Nivsch

Are Algae/Fish oil supplements the only realistic way to get enough Omega 3?

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I want to make both my Omega 3 and Omega 6 to 3 ratio optimal through nutrition, but I can't rely on sardines long term because of the mercury they have.

Also I have read that Omega 3 from plant sources is being converted only in small percents (10-15%) to EPA and DHA.

What leaves us with supplements to the rest of our lives if we want to stay on optimal omega 3?

Or there is another safe way after all?

Thanks

Edited by Nivsch

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

Omega 3 from algae is the best way - Fish contain Omega-3 because they eat microalgae and plancton.
That said, please don't overconsume Omega-3s - there is more and more evidence that large amounts of omega 3 might actually be pro-arrythmogenic.
If you regularly eat fish-products, I would stay under 1,5mg (EPA/DHA)/day

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

Posted (edited)

@undeather Thanks, I will direct my effort to mainly reduce Omega 6 intake, and I heard something similar about the arrythmia, I will try to not pass this treshold you mentioned.

Its interesting whether its because of the supplementation of because the Omega 3 itself.

Actually in the previous 3 years I took like 150 capsules of fish oil with 400mg of EPA in each, and my EPA is still very low, what makes me to suspect the cause is mainly the high Omega 6 that competes with the EPA production, because my AA (omega 6 converted to active form) resulted in "High".

Edited by Nivsch

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

Posted (edited)

@Nivsch being High is not necessarily a cause for concern. Depends on the overall context 

Edited by Yimpa

@Yimpa What do you mean for example?

The thing is that I have Omega 6 to 3 ratio of 7.5:1 and AA/EPA of 36:1.

This is the best oil to take for a balance of the omegas.

Know thyself....

6 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

This is the best oil to take for a balance of the omegas.

We get plenty of omega6 through regular nutrition but commonly a lot less omega3. So only supplementing omega3 balances the omegas better. We also get good amounts of omega9 through nutrition. 

3 minutes ago, Jannes said:

We get plenty of omega6 through regular nutrition but commonly a lot less omega3. So only supplementing omega3 balances the omegas better. We also get good amounts of omega9 through nutrition. 

Ok.

Know thyself....

I was Vegan for 8 years. I consumed a lot chia/flaxseeds and an EPA/DHA algae oil supplement daily, and my omega 3 ratios weren't good and despite only taking half of the recommended dosage of DHA, my fatty acids tests put me above the suggested range for DHA, and the test even said DHA supps are the cause.

I switched to eating just Salmon and stopped eating seeds and DHA supps and my omega 3 levels are better.

IMO just eat Fish and you'll be ok. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, ZenAlex said:

I was Vegan for 8 years. I consumed a lot chia/flaxseeds and an EPA/DHA algae oil supplement daily, and my omega 3 ratios weren't good and despite only taking half of the recommended dosage of DHA, my fatty acids tests put me above the suggested range for DHA, and the test even said DHA supps are the cause.

I switched to eating just Salmon and stopped eating seeds and DHA supps and my omega 3 levels are better.

IMO just eat Fish and you'll be ok. 

Interesting. When you were vegan you ate a lot of soy/tahini/peanut butter/nuts/avocado/olives too?

Edited by Nivsch

Posted (edited)

50 minutes ago, Nivsch said:

Interesting. When you were vegan you ate a lot of soy/tahini/peanut butter/nuts/avocado/olives too?

For the last 6 months of my Veganism I ate 1, sometimes 2, portions of soy per day. 

No avocado, Tahini. No olives, although I did have some olive oil with salad/cooking. 

I was eating 1 portion of nuts, sometimes 2, and one portion of chia seeds 5-6 days a week. 

There may have been some variation depending on how many calories I needed. 

Edited by ZenAlex

Fish oil supplements go rancid quickly and can do more harm than good.

Know thyself....

14 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Fish oil supplements go rancid quickly and can do more harm than good.

Buying fish oil softgels during summer in Texas is very tricky. Even when I purchase them from the store (and the store tells me it’s shipped with ice packs), the soft gels all stick/lump together.

My next strategy is to stock up on them during the cooler seasons to last me through the hot summer months.

14 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

My next strategy is to stock up on them during the cooler seasons to last me through the hot summer months.

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

If you buy a fish oil/algae supplement, look for providers who regularly test the TOTOX-value ("total oxidation") of their products. 

A fascinating argument I tend to believe is that Omega-3 supplemetns show inconsistent study-results regarding their cardiovascular benefit because they usually don't/or half hazardly control for total-oxidation status. That might counteract some of the potential benefits. 

Edited by undeather

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

53 minutes ago, undeather said:

If you buy a fish oil/algae supplement, look for providers who regularly test the TOTOX-value ("total oxidation") of their products. 

A fascinating argument I tend to believe is that Omega-3 supplemetns show inconsistent study-results regarding their cardiovascular benefit because they usually don't/or half hazardly control for total-oxidation status. That might counteract some of the potential benefits. 

Why not just advise to eat Fish?

Unless they're vegan obviously

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, ZenAlex said:

Why not just advise to eat Fish?

Unless they're vegan obviously

Because of the mercury ):

Edited by Nivsch

7 hours ago, Nivsch said:

Because of the mercury ):

Not all fish have the same mercury levels, avoiding fish completely for this reason is silly.

Tuna definitely avoid, Salmon is not so bad. 

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, ZenAlex said:

Not all fish have the same mercury levels, avoiding fish completely for this reason is silly.

Tuna definitely avoid, Salmon is not so bad. 

Yes but regulary relying on this for the omega 3 will make the mercury to accumulate. I need something I can use on a daily basis or every 2-3 days that will give me enough omega 3.

Edited by Nivsch