ElvisN

Expert Stage

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm transitioning from stage Conformist to stage Expert in Susanne Cook Greuter's stages of ego development. What are some books, videos and YouTube channels I can follow to do so?

Edited by ElvisN

how old are you?

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

I live in a third world country.

No hate, but this forum is bunch of kids fresh out of college or starting in life or they dropped the acid few times  and everyone is claiming to be turquoise or unitive stage.

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, blackchair said:

No hate, but this forum is bunch of kids fresh out of college or starting in life or they dropped the acid few times  and everyone is claiming to be turquoise or unitive stage.

But he's claiming neither.

@ElvisN
The EDT model of Susan Cook Greuter is not the most popular psychology developmental model out there. I think the most popular one on the internet and on this forum Spiral Dynamics. Although I like the EDT model better when it comes to personal development, it's more nuanced than Spiral Dynamics, SD is the most popular one. Leo, did a extensive video series on SD, and in the main development section of this forum there's a topic for each colour. The Expert level of EDT is comparable with Orange of SD. 

I don't have too much practical advise for you, at least there's a lot of practical advise already to be found out there.

You can look in this topic :

For me the most "meta" advise I can give you for Expert/Orange is summed up perfectly in these two quotes:

- The illiterate of the 21st Century are not those who cannot read and write but those who cannot Learn, Unlearn and Relearn. - Alvin Toffler

Now with AI incoming it's important to prepare yourself for that, there will be a huge gap for success or even survival for the ones who can adapt the fastest.

- You were so preoccupied with whether you could. You didn't stop to think if you should. - Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)

Develop your moral compass more, believe me in Orange/Expert the limits will be continuously tested by the outside world. Be careful by crossing those boundaries for the outside world. But also realise that your moral compass is a result of your conformist background, so question it and adapt to higher levels.

Also, question the information you gather (including mine), that's the new super power you will develop now over conformist, instead of blindly accepting what is said.

Also also, on a personal note, it will not come into play now, but it will help develop you later, especially when you enter Yellow/Strategist. Be observant, notice things in all areas, when you see them enough you will notice connections which will turn into cause and effect. Store them somewhere in your brain or notes or something. Because the more you will see those connections they will turn into patterns, then you will see patterns in different domains, maybe the same, maybe different. Then you will start too see patterns within patterns, and now you're entering the domain of Fractals. It will help you with integrating Systems Thinking. Later on for Turquoise/Unitive you will expand it even further. But the groundwork for this is done in Orange/Expert.

Good luck out there man 👍🏼

Edited by OmniNaut

16 hours ago, OmniNaut said:

But he's claiming neither.

@ElvisN
The EDT model of Susan Cook Greuter is not the most popular psychology developmental model out there. I think the most popular one on the internet and on this forum Spiral Dynamics. Although I like the EDT model better when it comes to personal development, it's more nuanced than Spiral Dynamics, SD is the most popular one. Leo, did a extensive video series on SD, and in the main development section of this forum there's a topic for each colour. The Expert level of EDT is comparable with Orange of SD. 

I don't have too much practical advise for you, at least there's a lot of practical advise already to be found out there.

You can look in this topic :

For me the most "meta" advise I can give you for Expert/Orange is summed up perfectly in these two quotes:

- The illiterate of the 21st Century are not those who cannot read and write but those who cannot Learn, Unlearn and Relearn. - Alvin Toffler

Now with AI incoming it's important to prepare yourself for that, there will be a huge gap for success or even survival for the ones who can adapt the fastest.

- You were so preoccupied with whether you could. You didn't stop to think if you should. - Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park)

Develop your moral compass more, believe me in Orange/Expert the limits will be continuously tested by the outside world. Be careful by crossing those boundaries for the outside world. But also realise that your moral compass is a result of your conformist background, so question it and adapt to higher levels.

Also, question the information you gather (including mine), that's the new super power you will develop now over conformist, instead of blindly accepting what is said.

Also also, on a personal note, it will not come into play now, but it will help develop you later, especially when you enter Yellow/Strategist. Be observant, notice things in all areas, when you see them enough you will notice connections which will turn into cause and effect. Store them somewhere in your brain or notes or something. Because the more you will see those connections they will turn into patterns, then you will see patterns in different domains, maybe the same, maybe different. Then you will start too see patterns within patterns, and now you're entering the domain of Fractals. It will help you with integrating Systems Thinking. Later on for Turquoise/Unitive you will expand it even further. But the groundwork for this is done in Orange/Expert.

Good luck out there man 👍🏼

Dude, thanks!

On 6/5/2024 at 5:58 AM, ElvisN said:

I'm transitioning from stage Conformist to stage Expert in Susanne Cook Greuter's stages of ego development. What are some books, videos and YouTube channels I can follow to do so?

My respect to you for developing yourself wherever you are.

Coming into the expert stage, from what i can remember from my earlier years, involved knowing and practicing something to a tee. For me, I learned how to solve the Rubik's cube and became obsessed. I also watched lots of Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and became hyper interested in math. Rational, nerdy, technical stuff. None of my friends did these things. I think experts take pride in differentiating themselves from their peer group.

My personal examples aren't perfectly consistent with the model but they should give you a basic idea.

Posted (edited)

Love this quote.

For me, self-development goes along with duality of  increased freedom - increased responsibility. Can't have one without the other.

Alfred Adler has some nice concepts and ideas about it. Few notes: 1) Not easy to read 2) don't know how much of his book are available in English3) I don't agree with all of it (e.g. psychologist are all about, "patients",  "healing" and "fixing things" - I see it as "learning, "creating" and  "playing the game") 4) I still like him and pick the stuff I like and leave the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Individual_psychology

Edited by theleelajoker