Leo Gura

You Are All Wrong! - Happy Memorial Day

51 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura some years ago you mentioned in some other context how crucial it is to truly respect another persons agency. That point stuck with me and it has been very helpful in many contexts. Whether it is relating to an addict or a discussion about vaccines or talking to a fundamentalist Christian, I just keep realizing how important of a foundation it is to truly respect a persons need for agency, independence and self-determination when discussing any of these things. 

For example, I am pro-vax, but I started to see how the so called anti-vaxxers were just often super anxious and frustrated because they sensed their agency was being breached. Kind of like if some authority figure orders you to take out the trash. If it is expressed in a way that doesn't leave open the possibility of saying no, it might feel like a self-betrayal to force oneself to do it, even though it practically isn't a big deal. All the theories and conspiracies are secondary effects of people who felt their sense of agency was being breached and the strong emotions connected with that. I started to feel more at peace with the anti-vaxxers when I saw what the underlying need was, I was able to connect to that experience of lacking a sense of agency in some way, because I had also felt that in another situation. 

Trying to see and connect to the underlying emotion and needs can be like an antidote to dehumanization and an engine for empathy. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, TheAlchemist said:

@Leo Gura some years ago you mentioned in some other context how crucial it is to truly respect another persons agency. That point stuck with me and it has been very helpful in many contexts. Whether it is relating to an addict or a discussion about vaccines or talking to a fundamentalist Christian, I just keep realizing how important of a foundation it is to truly respect a persons need for agency, independence and self-determination when discussing any of these things. 

For example, I am pro-vax, but I started to see how the so called anti-vaxxers were just often super anxious and frustrated because they sensed their agency was being breached. Kind of like if some authority figure orders you to take out the trash. If it is expressed in a way that doesn't leave open the possibility of saying no, it might feel like a self-betrayal to force oneself to do it, even though it practically isn't a big deal. All the theories and conspiracies are secondary effects of people who felt their sense of agency was being breached and the strong emotions connected with that. I started to feel more at peace with the anti-vaxxers when I saw what the underlying need was, I was able to connect to that experience of lacking a sense of agency in some way, because I had also felt that in another situation. 

That's correct.

There is a backlash against Big Pharma and the mainstream healthcare system because it does gaslight people and get many things wrong, and it is very corrupted by capitalism. But people over-compensate for that and misuse skepticism and cynicism and fall into fantasies.

RFK Jr and his ilk are the prime example of this backlash and overreaction, which falls into falsehood and foolishness.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just want to send leo and the whole community here a big hug!

we have something cherishable here:)

Thanks for the video

Posted (edited)

Sharp and potent video @Leo Gura. The recognition of your audience, their intelligence, and the love of your community was quite a profound moment. I also resonated with a lot of the wrongdoings you mentioned. It truly made me rethink a lot of my life and behavior in a deep structural way. 

Now time to actually make some changes.

Edited by VictorB02

“The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.”  ~ Meister Eckhart

Now that's a mature video.

I imagine it must have been pretty gut-wrenching to come up with your weaknesses and shadow stuff, let alone talking about them publicly. However, I truly think that now you're ready to take Actualized.org to the next level and come up with even more valuable insights. Hats off to you!

This topic seems fundamental to self-improvement and overdue. However, I understand the difficulty of this subject. It takes much integrity, maturity, and ego development to admit you were wrong in this manner. Excellent video, and good to hear that you revived your life purpose. 

Not strawmanning, finding the signal in the noise, being impeccable with your word, and reframing are the points that resonate with me.

Also, my thoughts about the traps of memorial day: You all, especially Americans, should actually be sad about what was lost during the war of American independence, because what the founding father's vision of a Republic, is now so distorted and corrupted in today's world that they would be rolling in their graves.

Also a sad moment for me as well, that GB lost this war, and failed to free the slaves much sooner, which led to the American civil war of the north and south. If GB won, we'd actually resolve the Atlantic slave trade much sooner in America as my country was anti slavery for the most part throughout.😔

Come to think of it, a new episode “The Traps of Being Right” might be nice :D

@Leo Gura I really appreciate this episode. The moment you released it a week ago, I was like yeah this is not for me. And I usually never say that with your episodes. Then today I was like let me just watch the first 4 minutes and last 4 minutes, because you usually talk about the courses you plan to launch and the future of actualized.org, and slowly I got sucked into watching the majority of the video, until I started deeply contemplating this for myself. 

Upon going deep into contemplation, I can't believe how utterly wrong I was about some things. It's almost gotten to the point where I'm feeling disgust, shock, etc. in my behavior, particularly my desperate chase for money over these years and just seeing the extent to which that has caused so much negative effects, or getting so lost in theory and philosophy without really gaining massive experience of life. 

Game-changing episode. 

Posted (edited)

Came across this quote from Anhony DeMello that I thought went along quite nicely with this episode :D

“I'm going to write a book someday and the title will be I'm an Ass, You're an Ass.

That's the most liberating, wonderful thing in the world, when you openly admit you're an ass. It's wonderful.

When people tell me, "You're wrong." I say, "What can you expect of an ass?"

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse