Staples

Non-violent communication

44 posts in this topic

All the spiritual gurus you look up to… yes, they’ve all done batshit things! They are protecting their spiritual egos by not disclosing said things.

Just now, Yimpa said:

Not with a pick-axe, but with a pot.

lol. That's the mother's job. Oh well. I would never think to assault my mother with anything, barely even got mad at her (to her face anyway), out of respect.

Know thyself....

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

All the spiritual gurus you look up to… yes, they’ve all done batshit things! They are protecting their spiritual egos by not disclosing said things.

I don't look up to Spiritual Gurus. I don't look up to people period. Admire, respect, love, appreciate etc, but not look up to. The only person I ever looked up to in my life was my mother and she's gone. Nothing she did or her personality, just for looking up to sake. No one else could ever fit that place.

Know thyself....

1 minute ago, Princess Arabia said:

lol. That's the mother's job. Oh well. I would never think to assault my mother with anything, barely even got mad at her (to her face anyway), out of respect.

It was necessary as part of my survival.

As for the respect part, she was actually disrespecting my autonomy (unknowingly) by imposing all of her belief systems onto me and expecting me to live up to all those standards.

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

It was necessary as part of my survival.

As for the respect part, she was actually disrespecting my autonomy (unknowingly) by imposing all of her belief systems onto me and expecting me to live up to all those standards.

To each is own. My mom got on my nerves sometimes too, but I would never look to hit her with a pot or anything and I used to get ass-whoopings from my mom as a child growing up in ja. Go get the belt, she would say. 

Know thyself....

The best way to learn non-violent communication is paradoxically learning what is violent communication. 

BSing yourself that you are a non-violent person won’t save you here.

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Yimpa said:

All the spiritual gurus you look up to… yes, they’ve all done batshit things!

One time I bit a crocodile.

Lessons in karma.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

51 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Lol, Everybody has done the first one, some have done the second, but the third....idk...takes a psycho for that one unless it's self-defense. 

Ye it was a joke. That girl is clearly deranged. 

Posted (edited)

4 minutes ago, RightHand said:

Ye it was a joke. That girl is clearly deranged. 

Wait up now, what about the guy, and it was a hammer she used. He threw drinks at her twice. Nothing deranged about responding to an attack.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Know thyself....

And then they got married. 

:x

4 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Wait up now, what about the guy, and it was a hammer she used. He threw drinks at her twice. Nothing deranged about responding to an attack.

The guy was a complete idiot, but throwing a hammer like that is no way near a proportionate response. It's at least 100 times worse. But maybe it's just my european mind, lol. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, RightHand said:

The guy was a complete idiot, but throwing a hammer like that is no way near a proportionate response. It's at least 100 times worse. But maybe it's just my european mind, lol. 

I'm not going to turn this into a debate and will leave it at this; but throwing your drink through the drive thru window at the cashier is being more than just an idiot, it is a crime. She didn't throw the hammer, she hit his windshield with it. Both were wrong but he started it and she was just responding. Ok enough of that.

Edited by Princess Arabia

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

Here is an example of non-violent communication:

Edited by Yimpa

Here is another example of NVC :

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Here is an example of how not to practice non-violent communication:

Love it. Good ol' classic violence. No need for any of this NVC stuff 😂

I would miss out on the joy of smashing a windshield in if I asked myself what needs the coffee purchaser was subtly expressing first.

Edited by Staples

God and I worked things out

12 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Lmao here's my non-example of NVC. Not as literally violent, but just as belligerent:

“We have two ears and one mouth so we can listen twice as much as we speak." -Epictetus

22 hours ago, Yimpa said:

People normally go to the bar to get hammered.

9 minutes ago, ryandesreu said:

People normally go to the bar to get hammered.

Talking to any human makes me hammered. 

I read this book back in 2021 and it was very helpful. I would say this form of communication is also the one I try to use with self inquiry.