quantumspiral

Are hardcore gamers immature?

50 posts in this topic

@Rafael Thundercat

8 minutes ago, Rafael Thundercat said:

imaturity is to open such nonsense topic.

Don't tell that to me, tell that to OP and @Leo Gura and mods, a good 50% of topics in this forum maybe nonsense, but nonsense relative to you. Don't forget that.

Posted (edited)

On 6/20/2024 at 8:53 AM, quantumspiral said:

I'm kind of baffled how some people can sink so many hours into games and remain excited for upcoming releases, year after year.

While I enjoy games, something about sitting there playing them intuitively feels wrong and I end up uninstalling everything. Most likely the feeling I'm wasting my life.

I'm trying to pinpoint the psychological reason that drives people towards hardcore gaming.

If you think they do lack maturity, what exactly about their psychology is it that makes them so?

Video games are just high-tech puzzles. Why aren't puzzle or board game nerds under such scrutiny. 

Video games are also like carpentry. If a person spends hours/days/decades in a woodshop carving wooden ducks nobody bats an eye. Similarly, video games are just something to do that uses hand eye coordination and strategy etc. 

Edited by enchanted

On 6/20/2024 at 10:47 PM, Leo Gura said:

Gamer culture tends to be very immature and toxic overall.

It's by man-children for man-children.

Even game developers tend to be immature boys. Look at how Blizzard is run. The president of Blizzard would whip his dick out at business meetings to impress investors. That's the level of maturity you're dealing with here.

Just look at gamer culture overall. It's pathetic.

Yeah, it was my tranquilizer for a long time to cope with what was happening at the time. BUT! It promotes pretty intense levels of creativity and problem solving, especially in creating games with good mechanics, good stories and way of telling them. There are still good games versus bad games. The problem is they are a coping mechanism. But so is making kids, running a business or whatever the most "purposeful" thing you can think of in the realm of doing and having. It's just that some delusions seem to be better than others or just more popular and accepted in society? Huh...

In practice most gamers are immature, but sometimes there are mature gamers out there too. A sign of a mature gamer is someone who doesn't take the games too seriously, just like some players in Civ games. I'm even experimenting in playing the India civ with liberty opening, to see if that 100% unhappiness from number of cities is an actual weakness because they did put their unique unit, the war elephant, replacing the chariot right after reserching the wheel, which IMO is a sign of game design that India should be played more like honor/liberty opening than tradition, yet has this civ unique weakness to it's population growth... 

I used to be one, very hardcore as well. Yes, they're immature, video games especially in excess are a very lethal poison for your social life, physique, and sex life. 

You'll dig yourself into a hole that will take years to dig yourself out of, and you won't even notice you're doing it, you'll be completely oblivious.

At least I'm confident I won't touch a video game ever in my life again.

أشهد أن لا إله إلا الله وأشهد أن ليو رسول الله

@quantumspiral If you look at mass market games and the archetypical gamer yes I would say they are mostly immature. Gaming is very dumbed down for the mass market and the mass market is mostly made up of young inexperienced men and kids. Tbf it’s not much different to streaming services which is also dumbed down but it’s more pronounced in gaming

I myself used to play quite a bit of video games. This didn’t displace my career and business ambitions but it did displace social time and developing my extrospective side. 

The style of games I am into are more mature grown up games imo. Strategy games like Civ, Anno, total war, Prison Architect etc. But it’s not just a maturity thing. The key issue for me was life priorities and time. Sinking hours into a virtual world at the expense of real life development will start to sting when you want more out of life

I am actually thinking about selling my gaming PC. I’m going to hold off on it for now in case I feel like playing during the colder winter months. I’ll see how it goes

@Husseinisdoingfine Man I sort of miss Xbox live, that shit is just like I remember it. The good old nights of flipping shit and kicking holes in my wall playing Modern Warfare 2.

As for the main topic of this post, I'd say a lot of it is escapism and being able to be more of a somebody online that you are in real life. Especially in competitive video games or stuff like MMORPG. I was a respected competitive LoL player for years while being an awkward nerd in real life. 

There's also something to be said for it enhancing the experience of life overall though with the fact that there really that many adventures you can go on in real life due to financial or just I mean lack of diversity problem. This will become an even more interesting experience in the next few years as we have metaverse and infinitely generatable worlds with AI generative video coming out soon. 

Especially when we end up with crypto gaming and the video games are tied to the global economy there will be not that much difference between them and real life. 

<3