Harikrishnan

Protien powder suggestion

46 posts in this topic

I have started to go to gym, 5'7ft and127 pounds and want to increase my muscle volume and mass around 145-150. I eats 5 eggs and chicken. I would like to add protien powder. But also confused about its purity, does anyone know some good protien brands and Is there some site to know purity of your product? 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

If you want results within a month, take creatine not protein powder. Your diet already has enough protein. No need to supplement it further.

3g/day would work wonders. All that you have to do is to make sure to take 3L of water per day. Good luck. And put the work in the gym.

Posted (edited)

Truvani and sunwarrior, Idk which one's better but they're pretty clean vegan options with minimal ingredients, also very expensive. Look for one that has EEA's added to it or add it yourself, I wouldn't get the dairy-derived ones cuz dairy causes acne for me. at 127 pounds though, which is approximately where I was a few months ago, I'd start drinking a liter of milk a day in addition to 300g of rice and half a kilogram of the leanest ground beef or ground wild game I could find. This is exactly what I did and gained around 15kg and still going.

It's pretty atrocious health advice though. Not optimal long term. Unless you're insensitive to both cholesterol and saturated fat, which could be the case, the most likely scenario is you're insensitive to cholesterol but sensitive to saturated fat like most people. If cholesterol sensitivity is a thing in the first place, saturated fat sensitivity definitely is. Wouldn't eat this much without intense everyday exercise.

The problem with protein powders is that all the cheap ones are crap and contaminated, and all cleaner ones are more expensive than real food, It's only something for convenience rather than value.

Edited by MarkKol

54 minutes ago, MarkKol said:

Truvani

Did you discover about them from my posts here. Just curious. Markkus Products from "A heal life" on YT is good too. 

Know thyself....

3 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

Did you discover about them from my posts here. Just curious. Markkus Products from "A heal life" on YT is good too. 

I discovered it on Bryan Johnson's website first but I saw your posts.

1 hour ago, MarkKol said:

I discovered it on Bryan Johnson's website first but I saw your posts.

Ok

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

You probably don't need it as long as your diet is sufficient. Eggs and chicken are not the only source of protein. You probably don't want to rely excessively on eggs for protein, the long term cost benefit ratio is potentially not worth it.

Expand your diet with a variety of other ingredients and you'll easily hit your goal every day.

Dairy - cottage cheese, yoghurt, cheddar, mozzarella, semi skimmed milk, 

Legume - dahl, lentils, bean, soy, chickpeas, 

Whole grain and legume pasta is an excellent protein source 

Soy products like tofu, tempeh, soy yoghurts are good

Fish and seafood 

It's really about batching together a variety of ingredients and learning how to make the meals taste nice.

But the true growth comes from sufficient stimulation in the gym. Full body training 3 times a week, train mostly big lifts, compound movements with, and your muscles will grow fairly quickly. 

Ofcourse sleep & stress management 

Only then If you feel you're not getting there, add something like a hemp protein or whey

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

22 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

excessively on eggs for protein, the long term cost benefit ratio is potentially not worth it.

Is there a cost? 

Posted (edited)

Sunwarrior is full of heavy metals.

Watch out. Powdered food is not to be trusted, no matter how expensive or "vegan" it is.

Try to stick to whole foods.

Edited by Leo Gura

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Sunwarrior is full of heavy metals.

Watch out. Powdered food is not to be trusted, no matter how expensive or "vegan" it is.

Try to stick to whole foods.

What about creatine? Does it also have heavy metals?

22 minutes ago, Bobby_2021 said:

What about creatine? Does it also have heavy metals?

I don't know. Probably not.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, MarkKol said:

Is there a cost? 

Potentially..... if you have history of certain diseases in a family or just want to err on the side of caution. 

link <- Egg consumption and breast cancer risk: a meta-analysis
It is a small risk. The risk is marginal and the RR revolves around 4-5%, slightly higher in asian and postmenopausal women when  comparing to people who eat 0 eggs. While this is a breast cancer study, due to some hormonal similarities in pathophysiology of breast cancer and prostate cancer, I think this data is relevant to men as well. 

Interestingly, above 5 per day that effect somewhat disappears and actually there is a 3% risk reduction. 
 [above or >5 eggs/week (RR 0.97, 95 % CI 0.88-1.06).] although statistical significance is lost so this result is questionable. 

Interestingly they did another meta-analysis in 2015 which is sort of pointing similar direction. This one is less ambiguous.  You can see that the direction effect slightly increases with increased dose, starting at 5 and running up to 9 which is where it cuts off, I assume they simply had hard time finding sufficiently powered enough cohort which was eating more than 9 eggs per weeks and had a diagnosis but I'd assume it gets worse the more eggs you eat. 

"For breast cancer, the linear dose-response meta-analysis found a non-significantly increased risk RR for an increase of 5 eggs consumed/week: 1·05, 95% CI 0·99, 1·11, n 16,023 cases). Evidence for non-linearity was not statistically significant (P non-linearity= 0·50, n 15,415 cases) but consuming ≥ 5 eggs/week was significantly associated with an increased risk of breast cancer compared with no egg consumption, with the summary RR being 1·04 (95% CI 1·01, 1·07) for consuming 5 eggs/week and 1·09 (95% CI 1·03, 1·15) for consuming about 9 eggs/week. For other cancers investigated, the summary RR for an increase of 5 eggs consumed/week was 1·09 (95% CI 0·96, 1·24, n 2636 cases) for ovarian cancer; 1·47 (95% CI 1·01, 2·14, n 609 cases) for fatal prostate cancer, with evidence of small-study effects (P Egger= 0·04)

So read this however you like.

You could say that people who rely on eggs and dairy for protein (e.g. ovolactovegetarians) instead of relying excessively red meat and processed red meat would do better health-wise because they also tend to eat more vegetables, fruit and lead a healthier lifestyle in general. The evidence seems to be in support of that at least when it comes to chronic disease. 

I'd also like to see a newer meta analysis because there has to be more data and I'm surprised it hasn't been done since 2015 or at least not that I was able to filter for. 

Yet the effects shown above is undeniable. An argument could be made that the detrimental effect of eggs is not driven by eggs per se but by confounding variables such as people who eat eggs also likely eat more bacon, butter and processed meat (e.g. British Breakfast or American Breakfast - which is basically horrible). Or it could be that people who eat so many eggs are less likely to be physically active and more likely to also smoke, drink etc. A good meta analysis will test for existence of confounding variables if it is sufficiently powered by good cohort size., not all are as those are very very expensive to run,. 

Still, once you get a little bit older, I don't think it is a good idea to be flooding your body with all that animal derived cholesterol since a lot of men already have hypertension issue and a predisposing cholesterol issue. 

It is all about the whole picture. For a health conscious person eating more eggs could bea proxy to eating more vegetables overall, if you, for example make your scramble with mushrooms, greens and tons of other veggies. 

My personal reflection on eggs was that they are a natural multivitamin and eating, on average, one per day goes along those lines. It also appears that some research is in support of this hypothesis. I'm not telling you what to do, consider this a strongly biased opinion.

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Can this also apply to other things like supplements? Like lion Maine in powder forma (depending on brands)

22 hours ago, Michael569 said:

You probably don't need it as long as your diet is sufficient. Eggs and chicken are not the only source of protein. You probably don't want to rely excessively on eggs for protein, the long term cost benefit ratio is potentially not worth it.

Expand your diet with a variety of other ingredients and you'll easily hit your goal every day.

Dairy - cottage cheese, yoghurt, cheddar, mozzarella, semi skimmed milk, 

Legume - dahl, lentils, bean, soy, chickpeas, 

Whole grain and legume pasta is an excellent protein sourcey products like tofu, tempeh, soy yoghurts are good

Fish and seafood 

It's really about batching together a variety of ingredients and learning how to make the meals taste nice.

But the true growth comes from sufficient stimulation in the gym. Full body training 3 times a week, train mostly big lifts, compound movements with, and your muscles will grow fairly quickly. 

Ofcourse sleep & stress management 

Only then If you feel you're not getting there, add something like a hemp protein or whey

Thank you! Michael 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

11 hours ago, Michael569 said:

So read this however you like.

That's the problem as I see it; there is far too much noise surrounding whatever signal these studies of capable of emitting.

Still, once you get a little bit older, I don't think it is a good idea to be flooding your body with all that animal derived cholesterol since a lot of men already have hypertension issue and a predisposing cholesterol issue. 

The key is to avoid oxidizing the cholesterol while cooking, which necessitates lesser heat and total cook time (I use an Instant Pot on lower pressure set to 6 minutes, for example) but yes, this is a concern for folks unaware of that nuance.

My personal reflection on eggs was that they are a natural multivitamin and eating, on average, one per day goes along those lines. It also appears that some research is in support of this hypothesis. I'm not telling you what to do, consider this a strongly biased opinion.

I advocate 2-4 daily, but again, never overcooked (fully cooked white and yolk with a soft inner yolk; grey or chalky yolks should be avoided). We all have our own biases at the end of the day, but it's good to see you advocate their consumption, even if only one per day. I'm curious how you like to prepare them for yourself? I always find pan frying a pain in the ass, so I just throw mine in an Instant Pot along with my other food, lol.

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Jason Actualization said:

s far too much noise surrounding whatever signal these studies of capable of emitting.

yeah but that's not the problem of the studies,  Research in itself, has ways to accrue the consensus of its own effects and meta analyse to show an estimated direction of effect. This has been done over and over (not just in nutrition but in psychology, behavioural sciences etc.).  This is the way pubic health guidelines are formed, for example. 

I think the real noise comes from elsewhere which is more likely tied to ego, desperate need for attention on social media, lake of scrutiny, lack of critical thinking  and lack of systems thinking. 

The key is to avoid oxidizing the cholesterol while cooking, which necessitates lesser heat and total cook time (

I'll just say that I don't believe the oxidised theory of heart disease is the right point of focus when looking at atherosclerosis pathology but I'll leave it there. 

I'm curious how you like to prepare them for yourself?

When I do, I just boil it in the pressure cooker and then have it hard boiled on the side of main dish. But I rarely eat eggs these days, its just not something that even comes to my mind most of the time, like my partner and I we'll have half a dozen and it will be in the fridge for 2 weeks then we make a mushroom omelette or a scramble when we want something different for breakfast, finish them off  and then forget to buy them for another 2 weeks, I don't see eggs as a necessary staple of the diet and I've never experienced anything that I could attribute to (due to not eating enough eggs). 

Its just a public nutrition myth that eggs are somehow a superfood that we all need to be eating more off. They're not and we don't. Maybe if you live in impoversihed society where eggs are  staple of foundational macronutrient or a micronutrient that you otherwise can't obtain elsewhere due to scarcity? Maybe, yeah. But for people like you and I and folks around this forum who are fortunate to be living in rich developed countries, living , what I assume with middle class parents or partners on a middle class income? Nah

Look, if we lived in an environment where calories were scarce and nutrition was not abundant but we had unlimited access to eggs, say through having a large farmland with 60 chickens roaming around, right? I'd act differently. But we don't have that scarcity and whatever eggs do, that we think is so healthy that cannot be obtained elsewhere, (which I am not convinced is the case at all), it is not worth it (to me and my biased opinion) the small potential risk of harm in the long term because most of those things can be obtained from foods that are associated with 0 harm and even benefit. 

Edited by Michael569

It has litteraly 0 interest, except perhaps for high level athletes.

The devil is in the details.

On 24/04/2024 at 8:59 PM, MarkKol said:

Truvani and sunwarrior

Lol.

Why not take normal brands like Prozis or Myproteins.

Posted (edited)

On 24/04/2024 at 9:55 PM, Princess Arabia said:

I love Markus Rothkranz. 

Edited by Schizophonia