integral

Bryan Johnson has Edited his DNA

100 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@aurum Yes, great points. An example of this is trace minerals. We grow our foods in soil that is reutilized over and over, with usually only a handful of minerals being replenished. Even whole foods are not as natural anymore. After learning about it, I'm now considering a trace minerals supplement.

Edited by PsychedelicEagle

Posted (edited)

20 hours ago, integral said:

let’s imagine a scenario where he dies from unexpected complications. Imagine how that would shatter your paradigm of science. It would be such a shock to your whole world view. You’re thinking sure but it will never happen because he’s so measured. 🤣

He is not doing science here, he is just experimenting on himself. All he is doing here is anecdotal evidence at best. I wished he used his money to fund real research on longevity instead of the complex and absurd things he is doing to himself.

Edited by LSD-Rumi

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.
Both of us will be consumed.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

"My speed of aging has dropped to 0.64"

This is such BS.

Its based on epigentical clocks/dna methlyation system. Its just a fun measurement

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, bambi said:

Its based on epigentical clocks/dna methlyation system. Its just a fun measurement

The problem with fun measurements is that Bryan has a huge amount of people following his content who can't tell a difference between what is objectively studied and what is some made up metric. Like, by default assume that , in general,  most people know almost nothing about biology, anatomy, nutrition and biochemistry.

Him making claims such as "I now celebrate my bday every 19 months" is not just odd, it is almost unethical because we have no accurate way of predicting lifespan at the moment and the metrics being used such as telomere lengths, antioxidant pools, translation & transcription efficiency are completely volatile and useless in humans outside of in-vivo mice studies who live in controlled laboratory environments. Why aren't we talking about the metrics where we actually have ROBUST HUMAN DATA on all-cause mortality risk reduction such as - Low ApoB levels, avoidance of insulin resistance, avoidance of hypertension, V02 Max, lower body strength, bone-mineral density, grip strength and smoking cessation. 

Guys will literally take this that Bryan has just extended his lifespan and they will be seeking this out themselves pumping their bodies with chemicals, pharmaceuticals and supplements from China. We have no idea what injecting yourself with follistatin does to your body in the next 5-20 years. What's gonna happen now is, young men all over the world will be flocking to these therapies to have more muscle and become immortal. What if it proves that high levels of follistatin  increase the risk of prostate cancer? How is this thinking different from taking anabolic steroids? 

Once upon a time we used to think that injecting mercury was therapeutic. We also used to attach leeches to people believing they cure blood disease and at one point, nobody believed that the reason Marie Currie and her husband died was extreme uranium irradiation - we didn't have the evidence and a lot of people had to die for us to get it. Now we have a guy setting trends for a whole generation and the scientists are scratching their heads thinking "is this even safe?" 

My side hassle is a nutritional therapist and even in my limited pool of clients, I already get asked lot of questions about Bryan and once I had a discovery call with a guy who literally wanted to do the whole protocol. This guy had no developed healthy habits, poor nutrition, no exercise, drank alcohol, vaped like a chimney and all he wanted to do was take a cocktail of supplements, peptides and eat broccoli and lentils....he was not interested in any sort of health optimisation advice at all and I had to reject him even tho he wanted to buy my most expensive package 

this is how far the bullshit has travelled and this is what I'm saying. people will ignore his advice around nutrition, lifestyle, sleep, routines, stress management and all of that and direct their attention to the flashy bits like injecting hormone blockers, taking metformin and 50 supplements per day, half of which are proabbly coming from some CHinese factories. 

I think Bryan is onto something, he is brave for doing what he does and it might, in some way, help advance the knowledge of medicine but in the absence of more knowledge, it would be prudent to be a bit more responsible with the way he communicates these things to the public....otherwise it all seems like one big sales pitch and a part of his marketing strategy on how to become rich and famous. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

The problem with fun measurements is that Bryan has a huge amount of people following his content who can't tell a difference between what is objectively studied and what is some made up metric. Like, by default assume that , in general,  most people know almost nothing about biology, anatomy, nutrition and biochemistry.

Him making claims such as "I now celebrate my bday every 19 months" is not just odd, it is almost unethical because we have no accurate way of predicting lifespan at the moment and the metrics being used such as telomere lengths, antioxidant pools, translation & transcription efficiency are completely volatile and useless in humans outside of in-vivo mice studies who live in controlled laboratory environments. Why aren't we talking about the metrics where we actually have ROBUST HUMAN DATA on all-cause mortality risk reduction such as - Low ApoB levels, avoidance of insulin resistance, avoidance of hypertension, V02 Max, lower body strength, bone-mineral density, grip strength and smoking cessation. 

Guys will literally take this that Bryan has just extended his lifespan and they will be seeking this out themselves pumping their bodies with chemicals, pharmaceuticals and supplements from China. We have no idea what injecting yourself with follistatin does to your body in the next 5-20 years. What's gonna happen now is, young men all over the world will be flocking to these therapies to have more muscle and become immortal. What if it proves that high levels of follistatin  increase the risk of prostate cancer? How is this thinking different from taking anabolic steroids? 

Once upon a time we used to think that injecting mercury was therapeutic. We also used to attach leeches to people believing they cure blood disease and at one point, nobody believed that the reason Marie Currie and her husband died was extreme uranium irradiation - we didn't have the evidence and a lot of people had to die for us to get it. Now we have a guy setting trends for a whole generation and the scientists are scratching their heads thinking "is this even safe?" 

My side hassle is a nutritional therapist and even in my limited pool of clients, I already get asked lot of questions about Bryan and once I had a discovery call with a guy who literally wanted to do the whole protocol. This guy had no developed healthy habits, poor nutrition, no exercise, drank alcohol, vaped like a chimney and all he wanted to do was take a cocktail of supplements, peptides and eat broccoli and lentils....he was not interested in any sort of health optimisation advice at all and I had to reject him even tho he wanted to buy my most expensive package 

this is how far the bullshit has travelled and this is what I'm saying. people will ignore his advice around nutrition, lifestyle, sleep, routines, stress management and all of that and direct their attention to the flashy bits like injecting hormone blockers, taking metformin and 50 supplements per day, half of which are proabbly coming from some CHinese factories. 

I think Bryan is onto something, he is brave for doing what he does and it might, in some way, help advance the knowledge of medicine but in the absence of more knowledge, it would be prudent to be a bit more responsible with the way he communicates these things to the public....otherwise it all seems like one big sales pitch and a part of his marketing strategy on how to become rich and famous. 

I try my best to stay out the ethics and morality game. I see it as net positive overall, and would definately not want to legislate against people like Bryan being able to experiment on themselves and share their data. Its a good thing to me, but understand there is always some colleteral damage, even this forum and Leo - theres a much stronger ethical claim around the information and experiences he shares.

Even if people copy his protocol is ging to be way better then the SAD imo

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

once I had a discovery call with a guy who literally wanted to do the whole protocol. This guy had no developed healthy habits, poor nutrition, no exercise, drank alcohol, vaped like a chimney and all he wanted to do was take a cocktail of supplements, peptides and eat broccoli and lentils....he was not interested in any sort of health optimisation advice at all and I had to reject him even tho he wanted to buy my most expensive package 

This is wild 😂. Follistatin injections Will likely become very popular in the bodybuilding industry because of what Bryan is doing. All bodybuilders at some point learn about Myostatin even when I was a kid I wanted to buy myostatin blockers. Now because of this increase in popularity it’s going to become the norm. As a kid I probably would’ve taken The injection with a friend if Bryan was selling it.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, LSD-Rumi said:

He is not doing science here, he is just experimenting on himself. All he is doing here is anecdotal evidence at best. I wished he used his money to fund real research on longevity instead of the complex and absurd things he is doing to himself.

😂 The first thing that came to mind when reading this was if he was doing real science that aligns with the healthcare industry he would probably already be dead. Lmao because healthcare is about managing disease but we should probably develop a life care industry where the goal is to maximize health.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, integral said:

All bodybuilders at some point learn about Myostatin even when I was a kid I wanted to buy myostatin blockers.

Sure thing, when I was a fat kid who was just getting into exercise I probably tried all the fat burners in the local store and not once did the sales assistant as "yo kid, why are you taking all this"..he was glad to get more business.

And this is for all the supplement companies who are profiting from all this crap (which is probably 60-80% of supplements on the global market at the moment) that basically does nothing other than create an expensive urine. They'll take your money and if it ever shows up that those supplements were harmful or contaminated or (best case scenario) useless, they'll just quietly raise their arms saying "but FDA didn't ban it"

There is very very few "health" companies out there who genuinely care about their consumer's wellbeing. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

If I had to bet, I would put my money on Bryan developing some sort of aggressively-growing, highly oncogenic form of cancer in the next, let's say 20 years. I would not wish that on him of course - but if you go by complex system principles, then this whole game is doomed to failure at some point. But let's see, maybe I am wrong!

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke

7 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Great points here.

It would be one thing if Bryan wanted to be a mega-rich guy quietly experimenting with longevity on himself out of the public eye. But he’s convinced that what he is doing is in service of humanity’s ultimate “Don’t Die” mission. So he wants to start a movement, which is always a potentially dangerous thing.

Another big critique I would make is people thinking they can just copy Bryan’s protocol. The whole point behind what he is doing is that it’s supposed to be highly individualized and based in robust data. If you think just purchasing his supplements and will give you the same result, this is wrong. And he knows this, but it seems like he encourages people anyway.

Also, are we even prepared as a society for such a massive leap in longevity of people? How are we going to have to restructure things when people are suddenly living almost twice as long?

All in all maybe it will turn out for the best. Maybe it would encourage people to take their health more seriously and ultimately advance longevity science. But there is going to be a lot of negative consequences from this.

Posted (edited)

I see this biohacker stuff like an extended performance art / grift.

You create a biohacker public persona and then monetize the shit out of it by selling hope and pills to gullible rubes.

Dave Asprey has pioneered that particular art. It's a very sneaky survival strategy.

Of course there will be a million dollar book deal, talkshow rounds, overpriced branded supplements, a special trademarked diet, and more.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, undeather said:

If I had to bet, I would put my money on Bryan developing some sort of aggressively-growing, highly oncogenic form of cancer in the next, let's say 20 years. I would not wish that on him of course - but if you go by complex system principles, then this whole game is doomed to failure at some point. But let's see, maybe I am wrong!

Can you explain what you mean, how is complex system principles relating to cancer in this instance?

7 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You create a biohacker public persona and then monetize the shit out of it by selling hope and pills to gullible rubes.

Dave Asprey has pioneered that particular art. It's a very sneaky survival strategy.

Of course there will be a million dollar book deal, talkshow rounds, overpriced branded supplements, and more.

Have you heard about Joe Dispenza’s work, there are tons of testimony of incredible recovery of big health issues on his YouTube channel.

He himself have recovered from damaged spinal cord. 

The devil is in the details.

6 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Omg Dave Asprey. He posted a whole video on urine therapy the other day.

I’m sure he knows some things, but he’s so ideologically contrarian at times it’s cringe.

1 minute ago, aurum said:

I’m sure he knows some things, but he’s so ideologically contrarian at times it’s cringe.

😬 

2 hours ago, aurum said:

Is he pissing in his Bulletproof Coffee (TM) yet?

2 hours ago, Schizophonia said:

Have you heard about Joe Dispenza’s work, there are tons of testimony of incredible recovery of big health issues on his YouTube channel.

Means nothing.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

Means nothing.

🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course there will be a million dollar book deal, talkshow rounds, overpriced branded supplements, and more.

Dr.Berg in a nutshell.

"Say to the sheep in your secrecy when you intend to slaughter it, Today you are slaughtered and tomorrow I am.
Both of us will be consumed.

My blood and your blood, my suffering and yours is the essence that nourishes the tree of existence.'"