VictorB02

Owen Cook Priceless Business Advice

147 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Jayson G said:

@Leo Gura I noticed a lot of smart, wise good people are trump supporters because they are ignorant of politics, and see some business advantages from Trump and turn a blind eye to all other bad stuff about trump. 

Of course. It's just a combination of ignorance, selfishness, and capitalism. The American Way.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Greatnestwithin said:

@Leo Gura does that mean your lifestyle has reduced?

I've never been interested in a lavish lifestyle. My life is modest and spartan.

Is there a place where we use money as a tool for transformation?

Sure: travel, seminars and workshops, hiring top consultants and coaches, hiring employees to work with.

why not commit to making a lot without getting Lost in it

For me that would be a betrayal of my higher values. If you care about maximizing profits you are already lost.

Posted (edited)

On 6/29/2024 at 1:58 PM, Miguel1 said:

I don't know man. It's probably much easier for you to say this now since you already made your millions doing the scummy marketing over a decade ago.

My goal is to become financially free, precisely so I can stop having to make money at all. Because I just can't figure out a way to make good money doing work that is at least partly connected to my life purpose + is completely conscious, mature, and fully ethical.  I don't want to be working a 9-5 job for decades of my life.

And truly, what even is a completely conscious, mature, and ethical work, business and marketing? How would it look? Does it even exist in our capitalist society?

Whether you run a business yourself or work for a company, marketing & sales are the heart of it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not promoting or practicing some sort of the worst possible scammy business endeavor, like many of these stage-orange money-hungry people do.

But there has to be a healthy and realistic balance to making it work in our late-stage capitalist society.

You have to also ask yourself: go crazy into marketing and sales, become free in a few years, and hope you don't get trapped and addicted to it VS do ''80%" conscious work & "20%" unconscious work for 50 years. Which one creates more harm? Which one would give you more freedom to enjoy and live a fulfilling life? Which one would give you the time and energy to provide more conscious value to humankind in your lifetime?

It's a fucking survival out there. Check if you are not living in a bubble and have taken your financial situation completely for granted after a decade of freedom.

I have tried to make good money fully consciously, honestly, and ethically for years... It's really really hard. Connect that to your life purpose and perhaps it's impossible for most (especially if you are on the more conscious side of development, which is the only reason one would be struggling with this in the first place). At some point, you gotta just stop living in fantasy and look at it more realistically. It's survival after all.

The problem with this approach is you’ll probably fail to get free quickly. Making lots of money is really hard even if you have initial success. And after grinding after money for years, you’re not the same person afterwards. 

In my first shot, I dropped out of a low-paid passion job to sell out, and become a millionaire in 3 years of grinding. But then I lost it all, and took years to recover. 

Now I figured out how to work 10 hours per week in a lucrative thing and spend my remaining 40 good hours on passion projects, but I would have been better off just sticking to the low-paid passion job in the first place. :)

Putting off doing what you like to make money first is like saving sex for your old age. Some people just like making money for it’s own sake and that works for them, but if you’ve got something you like that fulfills a need, you’re better off sticking to that even if it only makes a lower-middle-class income. I would go back to my lower-middle-class passion job if I could but I’m no longer competitive in that career track, so I have to settle for being an amateur crank. 

Edited by nerdspeak

Posted (edited)

Success is a highly variable thing. You take a big risk and it may or may not pay off.

Remember, on social media you only hear from people who got lucky and their risk paid off. Many weren't so lucky and failed, but you will never hear about them.

Edited by Leo Gura

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Success is a highly variable thing. You take a big risk and it may or may not pay off.

Remember, on social media you only hear from people who got lucky and their risk paid off. Many weren't so lucky and failed, but you will never hear about them.

Also on social media 95% of content is exaggerated and don’t consider the full picture.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Heaven said:

Also on social media 95% of content is exaggerated and don’t consider the full picture.

That too.

There's a lot of people selling pipe dreams.

Then again, big success is always possible with hard and smart work. So don't get discouraged.

Edited by Leo Gura

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I've never been interested in a lavish lifestyle. My life is modest and spartan.

Sure: travel, seminars and workshops, hiring top consultants and coaches, hiring employees to work with.

For me that would be a betrayal of my higher values. If you care about maximizing profits you are already lost.

@Leo Gura not so much profit for the sake of It. But in service of your vision. Like you mentioned hiring top coaches, consultants, buying a House, travelling, education. All of that costs a lot.

@Leo Gura so your point I think is: the more you prioritize money, the more you sell out. So how do we escape wage slavery and not have any financial concerns while prioritizing higher values? 

41 minutes ago, Butters said:

@Leo Gura so your point I think is: the more you prioritize money, the more you sell out. So how do we escape wage slavery and not have any financial concerns while prioritizing higher values? 

There is no good answer to that. Look around you. Survival is a nasty bitch.

In general, higher values require harder and smarter work and more time. Which is why people don't do them.

Posted (edited)

I solved this by just doing work that’s fun for me. As basically a freelancer so I don’t have a boss pushing me around, and I control my hours. 

What I do now is not as fun as being a graduate student / lecturer (the job I left to try to get rich), but it’s still fun enough to do 10-20 hours per week.  

A savings buffer of 6-12 months is good in case you get sick or need to pivot. I also have invested enough in a retirement account so that by the time I’m 70 I’ll have $800k or so if the economy keeps growing. I’ll keep contributing, but there’s also social security, medicaid, etc. 

Obsessing beyond that just isn’t worth it. You could be dead in a couple years, or the government could seize your assets, or this whole thing could just be a dream. 

Another approach if you’re too neurotic for what I just described, is to immigrate permanently to a welfare state. This takes planning but is surprisingly easy. 

Edited by nerdspeak

13 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I just care about higher values more than I care about money.

That doesn't mean I don't have to keep an eye on making money, but to me that's mostly a chore I would rather not do.

@Leo Gura does this mean you´ve made enough that you live from it or does your business require that you focus on making money each month and year to keep paying all your bills?¿

5 hours ago, nerdspeak said:

I solved this by just doing work that’s fun for me. As basically a freelancer so I don’t have a boss pushing me around, and I control my hours. 

What I do now is not as fun as being a graduate student / lecturer (the job I left to try to get rich), but it’s still fun enough to do 10-20 hours per week.  

A savings buffer of 6-12 months is good in case you get sick or need to pivot. I also have invested enough in a retirement account so that by the time I’m 70 I’ll have $800k or so if the economy keeps growing. I’ll keep contributing, but there’s also social security, medicaid, etc. 

Obsessing beyond that just isn’t worth it. You could be dead in a couple years, or the government could seize your assets, or this whole thing could just be a dream. 

Another approach if you’re too neurotic for what I just described, is to immigrate permanently to a welfare state. This takes planning but is surprisingly easy. 

👏 👏 👏 

Love that. So how long did it take you to get to only working 10 - 20 hours while saving plenty? 

And what do you mean by moving to welfare state? 

1 hour ago, Butters said:

👏 👏 👏 

Love that. So how long did it take you to get to only working 10 - 20 hours while saving plenty? 

And what do you mean by moving to welfare state? 

About five years. Anyone can build their skills to be worth $100-$150 per hour. I could have done it in two years but was a bit timid. 

By welfare states, I mean places like the Netherlands, Canada, and Germany, with free healthcare, generous unemployment insurance, free job retraining and education.

The more I think about it I realize that Owen is definitely in a bubble. He always says in his videos that it's not just LA or Hollywood that his realizations apply but everywhere. But even if he's traveling to other parts of the USA it's still his usual vibration he is attracting. Not to mention that all of America is just one giant bubble and as soon as you go to say 10 other countries spread across continents certain rules simply don't apply 

Posted (edited)

Do you guys know the backstory of Owen? He was miserable and depressed living in Kingston Canada then took a Boot Camp with Mystery, took his business model, and did it himself after moving to LA. It's a cool story, but it's hard to replicate. He threw himself into this and went out 7 days a week for years according to him and I believe it. He's speculated to have an ENFP personality type so he gets energized by going out and talking to people; perfect business for him. 

As an INTP I've studied game for years and been around pickup coaches. Most of the people who find great success in that career are ENTJs or ENFJs like Owen. 

I met Mystery himself; cool guy. Engaging speaker but seemed lost in nostalgia and deeply hurt. The story of pickup will be an interesting one for humanity.

Edited by LordFall

<3

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Greatnestwithin said:

@Leo Gura does this mean you´ve made enough that you live from it or does your business require that you focus on making money each month and year to keep paying all your bills?¿

I have enough to live on but I also need to make for the future and to fund other business ideas of mine.

My biggest expense is my other business ideas. I have plans to spend of $1M cash on a new biz.

Edited by Leo Gura

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, LordFall said:

He's speculated to have an ENFP personality

Owen in an introvert. Or so he says.

Of course pickup is designed for extroverts.

Edited by Leo Gura

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura

My biggest expense is my other business ideas. I have plans to spend of $1M cash on a new biz.

A game you've been developing? Or something else? A little sneak peek maybe :P

Edited by bazera

Posted (edited)

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I have enough to live on but I also need to make for the future and to fund other business ideas of mine.

@Leo Gura in what fields do you feel called to create business in? I imagine outside of personal development.❤️ Do you currently have more than one business? Like beyond actualized? 

Edited by Greatnestwithin

18 minutes ago, Greatnestwithin said:

@Leo Gura in what fields do you feel called to create business in? I imagine outside of personal development.❤️ Do you currently have more than one business? Like beyond actualized? 

MIND your own business ;)

But hehe, I’m also curious 😺