Majed

is music relative or objective

79 posts in this topic

@Majed For how i see it, in art are present both objective and subjective elements:

what is objective: Popularity, influence (on other artists), originality, tecnichal ability, level of equipement, sales.

What is subjective: all the rest.

"x is better then" is a subjective statement. objectivity cannot measure what is "better", because "better" is not a measurable.

Posted (edited)

There is a degree of objectivity to it. A major 3rd is a major 3rd. Doesn't matter how you slice it. Doesn't matter the instrument. Doesn't matter the register. A third is a third. Period. A 16th note is a 16th note. By definition. Snap your fingers steadily & put 4 equally spaced notes inside of that pulse. Those are 16th notes. By definition.

Now how you feel about all of that is entirely subjective. How you feel about classical music vs hip hop is subjective. There's objectivity in music but not in the way you make it out to be.

So it's both.

Edited by Rigel

Sailing on the ceiling 

Posted (edited)

On 5/19/2024 at 3:25 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Yeah, why?

Not at all. It all depends on the composer. 

It uses real instruments which have a deeper connection to our psyche.

Notice we use classical music in almost all things seen on television(as background music which supports the emotions). 

I only listen to beethoven from the baroque era since he is very similar to modern hip-hop. 

Edited by MAHAVATAR_-_BABAJI

• Feminist 

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Nemra said:

I think it depends on people's expectations and the context.

Reminds me of this song:

They're intentionally singing "bad", probably because that is the theme of the song ("the radio is broken"), or because of some other artistic impulse (regardless, the singers know how to sing better than that lol). For these kinds of songs, whether it will be considered good or bad more boils down to the discrepancy between the intended performance and the actual performance, which is really no longer about the music but the skill of the artist. If it's a live performance, people can compare it to the studio record. If it's recorded in the studio, people can compare it to the general expectation of the genre. If there is no expectation of the genre (which you can argue for this particular case), it's compared to the musicians and listeners own personal expectations, which not coincidentally starts to become very subjective.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

What music do elephants like?

1 minute ago, UnbornTao said:

Heavy metal.

Just now, Carl-Richard said:

Heavy metal.

Those bastards.

:P 

2 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

Classical music!

Posted (edited)

@Yimpa

I somehow predicted you would post that :ph34r:

Now play them some Meshuggah and watch them headbang and fistpump with their trunk.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Posted (edited)

On 20/05/2024 at 9:50 PM, Yimpa said:

Classical music!

Snob elephant. ;) 

Cats, dogs, chimpanzees, dolphins, and birds presumably seem to respond to music, too.

Edited by UnbornTao

In Frederick Dodson’s book “Levels Of Energy” he describes the different levels of energy and gives examples for many different things… including music genres.

That TuPac song “can’t c see me”  would probably resonate around 100 and the gold Bach variations probably around high 400s to 500.

Different levels of energy aren’t better or worse… they just contain different frequencies and vibrations… the higher levels being more conducive to states of love and beauty.. the lower ones creating states of disharmony and anger.

that’s one way to frame it 

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@Majed

On 2024-05-19 at 7:52 PM, Majed said:

if music is subjective than why is classical music better than hip hop for example ? and if you say hip hop is better well then you're not serious.

Music is both objective and subjective, and is a domain within ART which also houses visuals and bodily art like martial arts. Also even in music there are so many other genres of music, like orchestra, classical, folk, cultural and national. For example in Hip Hop you could say it's objective because there's history to Hip Hop music and genres within like in rap music there's Reggae, Boom bap rap, then later you have Kayne West type of R&B or even Drake's club banger music beats, mumble rap, UK Grime and UK Drill, even down to individual groups and artists like Eminem, Kendrick Lamar, J Cole(I don't like), Lil' Wayne, Jidi, then OGs like Tupac Shakur, Biggie, Big L, Big Pun, Cannibis, LL Cool Jay, Ice Cube, Wutang Clan, Immortal Technique, Busta Rhymes, and so on. Subjectivity comes into play with how each person's ears likes sonically, how our mind's ears like to replay songs and bars. For example I can replay a few entire albums in my mind like 009 sound system Dream scape because I do like the melodies there,  the special effects in the audio it's catchy for me to remember completely, and then there are other music I don't like and either am lucky to forget or is stuck in memory for me.

What music do crocodiles like?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you want to know, if good music is objective or not, just listen to this ai generated music video.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

56 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

"Crocodilian Symphony" features deep bass and low frequencies, natural soundscapes, steady rhythmic patterns, and minimal melodic elements to align with crocodile nature, psychology, anatomy, and social behavior. The deep bass tones resonate with their sensitivity to low-frequency sounds and vibrations, which they use to detect prey and environmental changes. Natural sounds of water splashing, river currents, and rainfall replicate their habitat, providing comfort and reducing stress. Consistent, repetitive beats (60-80 BPM) avoid startling the crocodiles and help maintain a calm state, mimicking the rhythmic environmental sounds they are accustomed to. Simple, droning tones and minimal complexity prevent overstimulation, keeping them relaxed. Understanding that crocodiles are territorial and sensitive to environmental changes, this music creates a sense of security, reduces aggression, and facilitates a natural, less stressful environment.

Recently Tamed Feral Buddhist Critter                   Restful Cube        

@Yimpa

On 2024-05-19 at 8:03 PM, Yimpa said:

They’re both great

Nah man, that last second video with the piano sounded a bit cringe to me, felt sorry for the piano. In fact both are racist ways of injecting hip hop into a music genre that doesn't support hip hop at all. Hip Hop came from the streets and from black culture, so forcing in Hip Hop into classical music is reverse racism, but it also is racist in that the white culture is culturally appropriating black music, in this case hip hop, into orchestra and classical music. Sorry it doesn't sound right to my ears and I immediately feel something very off putting about that.

@Yimpa

18 hours ago, Yimpa said:

Classical music!

Careful, Leo hates elephants and doesn't believe elephants can paint and express artistry in their elephant way.

6 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Yimpa

Careful, Leo hates elephants and doesn't believe elephants can paint and express artistry in their elephant way.

Stop saying nonsense.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.