Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kamill

Career problem

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm struggling to accept the fact that I've lost about 30% of my vocal power. My lifelong dream was to become an opera singer, and I had a promising start—I got into opera school, performed, and was recognized for my talent. Singing was not only my passion but also my means of making a living. However, since experiencing a vocal injury, I've noticed a significant decline in my voice's strength and agility, making it difficult for me to perform as I used to.

I feel trapped in a cycle of regret and frustration, constantly dwelling on what could have been. The last performance I had was disappointing, and it has deeply affected me. Being an opera singer requires peak vocal fitness, and I know I can't achieve that anymore with my current condition. It's disheartening to realize that the one thing I excelled at is now beyond my reach.

I'm torn between moving on from my dream or persevering despite the setbacks. Every day feels like a roller coaster of emotions, and I'm unsure how to navigate this turmoil. Any advice on overcoming this challenge and finding closure would be greatly appreciated.

Continue singing. And probably not for an audience. A retreat to heal and strengthen your vocal muscles would be a good opportunity now. 

From reading your post, you were on the verge of giving up not because you can't sing.. But the fear of outcome.. But yes, the making a living part must be weighing on you to make a wiser choice. That should have to go. Meaning, forget all about making a living if you wanna excel at something you've taken a hit at. It's true for everything creative. Money aspect just gets in the way. 

Good day. 

Posted (edited)

@kamill Of course research all you can about vocal recovery and take all the time to recover and maybe hiring a vocal coach if you haven't already . The worst thing you can do is do singing strenuously. Many famous singers have dealt with this and continue their careers so since you have the talent then you'll likely get through this.. Im a musician myself, without getting too much into my story it is a long road with obstacles especially to make a career of it. But so is any career path, so if you love it then its worth it. Though I have had a side income the whole time so far.  

Edited by Fabio