spectra

Any school teachers here?

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I teach middle school and I'm currently in my second year of teaching. I would love to connect with other teachers who are into practical philosophy/self-actualization. I quit after my first year, took a break because I had to deal with some personal issues, gained a lot of insight after months of serious introspection, and now I feel way more equipped for my job. Working with kids is humbling. During my first year, I felt like a kid myself. Teaching / Becoming a teacher with integrity is forcing me to grow up.

Edited by spectra

@Human Mint My first year was extremely stressful, to the point where I lost track of my values, reasons for why I wanted to teach, I would overthink everything. Now I am able to think more clearly, and I don't sweat the little stuff. Leo's video "What is maturity?" helped me a lot. I rewatch that video every now and then.

@spectra I tought philosophy 5 hours a week for a year in middle school. Yeah it's fucking though and you need to grow up to manage the situations and holes in your personality become very apparent. I lack a lot of assertiveness and confidence but developed these things to some degree because I was forced to. I lock forward to teaching more just for the raw development you get from it. 

I teach kindergarten.

:P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I teach kindergarten.

:P

Lol

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

@Jannes I agree. It forces you to become assertive and confident if you want to survive in this profession. A lot about teaching is also counter-intuitive. For example, I became better at exuding authority by using silence as my strategy. In my first year, I thought I could assert myself by shouting. I got laryngitis after three weeks lol. Now, in my second year, I tried my best to not mirror the energy of my students, and act like an energy shield. When they got loud, I would stop talking and simply looked my loud students dead in the eye until my silence became uncomfortable, and they stopped talking. It works. The counter-intuitive approach Leo talked about in his video really works. Emotional non-reactivity is key.

Edited by spectra

@spectra didnt work for me haha I needed to get louder. I think you need a base of respect for that to work. You are in your second year also so they know you better it gets easier then. 

@spectra I’ve recently been accepted on to teacher training. Something I want to do but will have to defer until next academic year because of the company I am committed to

I know a couple of teachers/former teachers. My mate used to be a college teacher but didn’t get on with it. Another friend of mine is jaded by it lol

But I really like teaching though. The only thing I don’t like is the bullshit curriculum where you are boxed in and made to teach what they tell you to teach. They have deprived teachers of their freedom and creativity which kinda fucks with the job satisfaction. Kids can be a nightmare as well but can be good fun if you can handle it in the right way

Are children as stupid as r/teachers makes them out to be?

2 minutes ago, Paradoxed said:

Are children as stupid as r/teachers makes them out to be?

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Yimpa said:

It's like the people on that subreddit hate children.

This kid rocks!

Edited by Paradoxed

Are adults as stupid as YT makes them out to be?

@Paradoxed Adults are stupid too. I'm stupid too. We're all stupid in some way. The sooner we realize this, the better.

On 8/2/2024 at 6:41 AM, spectra said:

@Paradoxed Adults are stupid too. I'm stupid too. We're all stupid in some way. The sooner we realize this, the better.

You're a genius. Never forget it

I teach college kids. I'd say there is overlap with teaching college and middle school kids, yet also differences.

On 7/26/2024 at 6:12 AM, Leo Gura said:

Probably even dumber

The videos are generally short edited segments pieced together for effect

But they could not possibly capture the full stupidity in a comprehensive and multifaceted manner

That requires real life interaction and extensive observation

Posted (edited)

@PenguinPablo I've seen a lot more human stupidity on YT than I have in the physical world.

But hey, I don't get out much these days :D

Edited by Leo Gura

On 26.7.2024 at 1:12 PM, Leo Gura said:

That's what I think after scrolling Reddit for too long... jeez

The Secret of this Universe is You.

Is teaching as bad as they say? In terms of pay, work-life balance, etc?

I have a teacher's bone in me but I've largely wrote it off as a career because I heard so much bad about it.