Brahman

Terrence Howard on Reality

367 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

@zurew I dont know what to tell you Im just asking a question, I cant study math equations im retarded.

You could have just said the truth but you chose to cringe so dont blame me for your own personality.

If I wanted to study the axioms math I would have to understand the whole philosophy of math and I dont like math so im not going too. Id rather remain ignorant and cringy

Edited by Hojo

“How can we engage in discourse and truth-seeking while minimizing the distortions of ego and the tendency towards dogmatic certainty?” -Claude AI

6 minutes ago, Hojo said:

I dont know what to tell you Im just asking a question, I cant study math equations im retarded.

You could have just said the truth but you chose to cringe so dont blame me for your own personality.

If I wanted to study the axioms math I would have to understand the whole philosophy of math and I dont like math so im not going too. Id rather remain ignorant and cring

If you admit you don't have any understanding , then why make claims? And no,  you didn't ask any questions - you were make claims. There is 0 question mark in your prevous response to Leo.

35 minutes ago, Hojo said:

Leo Gura In that case wouldnt 1+1 = 1 and 1-1 = 1

it seems math has inconcistencies where in subtraction and addition we take it that we are doing an equation and in mutiplication and division we are just stating that we have something

1+1= 2

1-1=0

in both these we are actually doing math

1x1 =1

1/1= 1

In these instances we are not doing math and cant we are just stating that we have 1 thing.

Posted (edited)

@zurew I didnt know and still dont know which made up rule means that its not true please tell me. I have understanding clearly im doing equations even if they are basic.

How many people in reality know the axioms of mathematics? If you dont know the axioms of mathematics can you understand math? Yes you can. Instead of pointing out how im wrong just write the one sentence that you know that says it doesnt work.

Edited by Hojo

4 minutes ago, Hojo said:

I didnt know and still dont know which made up rule means that its not true please tell me.

I don't know whats that above statement in response to.

@zurew  tell me the axiom that says that its not right

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Hojo said:

tell me the axiom that says that its not right

by "its" are you referring to specifically this ? 

"So if 1x1=2

3x1=6

4x1=8"

Edited by zurew

@zurewThe axiom that specifically states why 1x1 must = 1

Cause in that case  the Multiplicative Identity Axiom

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, Hojo said:

How many people in reality know the axioms of mathematics? If you dont know the axioms of mathematics can you understand math? Yes you can.

I don't know what you mean by "understanding" there.

How many people in the world can make valid criticism of math? Not much. Just because you can do addition and subtraction and multiplication, that doesn't mean that you have a deep enough understanding to make criticisms about the foundations of math.

Its frankly delusional to think that one can just google an unorthodox definition and that will be good enough to undermine the whole field of mathematics (as if no mathematicians would have thought about checking out the axioms and the definitions). - the very fact that your first thought after finding a definition is that "hmm ,maybe all mathematicians are wrong" and not "I must be misunderstanding something about math or something about an axiom or definition" shows a kind of arrogant attitude.

Edited by zurew

Posted (edited)

@zurewMaybe its wrong is the my first question to everything. Why is it happening is rarely explained. Im trying to be delusional. I didnt say what I was sating was a fact of life or mathematics. I just said that it seems to be inconsistent

that 1+1 = 1

1 - 1 = 0

1 x 1 = 1

1 /1 = 1

you showed me the made up rule to make it not consistent in mathematics.

and you are taking the entire thing to insult me and that im being arrogant. I am but not needed to such a degree you are just attacking me.

Edited by Hojo

Posted (edited)

@Hojo Just ask yourself what multiplication actually is, what is means to multiply two numbers.

Sit down and do it. Don't guess or theorize.

Your confusion comes from a basic lack of understanding of what multiplication is.

If you have 12 chicken eggs and you double it, how many eggs do you have?

And if you have 12 chicken eggs and you "single" it, how many chicken eggs do you have?

Just examine what is meant by multiplication. Multiplication is really a way of adding up groups of things. 1 group of 1 egg equals 1 egg, not 2 eggs.

In this case you don't even need any axioms. Just basic common sense.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura That was an interesting experiment. I pulled out cash and started playing around with multiplication

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

Posted (edited)

If I give you one six-pack of Coke with 5 cans missing. How many cans of Coke will you have to drink?

Terrence says 2.

That's the stupidity of his claim.

Edited by Leo Gura

2 hours ago, Hojo said:

you showed me the made up rule to make it not consistent in mathematics.

I genuinely don't know what kind of answer you are looking for. When you say math is inconsistent - I don't know how to interpret that other than checking out the axioms and then checking for a contradiction that can be derived from those axioms. 

If you want to say "I don't know the reasons why we selected/agreed upon these specific math axioms" - I won't be able to provide an answer to that. But given what the current math axioms are,there is no contradiction that could be derived from those axioms.

As a sidenote for math nerds - I know that there has to be at least one math major actualizer on this forum (if you are a guest - go ahead and register),  -come here and lay out your thoughts and feel free to correct me or others if you see any incorrect or cringy things.

You don't need a math PhD to tell you how to multiply two numbers.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

You don't need a math PhD to tell you how to multiply two numbers.

Yes if we agree upon math axioms then it is obvious, and it is clear that there is no internal contradiction there.

But when those axioms are questioned you can't just appeal to those axioms and I don't think most people here would be able to give a satisfactory justification/explanation for the choosing process. Thats why im trying to invite math majors into this discussion, who probably have spent  more time investigating this specific question than any of us here.

Like could you lay out specifically the defense or the justification for the choosing/picking process for the math axioms? Like why pick or why agree upon specifically those axioms?

Edited by zurew

You do not need an enlightened master to tell you that you are Consciousness.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, zurew said:

Like could you lay out specifically the defense or the justification for the choosing/picking process for the math axioms? Like why pick or why agree upon specifically those axioms?

I have a controversial take on the matter.

Human mathematics is actually not grounded in axioms. It is grounded in the empirical workings of material reality. The axioms are a post-hoc rationalization.

Humans invented multiplication long before they understood what axioms or formal systems were.

The reason basic mathematics is the way it is, is because that's how it works when you count your chicken eggs.

If you added up two chicken eggs and they amounted to eleven eggs, then our math would be 1+1=11. But this dream doesn't work that way.

5 hours ago, Yimpa said:

You do not need an enlightened master to tell you that you are Consciousness.

Actually, you do.

Edited by Leo Gura