Buck Edwards

Peter Ralston interview by Leo Gura.

378 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's actually an amazing story.

I did the 100 questions exercise from my Life Purpose Course, where you write down your top 100 questions you want answers to most badly.

My #1 question was: What is consciousness?

So the next day I went to Amazon and typed in What is consciousness? and Ralston's book was the first to appear. And as soon as I saw its title I immediately knew this was the most serious book on this topic.

And so it was.

That is the power of asking good questions.

Yeah- how I found your channel was when I typed in: what is addiction?  The first video I found of yours was your video on addiction. 

Wisdom.  Truth.  Love.

I have found Leo by typing "how to get good grades." Got hooked with the Enlightenment stuff later.

Posted (edited)

I found Actualized.org by searching  " how to meditate" on YT back in 2016.

I already was familiar with his face because he was recommended to me sometimes on the side bar as I watched PUA content so I picked his vid out of all. Also the " No BS " in the title caught my attention.

It's actually still his most popular video

I knew about meditation because it was an ability in the old pokemon Gameboy games and out of nowhere I had the curiosity to find out what it actually is

Edited by mmKay

Recently Tamed Feral Buddhist Critter                   Restful Cube        

Posted (edited)

I was on a self-help website that recommended Leo's "How to Meditate: The No Bullshit Guide to Meditation" video because I was interested in meditation, visualization, and hypnosis.

Edited by Nemra

I found Leo by searching Maslow's hierarchy of needs. I feel like everybody in the last few years found you through search, and not through recommendations. That's unfortunate, don't know why that happens, the videos still get good views

18 minutes ago, The Renaissance Man said:

I feel like everybody in the last few years found you through search, and not through recommendations.

I found Leo through recommendations. His video What Is Truth? appeared and caught my attention. You never know how the algorythm will work.

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

Posted (edited)

That is because I optimized my early work for search.

I was an SEO master.

But I stopped doing that long ago.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, Ishanga said:

am telling You I've never heard of Ralston since I came to this forum, if he was so great I would have heard of him...

This is not a point in your favor, it is a point against you.

When are you guys gonna learn that all the stuff you've heard of, all the stuff that is most popular and well-known, is not the best, it's merely what the ignorant masses think is best because they are too lazy to actually seek out the best.

The most advanced humans in the world no one has ever heard of.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura By the way, I noticed Ralston, especially in The Art of Mastery, and much less in Zen Body-Being which has a lot more (and was written 20 years prior), was super careful with not giving examples to accompany his principles. The reason is to avoid any conceptual preconception that is not the experience of the principle itself.

But this has lead to me needing to go through certain parts like 15 times, and still having doubts.

From your videos I've seen you've taken quite the opposite stance on this, providing countless examples to triangulate the idea. While it's still true that no example will equate direct experience, all of us have years of more or less nuanced observations, and I found examples really useful to point to the right kind of experience, or at least have a hint.

To me examples have felt more effective, even if they're not the thing, they point to it more precisely. Is this why you've decided to take this route?

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, The Renaissance Man said:

@Leo Gura By the way, I noticed Ralston, especially in The Art of Mastery, and much less in Zen Body-Being which has a lot more (and was written 20 years prior), was super careful with not giving examples to accompany his principles. The reason is to avoid any conceptual preconception that is not the experience of the principle itself.

But this has lead to me needing to go through certain parts like 15 times, and still having doubts.

From your videos I've seen you've taken quite the opposite stance on this, providing countless examples to triangulate the idea. While it's still true that no example will equate direct experience, all of us have years of more or less nuanced observations, and I found examples really useful to point to the right kind of experience, or at least have a hint.

To me examples have felt more effective, even if they're not the thing, they point to it more precisely. Is this why you've decided to take this route?

I would argue it's very ineffective to teach any kind of abstractions or principles without a slew of examples because your mind simply cannot grasp an abstraction out of thin air. The abstraction was originally derived from specific examples.

How did Ralston develop his principles? By confronting real life examples and themln having abstract insights from them.

This is why I shower you with examples. Because examples are empirical while the abstractions and generalizations are not. If you had the right collection of examples you could easily derive the principles yourself.

Ralston's style of teaching is often not effective because it is too advanced.

Edited by Leo Gura

55 minutes ago, The Renaissance Man said:

especially in The Art of Mastery

Yeah, you need to create the experience of the principles itself.

Ralston's books are dense but extremely worth reading.

You'll get a completely unique view of reality/experience.

Zen Body Being is a piece of art.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

This is not a point in your favor, it is a point against you.

When are you guys gonna learn that all the stuff you've heard of, all the stuff that is most popular and well-known, is not the best, it's merely what the ignorant masses think is best because they are too lazy to actually seek out the best.

The most advanced humans in the world no one has ever heard of.

This is True in most cases, not all though, like I said I did plenty of research on Chinese Martial Arts, and allot of others, I know for the most part who's who in Chinese Martial Arts, and Ralston's name never came up, but like I have been saying he does have skills for sure, if he trained allot and with the Masters he said he has then he has to have skills... and I agree that there are plenty of unknowns out there that are top level as well, when Bruce Lee was alive I bet there were a few unknowns at his level, but unknown and probably still today, my own 1st Sifu was an unknown, living in an isolated small town in Canada, but trained like a motherfucker and proved his skills a few times, but is basically unknown, he teaches and has schools but isn't high profile type person...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, Ishanga said:

if he trained allot and with the Masters he said he has then he has to have skills...

He didn't train with the masters. He traveled all across Asia looking for masters and only found 1 guy who knew better than him.

Ralston IS the master. He made it himself from scratch based on insane consciousness.

Nothing in the martial world is based on insane consciousness. It's based on being a chimp.

No one here understands what Ralston accomplished.

Edited by Leo Gura

56 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He didn't train with the masters. He traveled all across Asia looking for masters and only found 1 guy who knew better than him.

Ralston IS the master.

;);)

Posted (edited)

I feel so dumb watching this interview. He looks like a 5yo who can’t hold his laughter and I’m just so fucking attached to my ego/ reality that I can’t get the joke 🤣

Jokes aside, his book is my bible, really appreciate his work 

Edited by MsNobody

"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." Shakespeare

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCqtX3EPGsnmWjK76m5Vpbw

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

If you had the right collection of examples you could easily derive the principles yourself.

Very interesting, never thought about it this way

…probably only using 0.0000001% power xD