Staples

Non-violent communication

44 posts in this topic

In one of Leo's recent videos, he mentioned he was going to do an episode on non-violent communication. I wanted to get ahead and see what the fuss was about before he made the episode, and found this gem:

It's a 3 hour video, so a great time killer for us self development nerds.

Seriously this has already totally changed my way of thinking about social activities and how we relate to people for the better. 

Very keen to see Leo's video on the topic, I think it will make the episode extra juicy having a little bit of extra background knowledge before diving straight in.

God and I worked things out

1 hour ago, Staples said:

It's a 3 hour video, so a great time killer for us self development nerds.

Wouldn't killing time be the last thing you'd want for someone into self-improvement? Being glad that the video is 3 hours long so that it takes up your time just seems to really be against the mood of self-improvement.

"Jesus in His love and mercy for me let me know who He really was. He is God who is born to be the Man, Jesus. Jesus was specifically born so that He could die because God is eternal and He cannot die, He had no beginning and He has no end. We have been separated from a relationship with God because of our sin."

This person here is misguided, but at least not a repressed sadistic killer trying to let out his frustrations by attempting murder through psychological torture the way that is characteristic specifically of the decrepit and completely incurable of those who believe in non-duality and Christianity. But don't be fooled, man is sinless by default. You are thrown into this reality without being told anything, that much can never be taken away by any ideologue.

@numbersinarow Give him a break. He went out of his way to research the topic and found something useful to him.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

56 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@numbersinarow Give him a break. He went out of his way to research the topic and found something useful to him.

Aww, so cute :x

Love you guys!

And thanks for the gem Staples.

The Love Hammer!

Img_2024_06_22_09_56_49.jpeg

Smacks anyone that needs it!

My father showed me this video and explained to me how he resonated with non violent communication as a paradigm shown here. My response was to tell him when violence is received viscerally, the response leads to violence against violence, or at least intolerance. And that this intolerance delivered an apathy towards a violent individual that would lead to the inability to reverse the cycle of judgment leading to a cruel sentence, mimicking the violence.

I'm an asshole for doing that but I don't know what other anecdotes to use to stop discord 

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Leo here is actually demostrating a bit of non-violent communication. Or in other words, if there is no need to use violence, why would we use it. We need to stop reacting all the time to everything with the impuse to be vocaly agressive or passive agreesive.

Posted (edited)

This video is indeed a great intro to NVC

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, numbersinarow said:

Wouldn't killing time be the last thing you'd want for someone into self-improvement? Being glad that the video is 3 hours long so that it takes up your time just seems to really be against the mood of self-improvement.

I think what he actually means is, because there are so many hrs in a day and one person can do so much and can usually only do one thing at a time; it's a great video to watch while doing something else as in driving (listen to), washing dishes, walking, exercising, cleaning etc etc. 

At least for me that's how I manage the time to listen to a lot of long videos. If I'm cooking, I'll have my laptop on the countertop listening, if I'm going for a walk, my bluetooth speaker is pumping listening to a podcast or video, cleaning my room, doing laundry etc etc. It's a great time killer in that aspect. 

Like if I click on the above video and it's something i see that interests me, I'll save it, make a note, and watch it when I'm able to, and what I'm doing doesn't need any concentration or attention. 

Edit: 5mins in and it's a video I'd watch or listen to because i like psychology-type stuff so I'll save it and watch later.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Know thyself....

Here's a summary video I found while browsing of the one OP posted that's about 17mins long for those who want a shorter version. 

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

Most religious people wouldn’t even bother taking this topic seriously. They would deny that they even use violent communication to begin with. Their religion has brainwashed them into thinking that they are saints!

It is important to widen your perspective.

Edited by Yimpa

Here is an example of how not to practice non-violent communication:

3 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

Here is an example of how not to practice non-violent communication:

We all have moments in our lives where we can snap and do terrible things in the next 10 seconds. Whether it's yelling at someone, breaking something, or assaulting someone with a pickaxe...

22 minutes ago, RightHand said:

We all have moments in our lives where we can snap and do terrible things in the next 10 seconds. Whether it's yelling at someone, breaking something, or assaulting someone with a pickaxe...

Lol, Everybody has done the first one, some have done the second, but the third....idk...takes a psycho for that one unless it's self-defense. 

Know thyself....

9 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

but the third....idk...takes a psycho for that one unless it's self-defense. 

I’ve most definitely done that in my past. And to my mother.

Fast forward 10 years and we are now best friends :)

Posted (edited)

41 minutes ago, RightHand said:

assaulting someone with a pickaxe

My typical weekend.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

My typical weekend.

Lol

Know thyself....

4 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

I’ve most definitely done that in my past. And to my mother.

Fast forward 10 years and we are now best friends :)

You assaulted your mother with a pick-axe? Tell me you're joking.

Know thyself....

Just now, Princess Arabia said:

You assaulted your mother with a pick-axe? Tell me you're joking.

Not with a pick-axe, but with a pot.