Something Funny

Is indie game development a legitimate life purpose?

20 posts in this topic

I feel like it could be really fun, and creative, and I could create something beautiful, but on the other hand I wonder if my life purpose should be something more real and should have more impact on the world.

You can make indie games with the purpose that they have a positive impact on the world.

11 hours ago, Something Funny said:

I could create something beautiful, but on the other hand I wonder if my life purpose should be something more real and should have more impact on the world.

Some may argue that videogames can be more real than normal life. Especially in like 10-20 years when VR starts popping off, the boundaries between real and virtual will be blurred. Also I have been very impacted by games. I would not be the person I am today without Minecraft

Posted (edited)

@Phil King how were you impacted by minecraft?

Edited by Something Funny

1 hour ago, Something Funny said:

how were you impacted by minecraft?

I made some of my closest friends on minecraft. The community around a game is almost as important as the game itself, and minecraft at its peak had one of the best communities, especially on YouTube.

Also just the general creativity of being able to create whatever you want in an infinite sandbox I think helped me develop some creative skills + attention span. I remember working for weeks with friends to build towns and castles. Its hard to say because I basically played the game since I was 10, but I think it definitely had an impact on my creativity and also a deeper appreciation for architecture.

Red Dead Redemption 2 also had an impact on me. I know thats not an indie game and had like thousands of people working on it, but I think its a good example of how videogames can surpass movies as a storytelling medium where you can actually be in the story and change the outcome

Sure

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

@Leo Gura but even in your newest video you've said that young people are wasting thousands of hours playing video games, and how this is problematic. 

If I became a game developer, I would be contributing to this issue, right? Even if it was a beautiful, artistic game.

Edited by Something Funny

Great example of an indie game dev who just dropped a great game:

Posted (edited)

On 5/15/2024 at 10:37 AM, Something Funny said:

@Leo Gura but even in your newest video you've said that young people are wasting thousands of hours playing video games, and how this is problematic. 

If I became a game developer, I would be contributing to this issue, right? Even if it was a beautiful, artistic game.

Games are meant to be played in moderation, a few weeks out of the year. That is their proper function. Just because others abuse games does not mean you can't design beautiful games.

There is a valid role for art and entertainment in the world. In fact it is necessary.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I feel there is something inherently wrong that I feel emotionally after working 10 hours on Warcraft III editor. It just boring and depressing somehow.

But I don't have this feeling when I practice or compose music for extended periods, just more frustration as it is harder mentally somehow. And I feel internally I am wired to do music, but I know it's not the ultimate thing in life to do.

Edited by Applegarden8

25 minutes ago, Applegarden8 said:

Yeah, I feel there is something inherently wrong that I feel emotionally after working 10 hours on Warcraft III editor. It just boring and depressing somehow

What maps are you making, haha?

Posted (edited)

I always start making something just to delete it. This time I started making a map that I will work on once in a while like 2 hours per week, but i will not delete it no matter what, even if i will not finish it and quit making. Great. The idea is simple, you have a regular RTS map with modified Human race with upgrades to scale later in the game and it's like a 8 player defence aginst creeps like 100 of them spawning in different combinations and they get stronger and have more abilities as the game progresses. The cool thing is that their abilities force the player to respond and it's not just who has the most attack damage or hitpoints. These creeps can steal your creeps. Turn them to their side or just nuke them or make them all fall asleep or keep healing themselves so you have to think how to counter them.

I want to put an end to the whole computer game saga of my life and just keep going more music and putting more energy into getting healthy and meditation. But I wanted to challenge myself to make a map since most of the custom maps are garbage on wc3 and people like witii (a wc3 streamer plays those shitty maps which blows my mind). And reforged sucks. Blizzard sucks. The end.

BTW there is something very funny with giving wc3 AI abilities like wind walk and watching him use them. But yeah I am very clear, what I am doing is what I shouldn't be doing. But I underestand that I can't quit to just transition to having a purposeful life or whatever, it has been my coping strategy for life for like 18 years. But I have had periods where I haven't played at all. But! When I "quit" or change it for a different activity, it goes into the next delusion like over eating, watching the internet, social media and stalking, gossiping, sexuality or the disease of taking life too seriously and being afraid about everything. So my computer game addiction primarily was one of these manifestations of a bigger problem.

Edited by Applegarden8

Why are you asking us? lol

It's YOUR Authority & Autonomy......"it is what YOU say it is"

9 hours ago, Applegarden8 said:

The idea is simple, you have a regular RTS map with modified Human race with upgrades to scale later in the game and it's like a 8 player defence aginst creeps like 100 of them spawning in different combinations and they get stronger and have more abilities as the game progresses. The cool thing is that their abilities force the player to respond and it's not just who has the most attack damage or hitpoints. These creeps can steal your creeps. Turn them to their side or just nuke them or make them all fall asleep or keep healing themselves so you have to think how to counter them.

Sounds interesting.

Is only human race modified?

I want to put an end to the whole computer game saga of my life and just keep going more music and putting more energy into getting healthy and meditation. But I wanted to challenge myself to make a map since most of the custom maps are garbage on wc3 and people like witii (a wc3 streamer plays those shitty maps which blows my mind). And reforged sucks. Blizzard sucks. The end.

Have you considered that you are maybe taking the whole thing too seriously? I think playing games once in a awhile is not a big deal.

But I wanted to challenge myself to make a map since most of the custom maps are garbage on wc3 and people like witii (a wc3 streamer plays those shitty maps which blows my mind). And reforged sucks. Blizzard sucks. The end.

Yeah, I never found his streams that interesting. I prefer watching regular games, I think.

I used to love playing custom games as a child though. My favourite were: catle fight, life in arena, and some custom moba games.

There is this moba game called Naruto Legend. Based on Naruto, of course. It's so good. The amount of work they've put into the map and character abilities is insane.

Getting to be an artist is a tremendous privilege. Its important because it enriches society. Without art, life would be very humdrum and less meaningful.

Posted (edited)

On 14/05/2024 at 7:38 AM, Something Funny said:

but on the other hand I wonder if my life purpose should be something more real and should have more impact on the world.

Bro ur literally providing entertainment to people; thats a way of removing their misery.

I also fell into the same trap by trying force myself to learn AI/ML, but that shit feels autistic as fuck. So I might just consider just doing game dev or physics simulation, even tho society hyping AI/ML

Edited by EdgeGod900

God likes to cosplay as a human O.o xDxD