Buck Edwards

Peter Ralston interview by Leo Gura.

378 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, bambi said:

Do you genuinely think he can beat an MMA fighter, or that hsi martial arts system is more effective?

He won the 1978 world tournament of MMA to ilustrate that it was indeed effective and then Peter Ralston left the competition world.

https://chenghsin.com/peter-ralston-1978-world-tournament-pictures/

We just talked about it in the page before. You can find more information about it online, if you care to answer your own question. You may also wanna read the reviews of elite sportsman on his book: Zen Body-Being: An Enlightened Approach to Physical Skill, Grace, and Power. Or even read it yourself, it changed how I used my body forever!

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

2 minutes ago, Davino said:

He won the 1978 world tournament of MMA to ilustrate that it was indeed effective and then Peter Ralston left the competition world.

https://chenghsin.com/peter-ralston-1978-world-tournament-pictures/

We just talked about it in the page before. You can find more information about it online, if you care to answer your own question. You may also wanna read the reviews of elite sportsman on his book: Zen Body-Being: An Enlightened Approach to Physical Skill, Grace, and Power. Or even read it yourself, it changed how I used my body forever!

Eh, a full contact karate tournement is NOT mma LOL!

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, bambi said:

Every sport advances as people build on and exploit past work.

What is amazing about Ralston's success is that it wasn't grounded in physical technique, it was grounded in a new way of percieving and understanding reality. New insights which no human has ever had. Whether he is the strongest guy in the world is beside the point. You could also crush him with a bulldozer. But that doesn't detract from his understanding of combat. There are some things you can only achieve through brute force and other things only through new kinds of consciousness.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, bambi said:

You think you can rationalize your way out of this?

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

1 minute ago, Davino said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

What is amazing about Ralston's success is that it wasn't grounded in physical technique, it was grounded in a new way of percieving and understanding reality. New insights which no humans has ever had.

Sure, karate, kung fu might have had an influence over all on martial arts, even ralston specifically might have had an inovvative impact on karate. But this doesnt mean he beats an MMA fighter, this is stupidity

5 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

What is amazing about Ralston's success is that it wasn't grounded in physical technique, it was grounded in a new way of percieving and understanding reality. New insights which no human has ever had. Whether he is the strongest guy in the world is beside the point. You could also crush him with a bulldozer. But that doesn't detract from his understanding of combat. There are some things you can only achieve through brute force and other things only through new kinds of consciousness.

But the understanding is untested. If his school produced some amazing fighters or something then that would be different, but they dont seem to.

4 minutes ago, Davino said:

Im confused, I cant tell if your joking or being serious (sorry)

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, bambi said:

Sure, karate, kung fu might have had an influence over all on martial arts, even ralston specifically might have had an inovvative impact on karate. But this doesnt mean he beats an MMA fighter, this is stupidity

Ralston laughs at karate. He says its bullshit.

Ralston does not use any human-invented martial art. That's the genius of his work.

Edited by Leo Gura

6 minutes ago, Scholar said:

But the understanding is untested. If his school produced some amazing fighters or something then that would be different, but they dont seem to.

He tested it in his time and beat everyone. What else do you want?

His apprentices do not have his insane level of consciousness, so they won't be very good.

Ralston laughs a karate. He says its pure bullshit.

Oh because he says so...

Please.

2 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

He tested it in his time and beat everyone. What else do you want?

His apprentices do not have his insane level of consciousness, so they won't be very good.

Do you honestly, genuinely think if he went to rio in the 70s and fought some of the Gracies, that he would have won? Do you honestly think this?

Posted (edited)

High Levels of Consciousness have nothing really to do with Fighting, actually its a deterrent lol, Look at Bruce Lee, he had high level of "Understanding" of Consciousness, but he didn't achieve a high level within himself, but he could fight and react and learn like no one else, and he had a burning desire to prove it to all comers, its just his goal was not fighting in the ring, he knew it would give him brain damage (like Michael J White today, top level Martial Artist, could have competed but didn't want brain damage later on)...

It looks like Ralston learned from high level teachers in China, I sort of recognize the teachers names, but all of these guys we relatively low level fighters compared to the Ali's, or MMA guys of today, they are pro's simply because they dedicate their lives to it, and they luv to fight, as Bruce L did...In my first organization that I was involved back in the 80's, they had a fighter that as well won the "World Title" in Kung fu, but its not really the World, its an association of sorts of different groups, there was no Money involved just status, then You have Frank Dux (the guy that inspired Blood Sport the Van Damme movie), he's a real guy and fighter/martial artist, he too says he fought in these underground Kumite tournaments, and they fought like 10-15 fights a day he says, I don't think that is possible, so its all Relative, yes Ralston has skills and for his day it may have been sort of high, but its not world class for sure...

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, bambi said:

Do you honestly, genuinely think if he went to rio in the 70s and fought some of the Gracies, that he would have won? Do you honestly think this?

No, the Gracies beat most everyone simply because their technique and strategy was unique (it wouldn't work today as well, as the fighters of today are ready for it) and because it is very hard to stop someone with grappling with You, if that is their intent, and most fighters of that day did not know about range control, perception ability, proper power and finese of movement, Bruce L really blew ppl away but his stuff was not main stream and it didn't sell because the main stream was making money and they stifled Bruce's stuff, he fought in street fights karate guys, kung fu guys, boxers and all sorts of fighters of all sizes and he blew them away quickly, he would enter in on them close range and blow them out as they didn't know what to do when he got that close to them...all the top level karate fighters (including Chuck Norris) came to him to learn...

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, bambi said:

I'm no expert in martial arts. But my guess is yes.

Of course the rules of the combat have to be established. I don't know if they fought by similar rules.

Edited by Leo Gura

I'm no expert in martial arts. But my guess is yes.

Of course the rules of the combat have to be established. I don't know if they fought by similar rules.

Ralston would be mauled ruthlessly by each one the the Gracies, including Helio their grandfather. No one who knows anyhting about fighting would disagree.

Your living in a complete fantasy world dude

22 minutes ago, bambi said:

Even ralston specifically might have had an inovative impact on karate. But this doesnt mean he beats an MMA fighter, this is stupidity

Before winning the world title, Peter Ralston gathered an audience of masters from various martial arts styles and confidently declared that he would win the title. How? Let me explain. He then began the class, and within the first few minutes, the karate black belts left the room.

You really are talking without knowing man. If you really care inform yourself and then talk from that knowing

19 minutes ago, Scholar said:

Oh because he says so...

That was a virtuoso performance and no protections, that's heavy sparring 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Davino said:

Before winning the world title, Peter Ralston gathered an audience of masters from various martial arts styles and confidently declared that he would win the title. How? Let me explain. He then began the class, and within the first few minutes, the karate black belts left the room.

You really are talking without knowing man. If you really care inform yourself and then talk from that knowing

Sorry what are you talking about?

The Gracies beat everyone in that era with ease, and then MMA was formed based on the Gracies BJJ. Vale tudo originated from this.

You literally have no idea what your talking about

Edited by bambi