Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Realms of Wonder

Brother is acting the fool, how do I support/love him?

7 posts in this topic

Hey all, I thought perhaps some of you could have some perspective to add.

My older brother (28,) sold most of his belongings and is now living in eastern Asia to gain experience. I think this is awesome, and I love seeing him grow. 

He knew when he left the US that at some point he'd need to start earning money because he only had about a year of savings when he left, now he has around 8 months.

When he talks about how he wants to earn money, its... Difficult to know what to do.  

He is focusing purely on earning money in an automated fashion. He says doesn't really care how he does it, even if it is re-selling courses, following get-rich-quick plans from Instagram, selling useless virtual products, etc.. He is rationalizing it to himself that its okay because he wants to earn enough money to be able to focus on what he wants. (which I get, he does want to focus on his music, but has convinced himself he doesn't have any skills he could earn money online with.)

I asked him, "Do you want to create value through your business plans?" he says, "I dont really care about it, I just want to earn money for now."

My concerns are the following.

1. Scamming or unconsciously hurting others to benefit himself.
  2. Ruining his reputation online, future work he does could be undermined by the things he does to earn money short term
  3. He may not even enjoy any of what he does to earn that money
  4. He could end up in a worse situation after spending money or paying some scammy guru for a get rich quick scheme.
  5. it seems foolish to go down this path, and I could see it creating problems for himself

My question is, how can support his journey and love him the most?

Would appreciate some feedback.

Warmly,

Paul

Waking Call The Inspiration, Music and Perspective for an Authentic Life.

If I were in your place, I'd just tell my brother to be careful and make sure he knows what he's getting into. It's his journey, after all. I wouldn't give him moral lessons unless he purposefully comes to me for advice.

Posted (edited)

Integrity and higher values are one of those things you can't force on someone.

He doesn't care about being a value provider. And that is that.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Thanks for the input, I'm realizing that perhaps the best things I can do for him is listen and give perspective IF he asks, and be an example by living my own life purpose, and creating value in my own life for the world.

21 hours ago, RightHand said:

If I were in your place, I'd just tell my brother to be careful and make sure he knows what he's getting into. It's his journey, after all. I wouldn't give him moral lessons unless he purposefully comes to me for advice.

Thanks for this, that's a good point.

20 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Integrity and higher values are one of those things you can't force on someone.

He doesn't care about being a value provider. And that is that.

Is there ways to lead people to value those things? Analogous to  how you inspire others to pursue higher values?

Posted (edited)

32 minutes ago, Realms of Wonder said:

Is there ways to lead people to value those things?

I don't know. In practice not. People need to already care enough to listen.

If you tell them and they dismiss it, then they don't care.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

23 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I don't know. In practice not. People need to already care enough to listen.

If you tell them and they dismiss it, then they don't care.

That is good feedback. Thank you.

On 6/18/2024 at 8:25 PM, Realms of Wonder said:

Hey all, I thought perhaps some of you could have some perspective to add.

My older brother (28,) sold most of his belongings and is now living in eastern Asia to gain experience. I think this is awesome, and I love seeing him grow. 

He knew when he left the US that at some point he'd need to start earning money because he only had about a year of savings when he left, now he has around 8 months.

When he talks about how he wants to earn money, its... Difficult to know what to do.  

He is focusing purely on earning money in an automated fashion. He says doesn't really care how he does it, even if it is re-selling courses, following get-rich-quick plans from Instagram, selling useless virtual products, etc.. He is rationalizing it to himself that its okay because he wants to earn enough money to be able to focus on what he wants. (which I get, he does want to focus on his music, but has convinced himself he doesn't have any skills he could earn money online with.)

I asked him, "Do you want to create value through your business plans?" he says, "I dont really care about it, I just want to earn money for now."

My concerns are the following.

1. Scamming or unconsciously hurting others to benefit himself.
  2. Ruining his reputation online, future work he does could be undermined by the things he does to earn money short term
  3. He may not even enjoy any of what he does to earn that money
  4. He could end up in a worse situation after spending money or paying some scammy guru for a get rich quick scheme.
  5. it seems foolish to go down this path, and I could see it creating problems for himself

My question is, how can support his journey and love him the most?

Would appreciate some feedback.

Warmly,

Paul

Apparently there's still aspects of him that he wants to explore.