lfvd95

What are meditation techniques that actually work?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

There are Meditations techinques galore: Samatha, Vipassana (which has it's many different versions), TWIM, the techniques described in Daniel Ingram's book "Mastering the core teaching of the Buddha, Mantra meditation, do nothing etc etc. You name it.
I've been practicing meditation for over 10 years now, mainly Vipassana (though on and off I must admit) gettin very mixed results.
When I was younger I could sit for over an hour with some but not too much effort, but I've also had periods where I could scarcely sit for 5 minutes.
Sometimes I get into a good mindfulness rythm, at other periods in my life I can't concentrate or observe my thoughts for the life of me. I've had many a mystical and enlightenment experience and gotten into the Jhanas (1-3) at different times, but my meditation has been anything but regular when it comes to results or to any feeling learning or progress. I recently tried TWIM, and while in some sensions I got into the first Jhana almos effortlessly after only 15 minutes, at some other times I cannot make the feeling arise, no matter what I do (including the forgiveness meditation).
I understand that ther eare many factors that influence the meditation and that fluctuations are normal and part of the experience. 

This notwithstanding, I have met hundresds of people who practice some form of meditation: yet most of them have never had a mysical or enlightenment experience, nor achieved any of the Jhanas. I wonder if it's the meditation technique, the instruction of the technique or the people themselves.
Now, I would very much like to ask if any of you have had similar (frustrating experiences) and if you can provide some insight or help for me and anyone else facing a similar situation.
Is there a technique that (we could say) is better or superior to others at improving mindfulness, raising one's consciousness and leading to enlightenment?
Is there or are there any resources or instructions that can help one practice right? - I've read mindfulness in plain English, TWIM, when awareness becomes natural, Right concentration (and others I cant recall at the moment) but many of them are very vague or even confusing in some parts, so I'm looking for something that is clear and knows what it wants to say.
Any resources, insights, or whatever you have is welcome! However, the point is to recomend something that you know works make progress towards enlightenment, develop mindfulness & concentration, attain insight into the nature of the mind and reality etc.
Thanks

Edited by lfvd95

Posted (edited)

This video helped me conceptualize meditation in a different way. it is a bit long. After watching it I had more motivation to meditate more often and longer. I haven't watched it in a while so I hope it is as relevant as I think it is. Consistency is important and understanding/observing how your motivations work will help you keep consistent with a practice if it truly is important to you.

I find it really helps to do several preparatory techniques before the actual meditation. I recently shared what I do when I meditate. I will link to it.

I am not enlightened or anything but I have been meditating for around 9 years off and on. I usually meditate 2x per day around 30-60 minutes each time sometimes more on the weekend. More often than not I get into a calm blissful focused state. I never looked into how the different states are mapped by people with jhanas. I would rather just go take a look myself. I have been more getting into trying to meditate throughout my day by continuously accepting the moment exactly as it is or being aware of awareness. I also often contemplate the nature of satisfaction and happiness paying attention to how accepting everything as it is affects my emotions.  I recently bought an audio book Leo recommended recently here: 

https://rupertspira.com/store/the-light-of-pure-knowing-thirty-meditations-on-the-essence-of-non-duality

You can listen to the first chapter for free. I plan to listen to it in the mornings while following along being as present as possible and try to maintain it as much as I can throughout the day.

Not sure if anything here helps you but I wish you the best.

Edited by Jordan

@lfvd95 darkness and silence, specially retreats for months within darkness and silence. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

At the current level you are, it's not about the technique. You've probably just hit a plateau in everyday practice.

What is usually adviced in this case is to take 10 day vipassana retreat or whatever week long meditation intensive you prefer

God-Realize, this is First Business. Know that unless I live properly, this is not possible.

There is this body, I should know the requirements of my body. This is first duty. We have obligations towards others, loved ones, family, society, etc. Without material wealth we cannot do these things, for that a professional duty.

There is Mind; mind is tricky. Its higher nature should be nurtured, then Mind becomes mature and Conscious. When all Duties are continuously fulfilled, then life becomes steady. In this steady life God is available; via 5-MeO-DMT, ... Living in Self-Love, Realizing I am Infinity & I am God

Shoonya 

Truth is neither a destination nor a conclusion. Truth is a living experience.

Inner silence is the one trusted path that you can't go wrong with. To confirm, go on a 1-month inner and outer silence intensive and see what happens. 

You don't need to do stuff to get enlightened; you need to clear the contents of your consciousness so they won't interfere with your already enlightened nature. 

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found merely a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse, of that one the world is no longer worthy." - Jesus

Just now, CoolDreamThanks said:

Inner silence is the one trusted path that you can't go wrong with. To confirm, go on a 1-month inner and outer silence intensive and see what happens. 

You don't need to do stuff to get enlightened; you need to clear the contents of your consciousness so they won't interfere with your already enlightened nature. 

Yet that is stuff to do 😂

Just now, Javfly33 said:

Yet that is stuff to do 😂

Nope. You clear the contents of your consciousness by stopping inner activities, which is a relaxation, a non-doing, a resting in God. Might just be semantics at this point, though. 

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found merely a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse, of that one the world is no longer worthy." - Jesus

1 hour ago, CoolDreamThanks said:

Nope. You clear the contents of your consciousness by stopping inner activities, which is a relaxation, a non-doing, a resting in God. Might just be semantics at this point, though. 

👌Got It. That make sense.

1 hour ago, CoolDreamThanks said: