r0ckyreed

What Is Time?

20 posts in this topic

I have been contemplating the nature of time for "some time." I also have been "waiting" for Leo to post a video about the nature of time for "some time" as well. :) 

I had an insight that time is dependent on consciousness. Me popping into existence is like blinking an eye. Me sleeping for 8 hours is like blinking an eye. Me dying and being dead will also be like a blink of eye. Life will be like a blink of an eye. But suffering will feeling like an eternity of wanting to keep our eyes shut.

Time is nothing but a construct of consciousness in the same way that physicality, thoughts, and emotions are as well. What is time really? Time is linked to memory and linked to societal/mental constructs. Look at history. We would say that history is an analysis of time, but really it is an analysis of stories, of memories, of consciousness. History never took place in "time." It takes place in memory and in consciousness (lived experience).

The past, present, and future are all constructs of consciousness. Other people will call it imagination, but I do not like that term because it seems to imply that it is entirely made up. Technically, time is "made up" by the Universe, but the "imagination" of the Universe is more powerful and fundamental than the imagination of a human. This is why I do not like using the word imagination because our only reference point for knowing what imagination is, is our own imagination. For instance, gravity is a construct of consciousness, which means to say that it is part of my experience. I cannot unimagine or unconstruct this construction no matter how much I as a human being tries because even I am part of this massive construction of infinite mind/intelligence. The intelligence that constructs life and all of its rules and games runs deeper than a human imagination. Time, space, matter, gravity, emotions, logic, evolution, politics, war, peace, etc. we could say are all the "laws" or constructs of Consciousness/Universe.

But lets not get off point. If time is a construction, then what is death? A construction? Well, what isn't a construction? Everything is a construction including the concept of construction!! Just because I say death and time are a construction does not mean that you won't get sick and that Uncle Sam won't ask you for taxes. Yes, those are all construction too, but change seems to exist. Change is also a construct but it seems to be more "real" or I should say less abstract than time. Time is very abstract because our only connection to time is the memory of it that occurs in this present moment. Change also occurs in the eternal present moment. If change did not occur, then it would contradict with infinity. Consciousness at its core remains unchanged but it constructs change and time.

The entire universe was supposedly created 14 billion years ago. But all of that story is happening within consciousness right now. It was as if that 14 billion years of the universe and then the 4 billion years of life where all constructed at this very moment. There is no difference between 14 billion years in the past and 14 billion years in the future. It all happens at the blink of eye, this very instance right now. 

So, was there such a thing as last Thursday? Is there such as thing as a year or 365 days? Yes and no. These things exist right now and they happened in the past because that is what consciousness is simulating. You can take photos of yourself and take videos of yourself and those you would say have "survived time." It is true that we can use various instruments within consciousness to further explore it. But the past and the future will always exist in the present because this is where life is. Videos/cameras have helped our memories of time improve in the same way that glasses help us to see. But if we do not use aspects of consciousness such as videos/cameras, then our memory of time will be just as blurry and foggy as if we took our glasses off.

The passage of time is also relative to one's state of consciousness. In moments of joy and pleasure, the passage of time appears to go by very quick. But suffering seems to keep us locked in the present moment for "much longer." But again, this is our perception of time, which is relative. The perception of time seems to also be mood-dependent too. People who are more depressed might experience time as feeling longer like that when people are bored. But when people have a lot of tasks to do and are occupied and enjoying life, it all seems to go by faster because the mind isn't even thinking about time. It seems like the more we think about time, the longer time feels?

Any rate, these are my initial thoughts about time. I will continue to contemplate it because I know this is just scratching the surface.

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

Time=Distance X velocity. 

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .

Check out my signature, That's what time is. 

Your last two posts have been very insightful. I think you're catching on to what "this" is. You're starting to realize certain things, it seems. 

Know thyself....

@Someone here Yes

Or to make it even more summarised

Time = motion, movement

Rationality is Stupidity, Love is Rationality

Posted (edited)

@r0ckyreed time is just a dimension like length and width and height.  It is the 4th dimension..And it exists in space.   All of this imaginary.    Physics is imaginary. 

Edited by Inliytened1

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

9 minutes ago, Inliytened1 said:

@r0ckyreed time is just a dimension like length and width and height.  It is the 4th dimension..And it exists in space.   All of this imaginary.    Physics is imaginary. 

Time is a construct like space, but space seems more “concrete” (if that is the right word here ;)) than time. I can observe space but cannot observe time. 

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

Posted (edited)

33 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Check out my signature, That's what time is. 

Your last two posts have been very insightful. I think you're catching on to what "this" is. You're starting to realize certain things, it seems. 

Thanks. A counter argument I would throw here is what about people who dissociate or are cognitively impaired like in a coma? Does time not exist with these people or is time just experienced differently? I don’t dismiss that we experience time subjectively. The idea of objective time doesn’t seem right.

Edited by r0ckyreed

I had a profound awakening into the nature of time. The explanation is so profound and unique that I decided to save it for an advanced course.

:P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

I have had some insights into time. I have tried to explain it to friends of mine and they say they understand but I am a bit skeptical because they couldn't really repeat back to me what I meant. 

I see time as more of a description of reality than something that actually exists. Change and movement happens and you use the story of time to conceive how quickly things are moving and changing. Yesterday is a story that helps you explain what is happening now but there is no time to observe. Nothing happened in the past. The experience now is constantly changing but it doesn't mean there is a separate thing called the past that exists as well where things happened. It all happened in the present. There is just the experience of now that changes but it doesn't change through time. Things like time can be imagined to help you make sense of what is going on now.

Edited by Jordan

The average person imagines multiple potential futures but only one past. This is because our eyes are in the front of our head, metaphorically speaking.

This enables the distinction of choice, which gives the person's ego some sense of omnipotence.

Time is right Now. Consciousness can only exist right Now. Everything happens within Consciousness. Nothing exists outside of Consciousness. Everything is one thing, Consciousness. Consciousness=Everything=Mind=Imagination. Everything Now is one mind's imagination, including any memories, thoughts of a backstory/history, and any concepts like Time. Any memory of a 'past' can only exist Now as a thought. Now is all there is. It has no beginning and no end and is eternal. 

Time is a human invention invented so we can keep track and measure as well as divide the present moment 😂,

like inches and miles, they exist only in your head, they don’t exist in the real world, same with money btw.

@Yousif your comment reminds me of the phrase "Time is money".

It seems a bit like a currency. We can save it, spend it, buy it and sell it.

Posted (edited)

Set aside what comes up for you, as it will get in the way of an open inquiry. Take a serious look, have a breakthrough, then tell me what it is. :D 

Edited by UnbornTao

Posted (edited)

Sadhguru answers this here brilliantly..

Time is basic, because there is Time first, space appears as an illusion, its only because you have Form and a Body that you perceive space, without those two things, then there is no space, and if You create a distance btwn what is You and Not You (Body/Mind) then time is not there either..

Fundamentally, there is no past or future, only Memory(past) and Imagination (future) all that really Exists is Present Moment NOW, previous Now's become memory immediately and future never has existed only in your mind via imagination!!  All you can do is Accept Now as it is, Respond to Now as it is, because if You don't then the past/memory will rule You, if You do then  Your Open to what may happen next...all of this is based on how well Your Bliss is established within You, that appears in the NOW..

As well Mind is past/future orientated, via the memory/imagination complex, and most everyone today is Mind Identified, but You are not the Mind or Body, so its an identification problem too..

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Posted (edited)

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I had a profound awakening into the nature of time. The explanation is so profound and unique that I decided to save it for an advanced course.

:P

I was gonna ask when you would release such a course, but then I remembered that time is an illusion. ;) 

Edited by r0ckyreed

I Am

Brains Do Not Exist 

Time and space are similar. Without space everything would be concentrated into a point or a singularity if you want. There would be no "room" for anything to exist in. The same for time. Without time everything would happen at once. There would be no "room" for stuff to happen in. I imagine that is what being God would be like: a singularity without space or time, everything would be "known", but it would also be a kind of "nothingness".

57% paranoid

Time is the measure of change. Without change there is no time. time itself is just an idea, ego. The ego is the idea we have of ourselves as a timeline. If you eliminate that idea there is no time. For a sardine there is no time because it does not see itself as a timeline from birth to death. Like anything else, time is created by whoever is aware of it. The sardine is not aware of time, so in the sardine dimension time does not exist. Humans are aware of time, therefore, in the human dimension time exists. For the aliens of the jx23 system, the concentric alternating inderdimensional flow exists, therefore in their dimension, that flow exists. 

Reality is infinite potential, conciousness is the manifestation of part of the existence, aka reality, time is just some dimension of the existence, between infinite other dimensions that we can't even imagine. 

On 28/05/2024 at 3:26 AM, Inliytened1 said:

The guy talks about spacetime like we talk about consciousness. Absolutely beautiful. Don't be quick to disregard things as imaginary. The water you drink is imaginary? It quenches your thirst for real.

The entire Universe conspired for you to sneeze