Juan

Should Kids and Teens be allowed to have phones?

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Recently I shared with my family for a few weeks and I saw my little brother (less than 15 years old) and my nephew (less than 10) way too attached to their phones. I didn’t (and I assume many others here) didn’t had a phone until highschool, I believe that was the best time to have one.

And watching this news, I believe the best age to give our children phones would be at least on highschool (15 years old or so). Of course even adults are addicted to phones, but looking at nowadays kids when they take their phone away, they become aggressive af to the point of violence, they are addicted to it.  

Does anyone share the same thought or experience?

Edited by Juan

It doesn't solve the problem. During my army service sergeants were forbidden to use phones. Most of them couldn't keep up their duties let alone army privacy. These people supposed to be adults. 

I got my first phone when I was 12 but things were infrared back then. Nowdays everything covered with an invisible web. I had a gradual shift. New gens are born into the web that they unaware of. My younger brother also suffers from the same problem, for his situation comfort zone outweighs new external experience.

Most of the kids don't have the tool kit and knowledge to make use of the technology, so it just became a nipple.

@Juan

20 hours ago, Juan said:

Recently I shared with my family for a few weeks and I saw my little brother (less than 15 years old) and my nephew (less than 10) way too attached to their phones. I didn’t (and I assume many others here) didn’t had a phone until highschool, I believe that was the best time to have one.

And watching this news, I believe the best age to give our children phones would be at least on highschool (15 years old or so). Of course even adults are addicted to phones, but looking at nowadays kids when they take their phone away, they become aggressive af to the point of violence, they are addicted to it.  

Does anyone share the same thought or experience?

I would push to their 20's at least, unless some demonstrate great will power and discipline to not use their phones in the wrong place and times. If they time manage and schedule their phone use and are responsible, it's fine. I can't say the same for millions of kids though, and their parents. If any kid or even high schoolers have extreme difficulty to abstain from using their phones during class, a class that takes 1 hour of listening to a teacher's lecture and taking notes, maybe group activities and questioning their subject, then this rule has to happen.

Thank you Tik Tok, silicon valley big tech for screwing up the brains of the younger generation. I hope you lot rot in hell.