Majed

Understanding Lebanon

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys would be great to share videos and educational content concerning the history, politics, geography, culture... of Lebanon. I am lebanese myself, and i bet with this process i will learn way more about my country, and it would be great also for you guys to discover this country in deeper ways... 

Would love to go to Beirut and Byblos. Is it safe for tourists? I hope Israel doesn’t do a Gaza on it. 

I grew up and went to school with a lot of Lebanese heritage kids, as they went to catholic schools and their families migrated to my country.. 

Australia. I think the climate is hot like Lebanon, so would have been appealing for them to come here. A lot came. 

Posted (edited)

Edited by Majed

Here's an even more original insight on the history of Lebanon:

Lebanon's enduring pluralism stems from its environment itself - the rugged, fragmented landscape of the Mount Lebanon range created the conditions for diversity to take root and flourish over centuries.

The towering Lebanon Mountains, which hug the Mediterranean coastline, are composed of narrow valleys separated by soaring limestone peaks. This compartmentalized geography made it extremely difficult for any central authority to project control and enforce homogeneity.

As a result, different religious sects, ethnic groups and clans were able to carve out their own isolated enclaves and micro-societies across the mountain range's multitude of valleys and villages. Maronite Christians dominated certain areas, Druze others, along with Sunni, Shia and other minority populations scattered across the terrain.

This decentralized human geography mirrored the fragmented ecological landscapes, where diverse microclimates, soil conditions and terroirs shaped localized systems of agriculture, architecture, cuisine and culture. Proximity bred connection, but the peaks divided communities into semi-autonomous worlds.

Over centuries, the Lebanon Mountain range became a refugium for persecuted minorities fleeing invaders and persecution from wider regions. Its isolating geography providing sanctuary for diversity to persistence despite broader homogenizing forces at play.

So by the time modern Lebanon emerged as a nation-state, it inherited a deeply pluralistic society archaeologized into its very physical terrain. The mountains had preserved a kaleidoscope of communal identities in a way that flatter, more integrated landscapes may not have.

Rather than the nation precedingly ethnic or religious cohesion, in Lebanon, pluralism and heterogeneity took spatial form first through the agency of an unruly environment that existed outside centralized control for ages. The landscape itself was pluralism's protector and crucible.

This ecological legacy shaped an almost cellular model of sovereignty in Lebanon. No single authority could supersede the sovereignty and autonomy of communities structured into pockets of the mountain terrain over centuries. Diverse co-existence became a geographical imperative.

So while conflict and tensions between Lebanon's factions have erupted cyclically, the nation's existence relies on perpetually mirroring its own landscape - a pluralistic motley wherein every fragment belongs to the whole.

sourced from ai

wondering if you guys care about lebanon lmao

12 hours ago, Majed said:

I’ve been watching your vids and this guy who travelled through. The mountains look like the mountains closest to my city and I’ve always heard Lebanese people say they remind them of Lebanon. 

@Majed

On 2024-05-24 at 1:22 PM, Majed said:

Lebanese cuisine:

Geography: