bebotalk

Corruption by culture

12 posts in this topic

Do cultural values impact corruption?

If given cultures are more prone to cutting corners or not being as fastidious, isn't this why they're corrupt?

Corruption happens everywhere. Though it's certainly true that the perception of corruption is higher in some countries more than others. 

Shouldn't anti-corruption efforts focus on minimised/eradicating "slack" cultural norms?

10 hours ago, bebotalk said:

Do cultural values impact corruption?

If given cultures are more prone to cutting corners or not being as fastidious, isn't this why they're corrupt?

Corruption happens everywhere. Though it's certainly true that the perception of corruption is higher in some countries more than others. 

Shouldn't anti-corruption efforts focus on minimised/eradicating "slack" cultural norms?

Yes to all of these. But corruption is also a much deeper issue than just cutting corners. That's just one way corruption can manifest.

Corruption requires the elimination of strong self-bias. The most self-biased people will be the most corrupt.

I doubt you will make much of a dent in corruption by telling people to stop being lazy.

I don't know of any culture that values laziness. Maybe island culture? But that is a small percentage of the world. Most cultures are hardworking.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

14 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

I doubt you will make much of a dent in corruption by telling people to stop being lazy.

I don't know of any culture that values laziness. Maybe island culture? But that is a small percentage of the world. Most cultures are hardworking.

It's not a matter of being hardworking or not, or valuing laziness. Cultures that aren't as fastidious are more prone to corruption, from my experience. 

26 minutes ago, bebotalk said:

Cultures that aren't as fastidious are more prone to corruption, from my experience.

Examples??

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Examples??

In some countries I've lived in and visited, it was the norm to accept police take bribes. Or even give them in given circumstances. It was also accepted that state services would be slow, or they would purposely cut corners. Nepotism was also tolerated, and overall there was a lack of adherence to rigorous and scrupulous standards. It doesn't mean people didn't work hard. It's just there was an accepted "cutting corners" culture, and whilst people criticised it they would realise that it's way too ingrained in everyday life to change. 

@bebotalk All that means is there was corruption.

Egoic development and level of consciousness determines the level of corruption, not the level of strictness.

Hippie culture is kind of loose with it, but they have high integrity.

"The magic you're looking for is in the work you're avoiding"

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@bebotalk All that means is there was corruption.

yes. And? though that's clearly not the point. I was making a comparative point. I've lived in countries with less perception of corruption and there is more of a rule-following/fastidious culture there. Corruption happens everywhere, but then maybe it's localised cultural norms that create a bigger perception of corruption. I personally believe as such, albeit it's just my own anecdotal experience. 

Like there must be a reason why some countries have more open corruption than others. Not so out of place to ask.....

Edited by bebotalk

Did I offend you? looool.

I guess some temple-inpsired "morals" are key here.

We're not all that. just the human way. 

I don't think so, human sacrificing aztecs were uncorrupted. Here and there monthly dose of temple sacrifices... Just like vaccines..

People become corrupt when they hold wrong ideas about themselves.

7 hours ago, Sucuk Ekmek said:

I don't think so, human sacrificing aztecs were uncorrupted. Here and there monthly dose of temple sacrifices... Just like vaccines..

People become corrupt when they hold wrong ideas about themselves.

How do you know the Aztecs weren't corrupt? Can you say Aztec kings didn't abuse their powers for their own gain?