jonatech256

Why is weed not considered as psychedelics

22 posts in this topic

In my previous forum post, I mentioned my search for psychedelics, which proved challenging to find from a reliable source in my country. To satisfy this curiosity, I resorted to using weed, especially edibles. I consume them weekly, and my experiences often evoke similarities to the effects of psychedelics as described by others. While under the influence of weed, I frequently find myself reminiscing about my childhood experiences, which has aided me in accepting and understanding my past.

I am now curious about why weed, with its psychedelic-like effects, is not classified as a psychedelic substance and why @Leo Gura does not endorse its use.

Posted (edited)

1) Because the people who classify these things are just being mechanical about it.

2) It also depends on your genetics. For some people weed is a psychedelic and for others it is not.

3) What I don't endorse about weed is the stoner sub-culture and the chronic use of weed. There is no problem with using weed occassionally for a trip. But that's not what these stoners do.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

1) Because the people who classify these things are just being mechanical about it.

2) It also depends on your genetics. For some people weed is a psychedelic and for others it is not.

3) What I don't endorse about weed is the stoner sub-culture and the chronic use of weed. There is no problem with using weed occassionally for a trip. But that's not what these stoners do.

Having been in the "stoner sub-culture" (a lot of variance but your average "live to smoke" crowd is sad) and chronic user it's 100% a psychological trap (nice video btw) where the escape to your problems is largely the source of your problems to begin with. 

@Leo Gura

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Thank you for your feedback and guidance on the topic. I appreciate your insights and perspective on the use of weed and the distinction between occasional use for a unique experience and the stoner subculture. Your input has been valuable in helping me understand the different viewpoints surrounding this matter.

It might be something that is related to its chemistry, I also have been wondering the same. Consuming weed is a psychedelic trip for me and I used it for healing for a while as it helped me to gain insights and to expose things deeply buried in my psyche 

Posted (edited)

Cannabinoid activity has been shown to increase activity related to the 5HT2A receptors, which is how the "classical psychedelics" (LSD, psilocybin, DMT, etc.) get most of their effects. To what degree this makes weed similar to classical psychedelics, I don't know. But there are many overlaps between weed and classical psychedelics in terms of the reported effects (you can look them up on PsychonautWiki).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Posted (edited)

On 5/23/2024 at 5:06 PM, Lila9 said:

It might be something that is related to its chemistry, I also have been wondering the same. Consuming weed is a psychedelic trip for me and I used it for healing for a while as it helped me to gain insights and to expose things deeply buried in my psyche 

Weed absolutely affects people differently, for some it's bumping up against the psychedelic realm. Like a lot of plants there's a very wide diversity of "weed" (beyond just sativa vs. indica, thousands of terpines, chemicals etc.) and especially with some of these edibles, vapes, concentrates you can take yourself into "the deep murky waters of the soul."

What the west broadly defines as "psychotic" mental illnesses (Bipolar, Schizophrenia) can have very strong psychedelic reactions, potentially triggering psychosis in a lot of cases.  

Edited by Dabidoe

Posted (edited)

On 5/25/2024 at 3:25 PM, Dabidoe said:

Weed absolutely affects people differently, for some it's bumping up against the psychedelic realm. Like a lot of plants there's a very wide diversity of "weed" (beyond just sativa vs. indica, thousands of terpines, chemicals etc.) and especially with some of these edibles, vapes, concentrates you can take yourself into "the deep murky waters of the soul."

What the west broadly defines as "psychotic" mental illnesses (Bipolar, Schizophrenia) can have very strong psychedelic reactions, potentially triggering psychosis in a lot of cases.  

Yes, that makes sense. My father has schizophrenia, and I was warned that by smoking weed or taking psychedelics, I put myself at a higher risk than the average person of having psychosis.

Edited by Lila9

Posted (edited)

On 5/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, jonatech256 said:

In my previous forum post, I mentioned my search for psychedelics, which proved challenging to find from a reliable source in my country. To satisfy this curiosity, I resorted to using weed, especially edibles. I consume them weekly, and my experiences often evoke similarities to the effects of psychedelics as described by others. While under the influence of weed, I frequently find myself reminiscing about my childhood experiences, which has aided me in accepting and understanding my past.

Weed (especially edibles) could most definitely be considered a psychedelic. It has the ability to bring about inspired and profound thoughts, and it connects you to a deeper part of your mind. In my opinion though, it pales in comparison to the serotonin-based molecules like DMT. If you can do so safely, and you feel called to it, I'd keep a lookout for those.

On 5/23/2024 at 9:39 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Cannabinoid activity has been shown to increase activity related to the 5HT2A receptors, which is how the "classical psychedelics" (LSD, psilocybin, DMT, etc.) get most of their effects. To what degree this makes weed similar to classical psychedelics, I don't know. But there are many overlaps between weed and classical psychedelics in terms of the reported effects (you can look them up on PsychonautWiki).

Very interesting, I haven't researched weed so I wasn't aware of this. I guess it backs up the psychedelic classification even more.

Edited by What Am I

Not sure, but I know weed is completely different to me now that I've done a good amount of psychedelic trips, and I am very mindful of it. I used to smoke it 24/7 for 2 years, but now I have to prepare for it as it's just too much. I get many thought insights on it that are similar to those I get on trips, though the insights are not as 'sticky' and long-term in action as with psychedelics, which is something many others have related to when I researched this.

6 minutes ago, ricachica said:

I used to smoke it 24/7 for 2 years, but now I have to prepare for it as it's just too much.

Same. I bet that's a very common theme for people who start using psychedelics with the same aim as people on this forum.

Even though it's strong and difficult to handle though, I wouldn't say it's enjoyable or spiritually beneficial. Maybe compared to nothing, but not compared to psychedelics.

Posted (edited)

Weed is not in itself a psychedelic or non-psychedelic. It has the potential of acting as a psychedelic, a stimulant or a depressant.

The method of consumption, the set and setting, frequency of use, personal history and intention all have a major effect on what potentials in the plant come forward. 

Take an edible in a beautiful place in nature without any distractions, after a tolerance break, with no phone and set a real intention as you would with a psychedelic and you're likely gonna have a totally different experience than sitting at home hitting the bong eating pizza for the 5th time this week. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Interesting podcast on weed & sleep seems to point out a lot of the benefits of cannabis go away and a lot of the problems mainly arise with frequent use. Weed shutting down your REM sleep but also causes sleep disturbance (waking up early) contributes to a lot of the moodiness, addictive "cycling" (feeling bad, smoking, getting sober, feeling bad.) Something to consider, poison is in the dose/frequency. 

https://themattwalkerpodcast.buzzsprout.com/1821163/14931013
 https://themattwalkerpodcast.buzzsprout.com/1821163/15098359

Posted (edited)

Everything is psychoactive.

if you eat a tomato you’ll notice that you’re high now on tomato. The air you breathe, the food you eat, the location you look, the thoughts you think, sound you hear, memories you experience... all of it is psychoactive. High on life.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

If we would be technical, I would say it's because of a few things. 

1) It kind of just works with your thoughts. It doesn't add any strong visual or other sensual perceptions. You won't be led to Truth/God/Consciosness with it directly. 

2) Psychedelics mostly bring a ONE time experience; whereas you can come off of weed and smoke it again with the same results. Psychedelics require some time to come off and chill, integrate the experience. THC is more like on/off button. 

3) Most psychedelic drugs fall into one of the three families of chemical compounds: tryptamines, phenethylamines, or lysergamides 

56 minutes ago, integral said:

Everything is psychoactive.

if you eat a tomato you’ll notice that you’re high now on tomato. The air you breathe, the food you eat, the location you look, the thoughts you think, sound you hear, memories you experience... all of it is psychoactive. High on life.

Psychoactive ≠ psychedelic though 🤔

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Weed was always very comforting & "safe" feeling to me. Which is why I was so addicted to it. Never got me to face my inner shit. It was always a blanket. Which is the whole problem. Psychedelics aren't fun. Although they could be. They are whatever the fuck they are in the moment & sometimes that's terrifying, suffering, not-fun. Which is why they are so great! Weed never revealed anything hidden from me. Weed was always the one hiding the stuff.

Sailing on the ceiling 

17 hours ago, petar8p said:

1) It kind of just works with your thoughts. It doesn't add any strong visual or other sensual perceptions. You won't be led to Truth/God/Consciosness with it directly. 

This is the actual effect - am wondering what will happen if I try shrooms

On 5/31/2024 at 10:17 AM, TheAlchemist said:

Weed is not in itself a psychedelic or non-psychedelic.

can't recommend a better definition than this :D

On 5/24/2024 at 0:06 AM, Lila9 said:

what is your mode of consumption and does it give you the same effects everytime - by the way how often do you use it