Bryan Johnson: Meditation, Ketamine, Longevity, Philosophies, Consciousness

15 posts in this topic

DON'T DIE :D 

We have a INFINITE COSMOS to explore.

On 16/05/2024 at 6:27 PM, CARDOZZO said:

DON'T DIE :D 

We may be out of luck. 

;) 

Honestly Brian looks like  vegan vampire, he doesnt look healthy at all.

The delusion is thinking that exploring the cosmos is contingent on your biological identity. In many ways, this pursuit of immortality is actually an infantile attempt to freeze reality and ultimately undermines novelty more than it serves it.

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Shawn Philips said:

Honestly Brian looks like  vegan vampire, he doesnt look healthy at all.

Yeah, i don't like his appearance. 

Edited by CARDOZZO

1 hour ago, Nilsi said:

The delusion is thinking that exploring the cosmos is contingent on your biological identity. In many ways, this pursuit of immortality is actually an infantile attempt to freeze reality and ultimately undermines novelty more than it serves it.

We have to advance here. AI will reach insane levels of intelligence. Immortality is a gateway to explore different narratives. We'll want to do different things than AI. 

Just watched this episode yesterday. I found his approach more interesting than expected. Although I disagree with some of his dispositions I like how radically he pursues his vision and making his life this big experimental project. 

2 hours ago, Shawn Philips said:

Honestly Brian looks like  vegan vampire

Haha, quite accurate :D

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, CARDOZZO said:

We have to advance here. AI will reach insane levels of intelligence. Immortality is a gateway to explore different narratives. We'll want to do different things than AI. 

Death is fundamental to life. Can we agree on that much?

Edited by Nilsi

“We are most nearly ourselves when we achieve the seriousness of the child at play.” - Heraclitus

Look at his arm, he has 5 Meo DMT formula tattooed on his arm. So he must really love this drug.

He never talked about 5 Meo.

2 hours ago, Nilsi said:

Death is fundamental to life. Can we agree on that much?

It is more complicated than that unfortunately. Bryan is crafting a new human paradigm where death doesn't exist. In the past, philosophers/artists were inclined to revere death as a powerful thing that drives humanity to make the best out of life. This is not the case anymore. We want to be more like God, expanding our power/intelligence through the entire Cosmos.

Posted (edited)

34 minutes ago, CARDOZZO said:

It is more complicated than that unfortunately. Bryan is crafting a new human paradigm where death doesn't exist. In the past, philosophers/artists were inclined to revere death as a powerful thing that drives humanity to make the best out of life. This is not the case anymore. We want to be more like God, expanding our power/intelligence through the entire Cosmos.

I understand his position quite well, as I have listened to most of his interviews. He speaks about Life with a capital "L," referring to an eternal, omnipresent existence that isn't contingent on death and is supposedly accessible to humans through various means - primarily involving automating all human health (he seems to focus almost exclusively on biological/somatic health concerns, i.e., those that fall within the paradigm of Western science and medicine) through superintelligent AI. Although he's also into 5-MeO-DMT, so who knows what he really has in mind regarding immortality.

He frequently invokes Alfred North Whitehead, whom I greatly admire, and often quotes: 

"Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking of them." 

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment, and it is central to my own understanding of development and progress.

I mainly disagree with a few key points:

• The implicit teleology and universalism 
  • The unquestioned premise that extending human life for eternity is an absolute good

I find death beautiful. Death is omnipresent in nature. All indigenous cultures, as well as proto-cultural behavior in many species, revere and celebrate death, holding it as sacred in the context of living in accordance with nature. To me, the most beautiful art is that which flirts with death to some degree. I still believe, perhaps naively, like the philosophers and artists of old you referred to, that death, finitude, and impermanence give life its meaning and allow us to truly value our existence...

I respect the guy and think he's doing very meaningful work; it's just not for me. I worry that he suffers from many of the same delusions that Leo did/does - thinking he is some kind of messiah when all he is, is a highly intelligent, creative, ambitious, benevolent human being who is just as flawed as any of us.

Edited by Nilsi

@Nilsi I appreciate your POV.

I'm considerably biased because of STEM background.

Death is one of the most powerful inventions.

Why not change a narrative, explore the cosmos and turn into a hybrid species?

I'm here for it :) 

The reality of death terrifies us. It is the antithesis of self. 

35 minutes ago, UnbornTao said:

The reality of death terrifies us. It is the antithesis of self. 

Actually, I don't have fear of death.

If I die, whatever...

I would like to see future generations, explore the cosmos and travel to distance places.

It's a desire to live on a sci-fi plot.

Posted (edited)

On 21/05/2024 at 3:15 PM, CARDOZZO said:

Actually, I don't have fear of death.

If I die, whatever...

I would like to see future generations, explore the cosmos and travel to distance places.

It's a desire to live on a sci-fi plot.

Maybe you do. Consider that what you're not afraid of is an idea or concept of death; a vague, future possibility, not its present reality. It is the end of self. This is hard not to take personally.

Edited by UnbornTao