Vagos

How to stop internal dialogue

12 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey folks. Has anyone found any good methods on how to stop the internal dialogue? This has started taking an actual toll in my life. There is always either an internal dialogue or a song constantly playing in my mind. Songs are especially annoying, the last song I hear always sticks in my mind for days even... I feel so alive and vibrant when I am in the present but then my mind slips away into random internal dialogues and songs again. I have meditated and practiced mindfulness for more than a year and it doesn't really help much. Have you find any tricks as to how to keep your mind in the present moment? I can instantly come to the present moment but then I get carried away again so getting in the present is not the problem, staying in the present is. It's so tricky. Sometimes I feel like I'm living life on mute or in black and white just because of that. Life passes by while I'm living random internal fantasies. And it's not something specific either, there is no pattern, the dialogues are taking place with close people or new encounters and they are about a vast array of subjects, like there is nothing specific that I have particularly obsessed about or anything. Also, has any of you found any supplements that might promote brain states associated with being in the present? 

Ps: Fun fact: I found out that while having the internal monologue or dialogue, the part of the brain that is responsible for speech gets completely activated indistinguishably from when you are actually talking out loud 

Ps#2: I also found out that trying to read text without verbalizing internally is a good exercise for this. I am currently trying it. 

Edited by Vagos

Posted (edited)

Realistically for me it only happens on an intense hardcore meditation retreat.

If you're just busy with normal life it's hard to stop it.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

It is challenging but you have to go back to being mindful of your experience as much as possible. I try to focus on my breath as much as I can throughout the day. Labeling emotions and labeling when internal dialogue arises is also helpful but that requires training in concentration 

Posted (edited)

I don't recommend the following at all but maybe there is some insight how to stop your monologues:

My girlfriend took an attraction on a themepark while high on lsd (please don't do that). she never ever would ride the attraction sober because out of fear of hight. But on LSD she was on a spiritual mission to overcome this fear. She was shaking and fighting with herself to do this attraction the whole 40 minutes where we were waiting in the waiting queue.

The ride was the most hardcore attraction with 4.5 g force, even I underestimated it's power. During this ride she could not even scream it was too fast and too strong. After the ride her inner monologue stopped completely for 5 hour. She was afraid that it will never come back but finally it did somehow.

Edited by OBEler

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Vagos said:

Has anyone found any good methods on how to stop the internal dialogue?

Brown noise shuts it quick.

Edited by Osaid

Describe a thought.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Vagos said:

Also, has any of you found any supplements that might promote brain states associated with being in the present? 

L-theanine may or may not create such brain waves IIRC.

You are always in the present though. If a thought is occurring, ask "to whom is the thought occurring"? The answer naturally follows as "me" and it will bring you to the present occurrence (you).

Edited by Osaid

Describe a thought.

5 hours ago, Vagos said:

Hey folks. Has anyone found any good methods on how to stop the internal dialogue? This has started taking an actual toll in my life. There is always either an internal dialogue or a song constantly playing in my mind. Songs are especially annoying, the last song I hear always sticks in my mind for days even... I feel so alive and vibrant when I am in the present but then my mind slips away into random internal dialogues and songs again. I have meditated and practiced mindfulness for more than a year and it doesn't really help much. Have you find any tricks as to how to keep your mind in the present moment? I can instantly come to the present moment but then I get carried away again so getting in the present is not the problem, staying in the present is. It's so tricky. Sometimes I feel like I'm living life on mute or in black and white just because of that. Life passes by while I'm living random internal fantasies. And it's not something specific either, there is no pattern, the dialogues are taking place with close people or new encounters and they are about a vast array of subjects, like there is nothing specific that I have particularly obsessed about or anything. Also, has any of you found any supplements that might promote brain states associated with being in the present? 

Ps: Fun fact: I found out that while having the internal monologue or dialogue, the part of the brain that is responsible for speech gets completely activated indistinguishably from when you are actually talking out loud 

Ps#2: I also found out that trying to read text without verbalizing internally is a good exercise for this. I am currently trying it. 

Long term meditation, darkness and silence, retreats are the key. Psychedelics will not help you for surrendering the monkey mind. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

4 hours ago, OBEler said:

I don't recommend the following at all but maybe there is some insight how to stop your monologues:

My girlfriend took an attraction on a themepark while high on lsd (please don't do that). she never ever would ride the attraction sober because out of fear of hight. But on LSD she was on a spiritual mission to overcome this fear. She was shaking and fighting with herself to do this attraction the whole 40 minutes where we were waiting in the waiting queue.

The ride was the most hardcore attraction with 4.5 g force, even I underestimated it's power. During this ride she could not even scream it was too fast and too strong. After the ride her inner monologue stopped completely for 5 hour. She was afraid that it will never come back but finally it did somehow.

Wow, hardcore girl

Posted (edited)

I’m not sure whether it is possible to stop it altogether. It can likely be reduced a great deal, such as when you’re relaxed and highly focused, but this is always temporary.

This seems to be a non-random dynamic. Try to stop thinking for a minute.

Then again, thinking mostly shows up for us as the internal dialogue.

Meditation would yield positive results, depending on how often and intensely it is done. 

Edited by UnbornTao

You can do it with hardcore meditation, mindfulness and using dispassion techniques.

What makes the difference is the amount of effort you put in achieving the same. You have to dedicate atleast an hour everyday for meditation, and try to be mindful throughout the day, no matter what you are doing. ( Includes pooping too).

But an excited and imaginative mind compared to a peaceful one has perks of its own, giving you the adrenaline now and then. Try to find the balance and your life will be fine.

Self-inquiry has diminished my internal dialogue a lot

Yes I can do it on command. But it's taken me actual years of practice, probably about 15 so far. What has it taught me? That my internal monologue is an ingrained habit nothing more and it's possible to function perfectly well without it. I'd say I'm more present more of the time as a result and I find it easier to sleep. But reading without subvocalising still eludes me - gosh darn it.

I started by exercising my peripheral vision whilst walking. So, you walk and look dead ahead but pay attention to what's going on to the sides of your vision or above and below. If you practise enough you'll realise you can actually see a lot more than you realise and you can get into "the zone" and start to see everything at once. The point is that it is actually hard to have internal monologue whilst doing this, try it. The meta-point is that focusing intensely on any task will reduce your internal monogue. Practising being focused intensely on what is actually happening around you will help. Lots of practice.

Notice also that there will be a slight amount of tension in your tongue when you talk to yourself. Sticking your tongue out and biting down gently on it (I advise doing it in private) will have some affect on your internal monologue.

Even hypnosis can work (although I'm quite suggestible):

For earworms don't take tablets. I just go to my favourite music outlet and play the song that's going around and around in my head, it soon gets rid of it - but make sure you listen to more songs afterwards. The danger is you get another earworm though, hey ho.

57% paranoid