Happy Lizard

Rating values according to LP

6 posts in this topic

I’m finally at the point of rating my values for the LP course, though I’m not sure if I’m doing it correctly.

Example: if I rate creativity above art and then beauty above creativity, but when choosing between art and beauty I choose art. How will these values fit? Will  It not be a contradiction to say the final  order is:

creativity

art 

beauty 

Since I already have beauty above creativity form the second comparison. Am I doing this right? Are we supposed to add the times we choose a value against the others and arrange them that way?

I couldn’t find any discussion about this in the form so I decided to ask.

16 hours ago, Happy Lizard said:

if I rate creativity above art and then beauty above creativity, but when choosing between art and beauty I choose art. How will these values fit?

Are you sure that these are clear and distinct values that have no overlap? I had creativity and art on my list, but when I did the definitions, I found that they were basically describing the same thing, so I stuck with art and then had room to add one more value in. In practice, when you are being creative, you are typically trying to create a beautiful work of art, so I would say these are just different terms to describe the same thing.

Posted (edited)

17 hours ago, Happy Lizard said:

creativity

art 

beauty 

Those 3 values are so similar that their exact order shouldn't matter too much.

This process isn't a precise science.

You can refine their order after a year or two of working on your LP once you specify it. As you do the work of your LP, the feedback from your work will help you refine which value exactly matters most to you of those 3.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

@Phil King well to me art is about skill, creativity is generating ideas, creative solutions and having creative freedom in expression which can be limited for different reasons, beauty is more aesthetics and living a life where every aspect form the clothes you wear to the house you live in to the city etc is beautiful or aesthetically pleasing, it’s also about spreading beauty though design or art or some sort of information product which yeah it does intersect at least here with art.

Idk art can be beautiful but it doesn’t have to be to be art, which is why I have them separated, creativity on the other hand is harder for me to define since I can only be doing a solid thing related to this value by reading a book about creativity, or taking notes and recording ideas etc.  

Edited by Happy Lizard

@Leo Gura This is great to know. I was wondering if these values have to be solid and unchanging, or it can be changed with time. I have to list completed but I sense that there is a bit more room for work on finding precise values.

You will revisit your values once a year and refine them based on your life experience. It may take 5-10 years of that before you are solid.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.