inFlow

Looking for book recommendations on how to be a yogi.

21 posts in this topic

I was considering of hopping into the life of a True Yogi. Well as much as I can living in the city. Has anyone read any good books on how to be a yogi? How to live a lifestyle etc. Would be great if you could share some good books.

Thank you ♥♥♥

Mahadev

5 minutes ago, inFlow said:

I was considering of hopping into the life of a True Yogi. Well as much as I can living in the city. Has anyone read any good books on how to be a yogi? How to live a lifestyle etc. Would be great if you could share some good books.

Thank you ♥♥♥

Both of these by Sadhguru, Yogi's Guide to Joy and his autobiography "More than a Life"

I think like each of Us in normal Human Life, it will be a unique journey but these are good guides in some ways, Sadhguru has a saying, he wants "Undercover" Yogi's all over the place, out in the world making change by just being who they are within themselves, that is a sign of a true Yogi..,

He also has a Bramachariya sect at the India Ashram that he has, one has to apply for it and be accepted into it, its a serious path to the Divine..

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Just be simple. Spread the Love, free from any addiction not as me. And know that you are literally nothing. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

7 minutes ago, Ishanga said:

he wants "Undercover" Yogi's all over the place, out in the world making change by just being who they are within themselves, that is a sign of a true Yogi..,

This resonates so much. Thank you! 🙏❤️

8 minutes ago, James123 said:

Just be simple. Spread the Love, free from any addiction not as me. And know that you are literally nothing. 

I'am Love. Thank you for these tips. 🙏❤️

Mahadev

Posted (edited)

Can you become one or are you just one. Seems like a yogi would be someone who is already awake and in tune with themselves from before this life.

Edited by Hojo

11 minutes ago, Hojo said:

Can you become one or are you just one. Seems like a yogi would be someone who is already awake and in tune with themselves from before this life.

I would say a Yogi is one on the path to experience Reality in a more dedicated and serious way...

Everyone is practicing Yoga whether they think they are or not. Yoga is about Union, finding out for real that we are not completely individual entities in this vast Universe, but ppl go about it in many different ways.. Desire is about wanting to be more than what You are right now, everyone has this within them, that is why they drink, smoke, have sex, use drugs, do Yoga, go to church and pray to God, climb and jump off Mountains, the point is One is trying to be Free of whatever restrictions and constraints they are feeling at the moment.

There are two forces always in play in ones life, the Force of Self Preservation/Survival, with this we build up walls of self protection in many many ways, the Ego Complex and all our mental Disorders come from this, then there is the force to be absolutely Free, Unbounded, Totally One with Everything, Desire is about that part of our nature, but most try to fulfill it via the Physical aspect, accumulating more ppl, places and things as life goes by, but they still feel empty inside (see Dan Bilzerian thread Personal Development Forum), so was we grow older we naturally lose our physical abilities, I think this is natures way to guide us to the more Spiritual and Non physical aspects of what we really are, we are not anything that we have accumulated or gathered, both Body and Mind, Memories and such are Accumulated things, what we are is before all of this, don't label it, but a Yogi is one that wants to find out the answer to this and experience it within themselves as a Reality, Yoga is the method by which we can do that, a science of sort, methodology as well!

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

5 hours ago, Ishanga said:

There are two forces always in play in ones life, the Force of Self Preservation/Survival, with this we build up walls of self protection in many many ways, the Ego Complex and all our mental Disorders come from this, then there is the force to be absolutely Free, Unbounded, Totally One with Everything, Desire is about that part of our nature, but most try to fulfill it via the Physical aspect, accumulating more ppl, places and things as life goes by, but they still feel empty inside (see Dan Bilzerian thread Personal Development Forum), so was we grow older we naturally lose our physical abilities, I think this is natures way to guide us to the more Spiritual and Non physical aspects of what we really are, we are not anything that we have accumulated or gathered, both Body and Mind, Memories and such are Accumulated things, what we are is before all of this, don't label it, but a Yogi is one that wants to find out the answer to this and experience it within themselves as a Reality, Yoga is the method by which we can do that, a science of sort, methodology as well!

Good reflection.

Id say that a yogi is one who manages to break his chains and release his true nature in this human experience. someone who knows his human structure and overcomes it, without any subterfuge, and equalize it with the flow of the reality, being one with it

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, James123 said:

What addiction do you have? Thinking that reality is nothing? 😅 Maybe I'm nothing, but I perceive like everything. A well without bottom where everything is. It's quite scary btw. Open your eyes and realize that the infinity is this, now, and nothing can be known. Like you are alone floating in the eternity. But it's not like that, you are not floating in the eternity, you are the eternity, and there are no limits. And really you can know something, the most important thing: what you are. That is enlightenment. To see your true face. That's extremely difficult, because a lot of mental traps veil it. The human condition itself is the veil, a game very difficult to solve. See it a moment is the work, at least for me. A moment as often as you can, in a total way. Then the mind start to be thinner, but the true perception maintained is very difficult 

Edited by Breakingthewall

Bump 🙏

Mahadev

Posted (edited)

Do Kriya yoga every day and you can call yourself a yogi.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Do Kriya yoga every day and you can call yourself a yogi.

I think Yogis reach points where they do not need spiritual practices, but some prefer to do it after attaining something significant, so it's not self-honest. Person who is in yoga is very different than somebody who benefits from spiritual practices like a bogi, the blissful man. You don't have to do a lot of practice to feel blissful, but to make bananas out of apple tree, you need quite something else.

Posted (edited)

@Applegarden8 If you want to become a yogi you better do yoga. Otherwise wtf are you doing?

Being a yogi is not about growing a long beard and reading Hindu books in a cave. It's about the discipline of yogic practice. As long as you do that discipline you can live by whatever style.

Edited by Leo Gura

@Leo Gura You said in your traps video that meditation can only be effective if you do it for a long periods of time in a retreat kind of a setting.

Would you also say that regarding Kriya? Or you consider it more powerful than regular meditation?

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, bazera said:

@Leo Gura You said in your traps video that meditation can only be effective if you do it for a long periods of time in a retreat kind of a setting.

Would you also say that regarding Kriya? Or you consider it more powerful than regular meditation?

1) That was a general statement. It could have exceptions for some people.

2) Kriya yoga is different. I think it is more potent and accumulates better over months, so you can do 1-2hrs per day and it builds up. Meditation does not build up so well. For meditation to build up requires like several days of nonstop practice.

Again, these things will vary if you are spiritually gifted.

Edited by Leo Gura

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Water by the River said:

Don't be Darth Vader ^_^

Sinister Yogis, David Gordon White 

Surprisingly enough (or not), I came across this book in a general Amazon search just before you posted this comment, and it caught my eye. Would you recommend it even if it´s just for the sake of enjoying a bizarre and interesting subject? I like the topics the author addresses, but there is something about him that gives me strange vibes.

Edited by Purple Man

This is my forest, my joy, my love and my shelter, the music I compose: loismusic.com

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, Purple Man said:

Surprisingly enough (or not), I came across this book in a general Amazon search just before you posted this comment, and it caught my eye. Would you recommend it even if it´s just for the sake of enjoying a bizarre and interesting subject? I like the topics the author addresses, but there is something about him that gives me strange vibes.

The book shows how complex past developments have been, and that we often get just a "white-washed" version, like a lense that was created in the Yoga-movements of the last 100-200 years. Same with Buddhism. Just look up Tantra and Tantric Buddhism, for example at David Gordon White. Whoopsi. Yoga is a complex thing too, as is Tantra.

David Gordon White has interesting books.... For example "Daemons Are Forever: Contacts and Exchanges in the Eurasian Pandemonium".  Fascinating.

It also highlights that people are often playing with psychedelics and are not aware which doors in the Multiverse they open. And what can be behind them... A little preparation, knowledge of history, and respect is quite benefical in the opinion of yours truly. Hic sunt dracones. And dracones sometimes are more hungry than playful.

Strange vibe from Sinister Yogis? Yes. Better go directly to the mountain summit (Enlightenment) than taking detours in shady valleys. But knowing that the shady valleys exist, and a little bit of care is indicated, that is quite helpful for the prepared mountaineer. Luckily, Hollywood already has a few-minute trailer:

"...Teach me! No. ^_^"

Guess what the authors of these themes (and Dr. Strange) did back in the day.... 

https://www.psychedelics.com/articles/doctor-strange-steve-englehart-and-lsd/

^_^

Fascinating place, our little earth hovering in a vast Universe & Multiverse beyond it

Not Selling Darth Vader/Sinister Yogi practices by the River

Edited by Water by the River

Posted (edited)

On 5/25/2024 at 0:04 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Applegarden8 If you want to become a yogi you better do yoga. Otherwise wtf are you doing?

Being a yogi is not about growing a long beard and reading Hindu books in a cave. It's about the discipline of yogic practice. As long as you do that discipline you can live by whatever style.

My point is that you merely cannot do some practice for moderate amount of time and call yourself a yogi. You need a lot of practice to make big things happen in your experience. You and me need to do these practices until yoga means nothing to you and that discipline will take all your time if you want to be a yogi and attain while retaining the body. For moksha (breaking the life and death cycle at the moment of death) or blissful life you don't need to be a yogi. But to be a yogi, you cannot live whatever lifestyle. After a certain mastery your practice will be so refined, you might not need to do it a lot to enjoy life or you will do it all the time while doing other things or you will be so established you might not need any practice for the rest of your life, that is what I mean after certain point.

Edited by Applegarden8