quantumspiral

Investing time into video games consciously

17 posts in this topic

Are there any games you consider worthy of investing time into? If so, what are some examples of games you've decided to play and what are your criteria for doing so?

Of course, most people play video games unconsciously- just satisfying an addiction, escaping life and numbing themselves. However, I do believe there are some games that are so good it's worth making the conscious decision to invest time into them. I felt this way about Red Dead Redemption 2- the world is just so beautifully crafted and the game is just so polished all around.

I feel this way about a game called Thrive too- an evolution simulation game where you control your organisms on a cellular level. This is because it ties into my LP which is all about understanding health / biology on the deepest levels of biochemistry / quantum mechanics.

I have to admit though the fact that there are still video essays and let's plays coming out the wazoo for RDR2, along with autistic levels of obsession for every tiny minutia of the game lore 6 years after release makes me cringe. Again, this isn't conscious investment but a symptom of escapism and a life devoid of meaning.

Other great games for me are ones that have detailed recreations of certain periods of history- AC Origins is a good example. I'm chomping at the bit for any game set in Mesoamerica too- Aztec, Mayan, whatever- I'd play.

Which consoles do you own?

12 hours ago, quantumspiral said:

I have to admit though the fact that there are still video essays and let's plays coming out the wazoo for RDR2, along with autistic levels of obsession for every tiny minutia of the game lore 6 years after release makes me cringe. Again, this isn't conscious investment but a symptom of escapism and a life devoid of meaning.

Games aren't about elevating people spiritually but the wonder of slipping into another world. In this respect RDR2 is very successful to many.

Not the first time someone makes a thread trying to mix gaming with self-improvement. At best you'll get something artistic out of games by playing them a bit but you shouldn't really be playing games if you think you got better things to do.

Posted (edited)

Video games are awesome.

The most notable positive effects of gaming include:

Improved cognitive abilities

Improved problem-solving skills and logic

Increased hand-to-eye coordination

Greater multi-tasking ability

Faster and more accurate decision-making

Enhanced prosocial behaviors

Better eyesight (attention to detail)

More physical activity with games that promote physical activity (VR, mobile games)

Appreciate and know art.

Appreciate and understand more about the mechanics of gaming.

Appreciate music

Edited by hyruga

@hyruga Interesting, they do have a negative impact on executive function however, which is a pretty big downside.

Posted (edited)

@Basman You could be right- it wouldn't take much for me to uninstall everything. I do not like how addicting games are. They can leave you with a frenetic energy after finishing, unlike the stillness you get from reading a book or doing something truly difficult in real life. 

Edited by quantumspiral

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, quantumspiral said:

Edited by quantumspiral

@quantumspiral not sure about video games that raise consciousness. I’ve always loved strategy games that make you think and plan ahead. Some can also be educational

I love the civ games. They’ve recently announced civ 7. Shame I just don’t have the time to play games like i used to 

I’d also recommend Anno 1800

Rainworld is amazing albeit the brutal learning curve for new players due to the difficulty being centered a lot around knowing what to do. It is not a game that is particularly difficult execution wise unlike something like Sekiro. It is hard to describe the beauty of the game, you really should try it out yourself. It has a bunch of Buddhist themes in its story, which I know many of you will appreciate.

giphy.gif

3.gif

Sekiro has been one of if not the best experiences I've had with gaming. The palpable sense of growth and accomplishment as you journey from start to finish is unlike any other games I've played. One of the best combat systems in gaming. You will be stonewalled in this game and you must grit your teeth and earnestly try. But the victories you get feel earned and are so worth it. My biggest triumphs in gaming have been with Sekiro.

ezgif-3-c0b64645d0.gif

Hell Let Loose is a bit of an acquired taste due to dying in one hit, forcing a much tactical and strategic playstyle. You will die a lot to enemies you can't even see clearly. But the immersion is unlike any other PvP games and when you succeed at the game, it is one of the most fun I've had with gaming. You will have tense and cinematic moments that will linger and stay with you as these "war stories", how you outsmarted an opponent by the skin of your teeth.

I was once camping along a grove out in the open and I was getting shot at, forcing me to go prone behind a nothing but a tree stump. I couldn't fire back, as I would get shot as soon as I rise from cover (the enemy knew exactly where I was while I didn't know where they where, only the general direction). But the enemy kept shooting at me so I waited till they ran out of ammo with their gun, at which I quickly rose from cover, found and shot them. Very few games can manage to give you "moments" like that that stick with you consistently.

images.jpg

Posted (edited)

1. I like playing hearthstone battlegrounds. What I learned from it is
    • Balance between planning and flexibility. You need some idea about what your "final team" needs to look like to be able to win. At the same time, you need to be flexible in your mind, react and adapt on the fly.
    • Communication and cooperation in the "team" mode
    • Problemsolving and systemic thinking (you gotta understand how the game elements connect to each other and how to use them)
    • Decision making under time pressure
    • ---> I teach soft skills and especially in conversations I have with people, the balance between planning and flexibility + read and react under time pressure comes in VERY HANDY. It's all just information that needs to be processed
    • Downside: It can be addictive and numbing as there is no "end", you can play infinite rounds
  2. All kind of strategy games like Total War, Hearts of Iron.
    • Cutting through complexity. Figuring out what is RELEVANT, and what is not
    • Problem solving and systemic thinking. I KNOW there is a way to win even on the toughest difficulty levels. So I play until I find this way. --> Fail. Analyze. Optimize your strategy. Fail. Try again. Optimize. Fail again. Optimize. Analyse feedback. Try again. Fail. Repeat until I cracked the code
    • --> Same as in life. Just without the consequences that you face in real life lol
  3. Whatever takes me into a "different world" - like Skyrim. Or Metro Exodus.
    • Playing just for fun, atmosphere, distraction
    • There is still optimizing, problemsolving etc. But it's more about the process, more about the story than the result
    • Process > result keeps me more "light hearted" in life than without gaming.  Or at least, that's what I tell myself :D

Edit: @hyruga Just realizing now what a great list you already made re positive effects

Edited by theleelajoker