enchanted

Spirituality, happiness, and IQ

25 posts in this topic

@enchanted spirituality has nothing to do with mind. Mind is an attachment.

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, SeaMonster said:

Well, the problem with this (as is the problem with the "multiple intelligences" idea) is the question of measurement.  How does one actually quantify these constructs, aside from simply opining ("hey, that guy is good with money, he must have a high financial IQ!".)

It's pretty much where we are already anyway - subjectively recognizing that different people have different talents or abilities.

IQ is held higher than it should be compared to these other areas. I am not a young man anymore, so I have no idea if education is the same as it was, I can only tell you about my lived experience and the experiences I have seen in those around me. I do still see a clear bias in people's reactions if you say your IQ is X, but to me it's just raw potential.

Financial Intelligence

Measuring financial intelligence would be reasonably simple.  @SeaMonster

I don't mean to be critical here, because my financial intelligence is also low. How you have phrased the question, shows why it needs to be taught as a subject, at the very least in schools. It's like starting a subject for the first time in school and asking the teacher how it would be structured or graded. The question is common, as people haven't considered it before.

What we need is a banker and an accountant to answer this question. Not me, who has no money in the bank.
I will try with my limited financial intelligence:

The long-term management of money and related strategies.
The ability to handle money under stress.
Good short-term decision-making regarding money, as we can't avoid these often crucial decisions at times that happen out of the blue.
Understanding how the core concepts of things like compound interest affect these choices, or your capacity to achieve anything financially in life.
Understanding the effects of debt and how to maintain a healthy bank balance. Something every child should be taught.

The capability to grasp these or similar topics and apply them would be the IQ measured, or its influence on the overall intelligence score a person has. A negative would be a neurotic person or someone who acts on impulse, and a positive would be someone skilled at planning, or able to understand financial data.

A Word on the Others

If you had asked me about emotional intelligence, I could have written a similar thing here. It would be more nuanced, as emotional intelligence cannot only be taught in a book as easily, it needs to be lived and experienced. Self-awareness would factor heavily in, the capacity to understand behavioral patterns and spot them both in yourself and others. You could test for that knowledge as a subject, but it's the ability to apply it to your and others' lives that is where intelligence can be measured.

Social intelligence would be harder, as it more directly involves other people. However, there are still clear markers, of how you handle an interview, a social event, and how effective you are at communicating. Anything involving social interactions with others. It's probably the easiest to measure but the hardest to find an accurate measurement across all scenarios.

Edited by BlueOak

3 hours ago, James123 said:

@enchanted spirituality has nothing to do with mind. Mind is an attachment.

Everything is an attachment.

Everything is spiritual.

No offense, but whoever thinks that being intelligent, being rich and being happy are somehow related to one another must be dumb as a rock.

Just now, Bazooka Jesus said:

No offense, but whoever thinks that being intelligent, being rich and being happy are somehow related to one another must be dumb as a rock.

I'll swap you for being below the poverty line for whatever wealth you have.