Buck Edwards

Peter Ralston interview by Leo Gura.

378 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, Scholar said:

But the stuff he shows still looks like Bullshido

It's the opposite of bullshido. Literally his whole intention was to make a non bullshit martial art. Here is the introduction you find about his martial art system.

DEEPEN CONSCIOUSNESS & MASTER PHYSICAL SKILL

Cheng Hsin is designed to move people toward a more “real,” direct, and present experience of self and life. Using open investigation, contemplation, personal experimentation, and powerful questioning we pursue transformation, effectiveness, and a direct experience of the nature of Being.

“Cut through the fantasies that accompany all teachings and go after and eradicate every belief that you can possibly identify. Set out to directly and authentically experience for yourself what is true in the world”

— Peter Ralston

Have you read at least his simpler works: Zen body being?

Only an extremely physically gifted individual could have wrote it, life transforming for any sportsman.

I also tried to read the book that sets the foundation on his Martial Art: Cheng hsin tui shou. But such book without training with him is useless so I gave up.

8 hours ago, Scholar said:

no clue if that was a proper world tournament, or what even was the relevancy of it.

Well you can make your research and find it out. If you care about Truth anyway

Edited by Davino

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

The interview with GOD is NOW ;)

Listened to the interview, omg now we know where Leo stole the "Ta-daaa!" from!

28 minutes ago, Scholar said:

And I wonder who Peter stole it from O.o

Posted (edited)

@Davino What is advanced?

You'll likely references another's creation that you follow, which the creator himself may be believing in. All models are wrong when it comes to this work.

It's not about intentionally deceiving others, but about being unaware of your conflating things such as opinion, preference, ideal, etc., with insight. 

"Authentically lying" isn't a thing. If it is authentic, it has to be honest.

Why would being a teacher imply being arrogant? Doesn't have to be that way.

I brought up Ramana as probably the best contemporary example of profound awakening, a trustworthy teacher. Not promoting blind faith.

Edited by UnbornTao

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Scholar said:

I didn't steal that from him. I've been saying that for a long time. It's a cliche.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Leo also stole the scarf aesthetic from Peter!

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, UnbornTao said:

What is advanced?

Consciousness becoming Infinite

Strange Loops

Divinity, Sacredness, Holy

God

Infinity

Infinity in Infinity

It's not about intentionally deceiving others, but about being unaware of your conflating things such as opinion, preference, ideal, etc., with insight.

Yes! Totally agree

"Authentically lying" isn't a thing. If it is authentic, it has to be honest. 

I disagree you can lie within your worldview and you can be authentic to your worldview and still be lying.

Why would being a teacher imply being arrogant? I don't think it has to be that way, necessarily. 

Because it assumes that I know more than you. That's still arrogance in the spectrum. The most humble teachers or the true no self teachers say that they aren't teachers themselves and they have no desire to teach anything nor to convert anyone to any point of view, Papaji or U.G. Krishnamurthy style. So if we are gonna be peaky with the arrogance argument, the dynamic teacher student is arrogant, it's not based in oneness. That's the insight I was pointing you towards but I decided to break it down as you didn't contemplate it.

I brought up Ramana as probably the best contemporary example of profound awakening, a teacher that can be trusted to be genuine. To be clear, I'm not promoting blind faith on what anyone says, including yourself.

Yes, I agree Ramana was quite legit, but still had blindspots, like in body self love. He abided in transhuman consciousness more time, understandable choice. The same did Sri Anandamayi Ma that said she wouldn't eat anymore that whatever happened to her so let it be but she wouldn't will to survive anymore, and then people took care of her and fed her everyday like a baby to keep her alive. No one is perfect, only God is, the form is irrelevant in the end.

Whatever, the Avatar is just a pointer, all of the teachers will be LONG forgotten once profound consciousness happens. Everytime I trip I throw everything into the trash, I say all those are figments of my own mind. This gives me peace, now the real work happens. Otherwise they infect the purity and sovereignity of my Mind and there's something astonishingly beautiful of leaving the whole gravitational pull of human spirituality and mysticism. Consciousness, Mind, Reality, Awake, Freedom what do you wanna do then? It's hard to even say

Edited by Davino

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

That's actually a real cool lesson. What a creative way to show off that concept.

"He's powerful and he's fast, but precision beats power, timing beats speed" said Conor McGregor after his stunning KO victory against Jose Aldo to become the undisputed featherweight champion of the world and arguably the biggest star in MMA.

Edited by Davino

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotARobot said:

@Davino It doesn't surprise me at all that he would know. He was a real good fighter, and to go as far as he did without understanding such a crucial idea, would come close to being a miracle.

It's the profoundity of understanding

Posted (edited)

Timing in Martial Arts/Fighting is secondary to Perception, especially from non contacted ranges, like punching or kicking range, if Your ability to not see what Your opponent is planning or setting up to do next, then timing won't work, in the video, Ralston has the advantage of perception, and then can time taking away the chair, the guy sitting has none of this, no perception as he can't see when its going to happen and therefore can't use any sort of timing..

When in contacted ranges, like close quarter striking or standing grappling etc, then timing is second too limb sensitivity and nervous system training and reflex, if those two are not established first then timing will not work again...

As a long time Martial Artist, looking at Ralston, yes he has skills but not super high level imo...

example of in close striking and contact reflexes, eye sight in this range and at speed would not work..

Adam Chan HIgh high Level Martial artist, mostly Chinese based Martial Art, but he learns fast and knows other stuff..

I would say he is moving at maybe half pace for him, he can move much faster and is very powerful for a small guy he's under 5'7' I believe..

He know the structure and mechanics of the body, how to gain tremendous power at 1"away and even closer, if he touches you your dead!!

and can see what your doing at a distance to stop hit you before you complete your move...

Edited by Ishanga

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

@Inliytened1 Just realized that Leo actually did many years of meditation and retreats. I just remebered that

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I didn't steal that from him. I've been saying that for a long time. It's a cliche.

Cope.

You should do another interview though, looking back at it you were basically a complete newbie back then and the questions were surface level. Would be interesting if you could get more into the weeds, and maybe even have a discussion and challenging his views more.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Scholar said:

You should do another interview though, looking back at it you were basically a complete newbie back then and the questions were surface level. Would be interesting if you could get more into the weeds, and maybe even have a discussion and challenging his views more.

A meet up would be fun. Remember Leo attended Peter Ralston's workshops and eventually interviewed him 1-on-1. Ralston rarely gives interviews, so even noob Leo was that good ahahahha

A meet up would be like a crossover: batman meets superman:D

Edited by Davino

Posted (edited)

On 08/06/2024 at 10:37 PM, Davino said:

Consciousness becoming Infinite

Strange Loops

Divinity, Sacredness, Holy

God

Infinity

Infinity in Infinity

Yes! Totally agree

I disagree you can lie within your worldview and you can be authentic to your worldview and still be lying.

Because it assumes that I know more than you. That's still arrogance in the spectrum. The most humble teachers or the true no self teachers say that they aren't teachers themselves and they have no desire to teach anything nor to convert anyone to any point of view, Papaji or U.G. Krishnamurthy style. So if we are gonna be peaky with the arrogance argument, the dynamic teacher student is arrogant, it's not based in oneness. That's the insight I was pointing you towards but I decided to break it down as you didn't contemplate it.

Yes, I agree Ramana was quite legit, but still had blindspots, like in body self love. He abided in transhuman consciousness more time, understandable choice. The same did Sri Anandamayi Ma that said she wouldn't eat anymore that whatever happened to her so let it be but she wouldn't will to survive anymore, and then people took care of her and fed her everyday like a baby to keep her alive. No one is perfect, only God is, the form is irrelevant in the end.

Whatever, the Avatar is just a pointer, all of the teachers will be LONG forgotten once profound consciousness happens. Everytime I trip I throw everything into the trash, I say all those are figments of my own mind. This gives me peace, now the real work happens. Otherwise they infect the purity and sovereignity of my Mind and there's something astonishingly beautiful of leaving the whole gravitational pull of human spirituality and mysticism. Consciousness, Mind, Reality, Awake, Freedom what do you wanna do then? It's hard to even say

I'd start by making a distinction between thought and experience. 

This is the problem with "cosmologies".

If you take Ramana's case so lightly, comparing this and that so trivially and superficially, as if you knew what Ramana was talking about, you're likely coming from a wrong place. 

But thanks for the interchange, no need to stretch it further.

Edited by UnbornTao

Why are people talking about Ralstons martial arts, he would get mauled ruthlessly by MMA fighters, the jury has  been out for a long time on this.

41 minutes ago, bambi said:

Why are people talking about Ralstons martial arts, he would get mauled ruthlessly by MMA fighters, the jury has  been out for a long time on this.

When I saw the video of him challenging Sugar Ray and thinking arrogantly how he would do against him, I knew right then and there what sort of person he is and where he is on the path, not sure why ppl here give him creds really...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

You guys really don't understand Ralston, so silence would be wise of you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

@UnbornTao I'd start with making a distinction between thought and experience. 

What distinction is there?

I don't see any

If you take Ramana's case so lightly, comparing this and that so trivially and superficially, as if you knew what Ramana was talking about, you're likely coming from a wrong place.

Do you know what Ramana was really talking about?

I bet you I get it more

But thanks for the interchange, no need to stretch it further.

It was a pleasure

Edited by Davino

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You guys really don't understand Ralston, so silence would be wise of you.

Can you be specific, this is way to vague and slippery

Do you genuinely think he can beat an MMA fighter, or that hsi martial arts system is more effective?

At least can you highlight some specific things of Ralston you think we dont understnad, it would be less evasive and slipper, and more productive and helpful