Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dabidoe

Identifying "societal programming" vs. authentic self?

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The idea that language itself is a form of programming is a bit of a mind fuck. Reread "Snowcrash" by Neal Stephenson recently and the idea that Sumerian words as mind virus were able to influence our states of consciousness, emotions, physical health (transmit mind viurs like herpes?) makes me wonder how many words ideas function like that on us without us realizing that. I've been struggling with some thoughts like: What degree of my feelings of being self-conscious or self critical has been influenced by external environment/society vs. who I really am? 

Without thinking too deeply about it there are various words that spread like mind viruses/memes (in the original sense of the word, not viral pics.) 
IE: "toxins", "complicit", "genocide", "MAGA", "woke", "liberal" that seem to kind of stir up some sort of internal programming to "trigger" people. 

If we recognize societal programming what's the best response? Disregard it try to "unwire" that pathway?

Edited by Dabidoe

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Dabidoe said:

The idea that language itself is a form of programming is a bit of a mind fuck. Reread "Snowcrash" by Neal Stephenson recently and the idea that Sumerian words as mind virus were able to influence our states of consciousness, emotions, physical health (transmit mind viurs like herpes?) makes me wonder how many words ideas function like that on us without us realizing that. I've been struggling with some thoughts like: What degree of my feelings of being self-conscious or self critical has been influenced by external environment/society vs. who I really am? 

Without thinking too deeply about it there are various words that spread like mind viruses/memes (in the original sense of the word, not viral pics.) 
IE: "toxins", "complicit", "genocide", "MAGA", "woke", "liberal" that seem to kind of stir up some sort of internal programming to "trigger" people. 

If we recognize societal programming what's the best response? Disregard it try to "unwire" that pathway?

Do you know word of "Colloquialism"? 

Edited by James123

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

1 minute ago, Dabidoe said:

How do you reconcicle all the various opinions, thoughts and ideas within us vs. all the various ways society and culture have "programmed" us to think?

I've been struggling with some thoughts like: What degree of my feelings of being self-conscious or self critical are based on pre-conceived cultural notions that have been fed to me vs. who I really am? How can I unlearn these negative thought patterns and defuse my inner critics harsh narrative?

The idea that language itself is a form of programming is a bit of a mind fuck. Reread "Snowcrash" by Neal Stephenson recently and the idea that Sumerian mmemetics influence our states of consciousness, emotions, physical health (transmit mind viurs like herpes?) makes me wonder how many words are programming us.

This is a form of Karma, Karma can be described as a sort of Conditioning, but its more complex than that for sure, but to put it simply the way to go beyond Karma is too focus on NOW where life exists, not past or future which is really memory and imagination, both of which come from the Mind,,,, Identify with more of a Cosmic Identity, not with culture or society of any kind, adapt to the culture/society you live in, play by their rules, but don't think this is who You are, same with Teachings, Ideologies and Philosophies of any kind, just use them for whatever purposes that you need them for then drop them when not needed. 

Eventually this creates a space btwn what is You and what is not You, what is not You is anything Mind or Psychological, or Bodily wise, you are not the Body or Mind, find out what You really are then a space is there, it like turning down the volume on something you don't want to hear anymore rather than trying to stop the noise altogether...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

This is what spiritual work is about, separating yourself from the learned social matrix, and opening yourself to reality without a filter.

As humans we are programmed to be part of the hive and the glue that binds us together is language, which transmits ideas that have genetic force. Every living being has the life/death duality programmed. Based on this primordial ramification, we humans erect a web of ideas transmitted by the word of enormous complexity, and we inevitably get lost in it and acquire a logical, filtered way of processing, lacking in vitality.

the work is to understand, penetrate, break and open

On 5/22/2024 at 10:39 AM, Ishanga said:

This is a form of Karma, Karma can be described as a sort of Conditioning, but its more complex than that for sure, but to put it simply the way to go beyond Karma is too focus on NOW where life exists, not past or future which is really memory and imagination, both of which come from the Mind,,,, Identify with more of a Cosmic Identity, not with culture or society of any kind, adapt to the culture/society you live in, play by their rules, but don't think this is who You are, same with Teachings, Ideologies and Philosophies of any kind, just use them for whatever purposes that you need them for then drop them when not needed. 

Eventually this creates a space btwn what is You and what is not You, what is not You is anything Mind or Psychological, or Bodily wise, you are not the Body or Mind, find out what You really are then a space is there, it like turning down the volume on something you don't want to hear anymore rather than trying to stop the noise altogether...

I like the turning down the volume as opposed to stopping the noise because I do think trying to "root out" voices in your head can be counter-productive.

So if I were to say attempt to turn the volume down (and actively pay attention to myself when I'm engaging in) categories: A

Different "chronologies" of thinking
A) future/past 
B) present/now*

Identity
As well as different identities within ourselves that we can try to build a separation between.
A) low self - me, subjective experience
b) high self - universe, objective experience?

Ideology
a) culture & society today
b) ______ cosmic?

---
What do you find helps you turn the volume down, or "catch yourself" when you're lingering in column A thinking?

Posted (edited)

On 5/22/2024 at 3:44 PM, Breakingthewall said:

This is what spiritual work is about, separating yourself from the learned social matrix, and opening yourself to reality without a filter.

As humans we are programmed to be part of the hive and the glue that binds us together is language, which transmits ideas that have genetic force. Every living being has the life/death duality programmed. Based on this primordial ramification, we humans erect a web of ideas transmitted by the word of enormous complexity, and we inevitably get lost in it and acquire a logical, filtered way of processing, lacking in vitality.

the work is to understand, penetrate, break and open

Hmm. So before we can really get too deep in it do you think we have to first go through the contents of our own mind with the highlight marker? Should we try to see what we actually believe or have been programmed to believe before we get too deep in the weeds of trying to  unlearn/"believe" something better?

Edited by Dabidoe

@James123 I'm familiar with the term. Like a monkeys uncle.

3 minutes ago, Dabidoe said:

@James123 I'm familiar with the term. Like a monkeys uncle.

Monkey's ancestors. So you know the Colloquialism anymore. When I say Colloquialism something comes to your mind as you created "you" and "universe". That's how the programing of language works. If you never learn, nothing never happens. Learning is the biggest illusion. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

6 minutes ago, Dabidoe said:

Hmm. So before we can really get too deep in it do you think we have to first go through the contents of our own mind with the highlight marker? Should we try to see what we actually believe or have been programmed to believe before we get too deep in the weeds of trying to  unlearn/"believe" something better?

Yes, we have to understand deeply our conditioning in order to free ourselves from it and jump to another dimension of being