cjoseph90

boiling tap water for cooking

11 posts in this topic

I know its not advised nor do I drink tap water ever, with exceptions.

How bad is it to cook rice / veggies with tap water? I just do it unconsciously without thinking, well.. i am boiling the water, yeah who knows whats really in the water- I live in spain.

Before anyone recommends reverse osmosis water filter, i rent so not an option and theres also the $$ aspect. Or distilled water. opinions?

Don’t worry about that. There is way more important rabbits hole (Stress, deficiencies…).

The devil is in the details.

16 minutes ago, Schizophonia said:

Don’t worry about that. There is way more important rabbits hole (Stress, deficiencies…).

*thumbs up* :) 

There are counter-top verisons for renters.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I use tap water for cooking. Only time I don't is when I'm boiling water for tea, or just making tea, I use bottled water. I have well water, but it wouldn't have mattered. That's just too much to be concerned about when cooking. Only time there's a concern is if there's an advisory. 

If we get too carried away about all this health stuff, it can drive us crazy. I try to concentrate more on the things that are really bad. Plenty there, so it's enough. I call drinks like coco cola really bad and artificial sweeteners and conventional air fresheners amongst others. 

Know thyself....

7 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

I use tap water for cooking. Only time I don't is when I'm boiling water for tea, or just making tea, I use bottled water. I have well water, but it wouldn't have mattered. That's just too much to be concerned about when cooking. Only time there's a concern is if there's an advisory. 

If we get too carried away about all this health stuff, it can drive us crazy. I try to concentrate more on the things that are really bad. Plenty there, so it's enough. I call drinks like coco cola really bad and artificial sweeteners and conventional air fresheners amongst others. 

Yup true, so many other things health wise to Drive US crazy, cant be perfecto but do the Best se can

Posted (edited)

Why don't you just get a Britta? It is not as powerful as RO but nowadays they remove quite a few contaminants. it is better than nothing.

Boiling won't remove any contaminants excepts bacteria and parasites and those aren't in our water anymore due to UV eradiation and chloritization, at least not in 1st world countries. 

I think we are taking the polluted water fearmongering a bit too far on this forum, please don't run into dehydration issues. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Why don't you just get a Britta? It is not as powerful as RO but nowadays they remove quite a few contaminants. it is better than nothing.

Boiling won't remove any contaminants excepts bacteria and parasites and those aren't in our water anymore due to UV eradiation and chloritization, at least not in 1st world countries. 

I think we are taking the polluted water fearmongering a bit too far on this forum, please don't run into dehydration issues. 

@Michael569 I do actually use a britta water jug, but i use it for drinking water, yeah i know theyre not as effective as other methods. Yh i might be overthinking it a bit too much

@cjoseph90 why not for cooking also? :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Posted (edited)

How does the tap water where you live rank worldwide?

I used to be skeeved out about drinking tap water in general, but then...

I've travelled to various countries mostly growing up, and had way worse quality water, including mountain spring filtered and treated water or whatever, so....

Edited by eos_nyxia

Posted (edited)

Boiling it will at least get rid of live pathogens, so there's that, but doesn't address anything you can't kill.

My mom still boils her tap water and drinks it warm or lukewarm; I think it's a Chinese thing. Having done this overseas (including to cook), personally, no one I've known has gotten sick from that, including myself.

I'm pretty sensitive myself, but I don't have long-term experience with consuming boiled tap water (mainly in Hong Kong). Quality is not great compared to what I'm used to here in BC/ Canada, but that's generally going to be the case anywhere else.

Edited by eos_nyxia