stephenkettley

10 days sitting on a couch, just being.

26 posts in this topic

I want to setup a time in the next few months where I just sit and be for 12 hours a day doing nothing, sitting on my couch, for 10 days straight, only eating maybe at the beginning and end of each day. The goal is to connect with pure being as deeply as possible.

Is this guaranteed to produce powerful results or is it a potential hit and miss?

Posted (edited)

@stephenkettley not guaranteed but a super good start and could lead to a mystical experiences but don't go in with any expectation   Go into it with just an open mind and curiosity 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

Posted (edited)

Sounds good. I'd do it and see what happens. If you'd like, set a clear intent to experience who you are. Perhaps start with 3 days to get a sense of what the practice is like.

Maybe add some variety like stretching exercises and walking and cooking meditation in order to break the long periods of stillness with some movement. Good luck.

Edited by UnbornTao

Sounds good but try to sit on the floor with your back straight, if not you will become very uncomfortable in the couch, is not good for your body. 

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

@Javfly33  I would definitely not just sit on the couch but would stand at regular intervals and sit with healthy form!

what is the purpose behind your 10 day retreat?

will you actually do it?

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

Why would anything be guaranteed in this work?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Results guaranted or your money back.

In this case, you time back. But you cant get you time back. 

Go for it.

Interested in reading your conclusions.

When that couch transforms into a crocodile will you be truly AWAKE.

1 minute ago, Yimpa said:

When that couch transforms into a crocodile will you be truly AWAKE.

Those who ridicule crocodiles are in for a God-slappin'.

@Leo Gura Oof tough answer. But definitely the Truth. That lack of guarantee is what makes the work so deep.

I think you'd be way better off maintaining a consistent daily practice and then supplementing it with something like 10-day intense periodic efforts. The 10 days on their own may not be enough to produce a desirable effect if you're starting at more of a beginner level.

Another important point is that meditation doesn't strictly have to be an act of sitting perfectly still and focusing your attention. Some people simply don't do well with that technique, myself included. I've found much more success with what Adyashanti calls "true meditation". It's difficult to explain what's meant by that, but he does a good job in this clip.

To get good results your retreat needs a strict pratice, not just sitting and daydreaming.

Sitting for 10 days straight is a lot harder than it sounds. You will be in hell. So you need a good plan.

@Leo Gura The idea would be to push myself to sit for the 10 days and be aware of being present in the room and getting in touch with what is around me in as focused a way as possible

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, stephenkettley said:

@Leo Gura The idea would be to push myself to sit for the 10 days and be aware of being present in the room and getting in touch with what is around me in as focused a way as possible

It's a good idea, but do you understand how difficult that is?

Edited by Leo Gura

@stephenkettley

Do a concentration meditation where you focus on the touch of your thumb and other finger.

@Nemra I've been building up daily concentration with a metronome for a few months. I also have been doing what I call pure being, which is just to sit and be present in a room and nothing else. This is what I want to build up to 10 days over time.

Posted (edited)

@stephenkettley 

Your eyes will get tired too fast when you focus on something with them. But with feeling, you can get focused for hours, but it'll be too difficult because of distractions.

Also, why 12 hours?

Edited by Nemra

Posted (edited)

You’ll get better results if you were able to run 3 hours a day for a week.

Did Rocky Balboa sit on a couch to get his gains? I don’t think so. You ain’t gonna find enlightenment on a couch.

You realize that sitting on a couch that long is not good for your health. You will become a couch potato literally.

Edited by r0ckyreed

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed