Something Funny

Is drinking water from plastic bottles bad for you?

40 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Many studies show that microplastics are everywhere. So yeah, you should avoid plastic where possible.

Best thing is to install an RO system in your place. It will pay for itself in a few years.

RO systems usually have all components that contact water made of plastic, which concerns me. However, I'll install one because buying bottled water wastes time and energy.

How does the water from your RO system taste?

Honoring the self I've grown to love.

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, shree said:

RO systems usually have all components that contact water made of plastic, which concerns me.

That is true, however I think it is a higher quality plastic.

Keep in mind, your bottled water probably also came from an RO system. I wonder if industrial RO water is plastic or metal or what?

It would be cool to find an all metal/ceramic RO system. But that will be expensive.

How does the water from your RO system taste?

It tastes perfect. Best water, zero weird taste.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura do you have any thoughts on water destillers?

They seem to be way cheaper, but do esentially the same thing, minus mineralization.

Edited by Something Funny

11 minutes ago, Something Funny said:

but do esentially the same thing, minus mineralization.

Distillers are actually strictly superior. Most RO systems are incapable of removing certain compounds like nanoplastics and VOCs due to design limits.

Some of the nasty gunk in your public water supply is so minute and slippery that the only surefire way to ensure absolutely pure water is to nuke it all and distill the shit out of it.

Minerals can always be re-added manually (or in my case received through food and supplements)

It's Love.

@RendHeaven is it actually this simple? I also thought about it, but there must be a reason why RO systems are a thing and why they are so expensive, right?

Here’s a neat solution:

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

@Leo Gura do you have any thoughts on water destillers?

They seem to be way cheaper, but do esentially the same thing, minus mineralization.

I have not researched them.

But distilled water is bad for you if you don't put minerals back into it, so be careful.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It would be cool to find an all metal/ceramic RO system. But that will be expensive.

Yes, I can imagine the cost of 6 or 7 replacement filters made out of metal or ceramic, plus the entire RO system.

Honoring the self I've grown to love.

Apparently traces of chemicals used during RO membranes production can be left in the membrane itself:

Probably best to test the water after buying the filter.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I have not researched them.

But distilled water is bad for you if you don't put minerals back into it, so be careful.

From a quick Google search drinking distilled water should be fine as long as you're getting the minerals from diet.

Or, is there something else to it that I'm missing?

It is but also the air you breathe is 10x worse.  

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

2 hours ago, arthurcgusmao said:

From a quick Google search drinking distilled water should be fine as long as you're getting the minerals from diet.

Or, is there something else to it that I'm missing?

Drinking distilled water is a no-no.

You can hurt yourself pretty badly that way.

39 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Drinking distilled water is a no-no.

You can hurt yourself pretty badly that way.

This is unfounded.

We have countless anecdotal accounts of people drinking distilled water and being at the best health of their lives.

I am personally coming up on 2 years into drinking exclusively distilled water, in pristine shape.

Credit to @Jason Actualization for changing my life with this insight.

Jason's mentor, Luke, is decades into drinking distilled water and is in no such danger.

This vague mineral concern is honestly really silly and is in some sense a mind-virus that paradigm-locks people from accessing the cleanest possible water (RO is NOT sufficient).

Minerals can ALWAYS be added back. So the only question is: do you want the cleanest possible water yes or no?

If you say yes, then get a water distiller.

7 hours ago, Something Funny said:

@RendHeaven is it actually this simple? I also thought about it, but there must be a reason why RO systems are a thing and why they are so expensive, right?

People overcomplicate shit. Sometimes, "less is more." Use discernment.

I've timestamped this video, he makes a detailed comparison of distilled vs RO

It's Love.

Look up the case of Aubrey Marcus. He drank distilled water for a month and it ruined his health to the point where he could barely function.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura A few countries heavily rely on distilled water. They get it from the ocean and remineralize it. It can be safe.

I suppose it’s a matter of if the additional cleanliness is worth the cost of minerals overtime.

Edited by yetineti

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Look up the case of Aubrey Marcus. He drank distilled water for a month and it ruined his health to the point where he could barely function.

I am not finding any information on this by googling "Aubrey Marcus distilled water," but let's assume your report about this guy is true.

I would like to ask him:

• 1) was he keeping track of his electrolytes during that 1 month duration? i.e. did he know the precise milligrams of calcium, magnesium, potassium, and sodium that he was receiving from food and supplements?
  • 2) did he bother to adjust his electrolyte intake when he first experienced health problems? For example, did he spike his sodium and potassium after feeling oncoming malfunction?
  • 3) what method of distillation was he using? Store-bought distilled water from a particular brand of plastic jug? Or did he use his own machine? If he was using a machine, which brand? Is all distilled water harmful to him? (all distilled water is in theory identical, but in practice may not be)
  • 4) What other health variables was he experimenting with? Historically I am guilty of introducing several new health optimizations into my life at once. I am lucky to have mostly gotten away with it, but in the case of a backfire, this is bad practice because I wouldn't truly know what the culprit is. As intelligent as Aubrey is, anybody is prone to misinterpretation of bodily feedback.

I find it hard to imagine that after 1 month of drinking pure H20 (which is no different than rainwater really) that your body would deteriorate. The human body is too intelligent to act so stupid. Imagine if all human bodies did that, we would be royally fucked lol. So I'm inclined to say that Marcus' case is either:

• 1) unique genetic sensitivity
  • 2) unique combination of environmental stimulus that triggered that result (distilled water likely played an effect IN COMBINATION with some other factors he was exposed to, because again, rainwater by itself should not obliterate you)
  • 3) misinterpretation of the damaging culprit (nobody can really know his interpretive accuracy, and I prefer not to doubt him. But it's still an option we ought to lay on the table)

For anybody reading this thread, I would still strongly recommend making the switch to distilled water. It's cheaper and cleaner than RO (by mechanical definition). At least try it for a few weeks. If you feel no difference, then why stop? If something feels off, then stop and revert.

Regardless of what competing expert opinions say, or the countless slew of anecdotes for both sides of the argument, the only trial that matters is the one that you consciously conduct on your own body.

By listening to basic feedback from your body, and studying the risks and benefits beforehand, you'll find a way to explore novel terrain without getting devoured by it

It's Love.

Posted (edited)

51 minutes ago, yetineti said:

and remineralize it.

Then it's no longer distilled.

Not mineralizing it is the thing I'm warning about.

Edited by Leo Gura

Regarding Aubrey, my suspicion is that he was engaging in extended water-only fasting, a practice that necessitates electrolyte incorporation.

For anyone nourishing themselves at least once every 24 hours, assuming an intelligently orchestrated intake, (i.e., ensuring micronutrient sufficiency from any and all angles) the fact that distilled water is absent minerals/electrolytes is entirely moot in my estimation.

Water distillation emulates the water cycle, in fact superiorly, because it eliminates the unfortunate modern element that is air pollution, and the inevitable micro and nanoplastics therein.

For anyone currently on the fence in their contemplation of whether or not to drink distilled water, I have just released this video offering an examination of my own reasoning in the hopes that it resonates with you.