enchanted

How is Buddhism wrong?

12 posts in this topic

What is the signal and what is noise? 

I hardly know anything about Buddhism, should I study it or just ignore it? 

Posted (edited)

@enchanted imo its a depressing approach seeking to reduce suffering, when you should be seeking to maximize joy.

Edited by emil1234

2 minutes ago, emil1234 said:

@enchanted imo its a depressing approach seeking to reduce suffering, when you should be seeking to maximize joy.

Good point 

Posted (edited)

It really depends on who is holding it. There's no such thing as "Buddhism", there are people who hold various ideas, some of which they call Buddhist.

There is a huge range of quality in Buddhism. From totally clueless to quite consciousness, and mostly somewhere in between.

You really need to evaluate on a person by person basis to get any kind of accuracy.

Keep in mind that most Buddhists don't even understand Buddhism.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

I recommend you study a few ancient, original sources on Buddhism--Huang Po, Rinzai, Dogen, Bodhidharma, Gautama--and make up your mind about it. Also remember to leave it all aside (any belief) when questioning existence on your own.

Edited by UnbornTao

I think that Buddhism has a religious premise that is not true (but who knows), which is: you are within a cycle of reincarnation that at a given moment will end, when you merge with the whole and reincarnation will not occur again.

If this were so, in eternity it would have already happened infinite times and would happen again infinite times. The ultimate goal of Buddhism seems to be stopping the wheel of reincarnation, and not full opening to your true nature. It maintains a certain identification, it does not promote total enlightenment. It assumes that being human is the final scale of the possibilities of sentient beings, and that from here we reach nirvana. I think it's just a religious idea

Zen is great for its simple and blunt attitude of "Practice and see for yourself", and Tibetan is great for filling in a bunch of lesser-known details relating to the subtle and subconscious areas of existence. It'd be best to take what's valuable from Buddhism while not giving it excessive weight. Ultimately, your success will come down to you.

Adyashanti and Thich Nhat Hanh are great teachers.  They focus a lot of embodying "being'ness"  

On 6/9/2024 at 9:10 PM, enchanted said:

Read Doctrine of the Buddha by George Grimm

I prefer Taoism much more 

On 6/9/2024 at 6:40 PM, enchanted said:

Buddhism aims with the study of the mind and using right approaches ( right speech, right livelihood, right effort and so on ) to minimize psychological suffering and ensure a disciplined mind that is conducive to the intrinsic bliss and joy in human nature or the Buddha nature within.

I find Buddhism clinical and coherent without the emotions of devotion based practices of other religions. 

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole

Posted (edited)

On 6/9/2024 at 6:43 PM, emil1234 said:

Understanding of Buddhist psychology enables one to understand the mechanics of psychological suffering.  There is no sin or punishment by God or gods, but only one's mental discipline or lack of it that determines one's happiness or unhappiness respectively. 

The exacting physical and mental regimen that may appear depressing are actually austerities that enable self-mastery. Buddha had emphasized a healthy body for ensuring the clarity and soundness of the mind.

Also the Buddha insists on students evaluating his teachings logically rather than accepting them blindly. 

'O bhikshus and wise men, just as a goldsmith would test his gold by burning, cutting, and rubbing it, so you must examine my words and accept them, but not merely out of reverence for me.' ~ Buddha , ghanavyuha sutra (Sutra of Dense Array)

Buddha emphasized personal observation and experience to examine the utility of a teaching, using the example of the goldsmith . If it is useful and non-harmful , use it ; if not , discard it.

Edited by Ajay0

Self-awareness is yoga. - Nisargadatta

Awareness is the great non-conceptual perfection. - Dzogchen

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. - Eckhart Tole