LoneWonderer

What do you think happens during euthanasia?

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

So I was watching this documentary about a woman going through assisted suicide. towards the end as she's taking in the poison she sort of seems to fall asleep and in less than two minutes is declared clinically dead. It seems totally painless and that's what everyone in the documentary seems to imply but I wonder how true is this? is she asleep unaware of her demise? does she feel the process of death? does her "soul"fight even though we may not be able to see it? like a coma patient who is unresponsive but whose mind is very much alive and active?

Thank you

Edited by LoneWonderer

It probably feels like an enormous weight is lifted off one’s shoulders. 

Don’t forget that these practices may not be necessary in the future with the advancement of psychedelic therapy.

What is it like to fall into Deep Sleep? In a way what you described above is happening every night You go to sleep. but there is a way to be Aware when in deep sleep, this is a Sadhana in and of itself, its practice for Bodily Death, if You can be Aware of the moment btwn wakefulness and Sleep (this is not thinking about it or just mental alertness, that will keep you awake) then when Body Death happens and your Aware of this transition, then they say what your experience is in that place is very different. The Yogis explain it all but its best neither to believe or disbelieve, just live life to the fullest with full Awareness in place while Your here walking around in a Body with a Mind, we'll all experience what happens after that dies...

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

Posted (edited)

From a materialist perspective it would probably be something like fainting, you lose awareness of what is happening and enter a timeless and spaceless nothingness, similiar to how it was before your birth. The atoms that made "you" up slowly disintegrate and merge back into the rest of the world.

From an idealist perpective with consciousness as primary it would probably also be an experience similiar to fainting. A shift into a timeless and spaceless "realm", but not because your essential subjectivity disappears, but because you are released from the frame of who you thought you were, a specific person in a specific place and a specific time. Consciousness doesn't in and of itself have these qualities when it is not being filtered through the lens of "human". So that would be something totally inconceivable, something that can't possibly be captured in human language constructs. 

I think we lose all sense of human identity regardless of what happens, since it is very deeply connected to identification with the body. I see no reason to think consciousness is a product of the body itself, the other way around makes more sense to me as crazy as it might sound. Nothing changes from the pov of consciousness, all the apparent change happens within the contents of consciousness. 

Edited by TheAlchemist

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Probably the same thing that happens during sleep . You drift gradually into unconsciousness..Then you start having nocturnal dreams . And I have a hunch that this is also what happens during physical death ..you just rest for a while and then you start a new dream of existence or a new fantasy. 

All worlds are nothingness . Sleep is nothing .dreams are nothing. Existence is nothing .

my mind is gone to a better place.  I'm elevated ..going out of space . And I'm gone .

6 hours ago, Ishanga said:

while Your here walking around in a Body with a Mind,

There's no body with a mind. That's an illusion. The body is an empty shell with an apparent mind which is really no-thing. There's no-one in there doing anything, it's all just apparently happening. 

Know thyself....

7 hours ago, LoneWonderer said:

So I was watching this documentary about a woman going through assisted suicide. towards the end as she's taking in the poison she sort of seems to fall asleep and in less than two minutes is declared clinically dead. It seems totally painless and that's what everyone in the documentary seems to imply but I wonder how true is this? is she asleep unaware of her demise? does she feel the process of death? does her "soul"fight even though we may not be able to see it? like a coma patient who is unresponsive but whose mind is very much alive and active?

Thank you

That's just a dream. There's no one in there going through anything. Death is a concept. Nothing really happens.

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Princess Arabia said:

does her "soul"fight even though we may not be able to see it?

Yeah, that's possible.

I can be sleeping in my bed having a horrible nightmare while from the outside the body can look like it's sleeping peacefully.

The body is literally just a freaking shell. The REALNESS is all in first person perspective :)

Edited by blankisomeone

9 hours ago, Princess Arabia said:

There's no body with a mind. That's an illusion. The body is an empty shell with an apparent mind which is really no-thing. There's no-one in there doing anything, it's all just apparently happening. 

Sorry to have to say this too you but this sort of thinking is BS in my book, It nihilism plane and simple, nothing means nothing in your book if you believe in this crap, but if you actually believed that then you wouldn't be posting replies here or posting threads about nothing meaning anything, its hypocritical!

There's absolutely a Body and Mind, its just that is not what we are, its what we have to use here on this plane of existence, plane and simple!

Karma Means "Life is my Making", I am 100% responsible for my Inner Experience. -Sadhguru..."I don''t want Your Dreams to come True, I want something to come true for You beyond anything You could dream of!!" - Sadhguru

49 minutes ago, Ishanga said:

Sorry to have to say this too you but this sort of thinking is BS in my book, It nihilism plane and simple, nothing means nothing in your book if you believe in this crap, but if you actually believed that then you wouldn't be posting replies here or posting threads about nothing meaning anything, its hypocritical!

There's absolutely a Body and Mind, its just that is not what we are, its what we have to use here on this plane of existence, plane and simple!

I didn't post anything it just happened. Lol. No need to be so serious about shit. Nothing will change. Nihilism is just a word. Sorry, i won't spoil your dream. Even that is just happening, if you were so grounded in your beliefs and practices my comment wouldn't phase you, you interpreted it as me saying nothing matters, where did I say that. See makes no sense. Show me where I said nothing matters. 

Know thyself....

17 minutes ago, Princess Arabia said:

I didn't post anything it just happened. Lol. No need to be so serious about shit. Nothing will change. Nihilism is just a word. Sorry, i won't spoil your dream. Even that is just happening, if you were so grounded in your beliefs and practices my comment wouldn't phase you, you interpreted it as me saying nothing matters, where did I say that. See makes no sense. Show me where I said nothing matters. 

Excuse me but can you rephrase this, I don't understand, it sounds like mumbo jumbo lol:) 

On 4/1/2024 at 9:24 AM, Princess Arabia said:

Lol be careful with telling people they don't exist. The spiritual ego doesn't like it just as much as the materialist ego.

You are a selfless LACK OF APPEARANCE, that CONSTRUCTS AN APPEARANCE. But that appearance can disappear and reappear and we call that change, we call it time, we call it space, we call it distance, we call distinctness, we call it other. But notice...this appearance, is a SELF. A SELF IS A CONSTRUCTION!!! 

So if you want to know the TRUTH OF THE CONSTRUCTION. Just deconstruct the construction!!!! No point in playing these mind games!!! No point in creating needless complexity!!! The truth of what you are is a BLANK!!!! A selfless awareness....then that means there is NO OTHER, and everything you have ever perceived was JUST AN APPEARANCE, A MIRAGE, AN ILLUSION, IMAGINARY. 

Everything that appears....appears out of a lack of appearance/void/no-thing, non-sense (can't be sensed because there is nothing to sense). That is what you are, and what arises...is made of that. So nonexistence, arises/creates existence. And thus everything is solved.

Posted (edited)

On 31.3.2024 at 9:24 PM, LoneWonderer said:

Thank you

I'd guess it depends on how ready the person is to let go, although everyone willingly undergoing euthanasia is ready to let go to some degree. For the normie the ego would probably fight tooth and nail to resist it's own demise until it no longer can, which would probably feel like a huge burden have been lifted off One's shoulders. I'd guess the whole experience would be very lucid. I guess losing Your ego is not something that can go unnoticed, since the difference between you and no-you is night and day. I.e. it would probably be an intense internal battle. Like the whole spiritual path which can take a lifetime condensed into a couple of minutes. Although then it would be weird that they don't show external signs of this, maybe because their body is somehow paralyzed?

On 1.4.2024 at 4:37 AM, Princess Arabia said:

[...] Death is a concept. Nothing really happens.

Not from the human perspective.

Edited by Inception

"The magic you're looking for is in the work you're avoiding"

Most likely, when the body dies, the form begins to fade, but it does not do so immediately, there is an inertia. Reality is not material, the fact of stopping breathing does not mean the total disappearance of the structure, of karma. The most likely thing is that someone who was very attached has a very traumatic experience, and perhaps it will be perceived as prolonged over time. It is also probable that based on the pattern, the structure of existence of the completed cycle, a new cycle will begin. existence lives, evolves, moves. Maybe it's just appearance, but this appearance is deep, the total depth is in it.

3 hours ago, Inception said:

I'd guess it depends on how ready the person is to let go, although everyone willingly undergoing euthanasia is ready to let go to some degree. For the normie the ego would probably fight tooth and nail to resist it's own demise until it no longer can, which would probably feel like a huge burden have been lifted off One's shoulders. I'd guess the whole experience would be very lucid. I guess losing Your ego is not something that can go unnoticed, since the difference between you and no-you is night and day. I.e. it would probably be an intense internal battle. Like the whole spiritual path which can take a lifetime condensed into a couple of minutes. Although then it would be weird that they don't show external signs of this, maybe because their body is somehow paralyzed?

Not from the human perspective.

I guess you have experienced death before. If it's thought, it's conceptual by definition.

Know thyself....

Posted (edited)

Probably similar to Anesthesia. 

Edited by r0ckyreed

“Our most valuable resource is not time, but rather it is consciousness itself. Consciousness is the basis for everything, and without it, there could be no time and no resource possible. It is only through consciousness and its cultivation that one’s passions, one’s focus, one’s curiosity, one’s time, and one’s capacity to love can be actualized and lived to the fullest.” - r0ckyreed

On 4/2/2024 at 6:40 PM, Razard86 said:

Lol be careful with telling people they don't exist. The spiritual ego doesn't like it just as much as the materialist ego.

People may not exist, but BS certainly does :D

Posted (edited)

Same thing than on a big dose of Benzodiazepine but X10, X100, then Xinfinite. 

Edited by Schizophonia

The devil is in the details.

On 4.4.2024 at 1:07 AM, Princess Arabia said:

I guess you have experienced death before. If it's thought, it's conceptual by definition.

Obviously I haven't, otherwise i couldn't be communicating with you. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that death is conceptual. All I'm saying is that ego takes illusion for reality, which means that from the illusory egoic perspective, death, just like suffering, is as real as it gets.

"The magic you're looking for is in the work you're avoiding"