Something Funny

Do I need to use sunscreen?

6 posts in this topic

I work from office and my only exposure to the sun is cycling to work from 8-9 and cycling back home at 17-18. 

Plus whenever I am outside in the evening or on weekends.

So I am not sure if it is worth the hassle for me.

Also, are there any negative side effects (like heavy metals) to sunscreen?

I use sunscreen when there is a risk for sunburn. In Germany most of the year there is no risk. In summer sometimes there is a risk especially if you go to the beach where the sun is stronger. 

Most conventional sunscreens do have toxic ingredients and are not good for skin consumption for long periods of time. I have dark skin and that in itself is somewhat protective though not completely; but I don't go out in the sun a lot so I don't worry about it.

If you're concerned but don't want to use conventional sunscreen and don't go out in the sun a lot, a natural way to help is by eating lots of tomatoes (can Google this for more info) and using unrefined coconut oil on the skin.

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

I take Astaxanthin and use Vanicream brand sunscreen since I have very sensitive skin and eczema. The good news about sensitive skin is it makes love making 100x better!

You can also use a weather app or ask Google / Siri to know the UV index throughout the day. 

Edited by Yimpa

On 6/7/2024 at 2:09 PM, Something Funny said:

I work from office and my only exposure to the sun is cycling to work from 8-9 and cycling back home at 17-18. 

Plus whenever I am outside in the evening or on weekends.

So I am not sure if it is worth the hassle for me.

Also, are there any negative side effects (like heavy metals) to sunscreen?

If your skin doesn’t get ichy, red, tear off you are fine. If you are concerned about birthmarks exposed to the sun, visit dermatologist and check melanoma and other skin cancers, remove these birthmarks even if you don't like it. Otherwise you are fine.

Posted (edited)

I deliberately sunbathe every (sunny) day for 20 minutes; I try to expose as much skin as possible. I believe in a more natural lifestyle and that exposing ourselves to the sun might (or might not) have benefits beyond just Vitamin D.

Make sure you are eating foods that enhance your body's ability to cope with the sun, for example: https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/foods-reverse-sun-damage-skin-protection

Edited by PsychedelicEagle