Raze

Israel / Palestine News Thread

3,211 posts in this topic

https://www.haaretz.com/opinion/2024-06-16/ty-article-opinion/.premium/he-killed-a-palestinian-teen-now-hes-receiving-an-honorary-doctorate-for-israeli-heroism/00000190-1d55-d3e6-a191-5f7fd3880000

Flashback: Friday morning, July 3, 2015, Qalandiyah checkpoint in the West Bank. The traffic moves slowly. A Palestinian teenager approaches the car of Binyamin Brigade commander Col. Yisrael Shomer, hurls a large rock into the windshield and flees. No one was hurt. The future honorary doctor's blood boils; he gets out of his car and gives chase.

The brigade commander fires three bullets from a range of six to seven meters into the back of the fleeing boy, who falls bleeding and dies soon afterward in the hospital. The death penalty for throwing a rock. Before speeding away, the brigade commander took the time to turn over his victim's body with his foot to check his condition, the way one turns over a dead animal, without calling for medical help.

Mohammed Kosba was 17, the child of refugees. He was the third son whom his parents, Fatma and Sami, lost. His brothers Yasser, 10, and Samer, 15, were also shot dead by the army after throwing rocks. They were killed within 40 days of each other in the winter of 2002. ("The 40 days of Sami Kosba," I called my article about them.) The first time I came to their home in the refugee camp, after his brothers were killed, Mohammed was 4.

He was buried next to his brothers 13 years later, and the blood on the traffic island had not yet dried when I got there. The IDF promised to investigate. The teenager posed no threat to him when the brigade commander decided to punish him for daring to throw a rock at the car of a Jewish officer. If this had happened on the Ayalon Highway, in central Israel, the shooter presumably would have been arrested and tried for reckless homicide. But Shomer was an IDF officer and his victim was a Palestinian teenager who had lost two of his brothers and didn't want to see an occupation army near his refugee camp.

A year later, the army closed the investigation, as is customary. Two years later, the IDF's last halfway-principled chief of staff, Gadi Eisenkot, delayed the promotion of the officer who killed the boy as he fled. But Shomer's career got back on track after the minor derailment. He is set to become the head of the IDF Operations Division, with an honorary doctorate.

15 hours ago, Karmadhi said:

@Nivsch @Gennadiy1981 The difference between you 2 is that Nivsch tends to be more central in his views regarding this issue while Gennadiy is more radical. Nivsch calls people like Ben Gvir too radical and extreme. Also most importantly, he is in favour of two state and does not use Torah and bible stuff to justify anything. And he seems to have some compassion for the suffering of Palestinians and does admit the government goes too far sometimes. So yeah.

@Vrubel Is somewhere between Nivsch and Gennadiy. More harsh than Nivsch but less radical than Gennadiy. He is pro two state and recognizes that the land is also partially Palestinian. But when it comes to the Israeli Gaza response, I have not seen him say that they went too far ever.

My assessment of you guys.

Thank you for being here and posting about this, it gives interesting insight of Israelis and how they differ towards this issues.

Thank you for the feedback, that was the a very fair one and nicely observed. And you know it’s good that we have three different opinions showing all three layers of society, the extreme ends and the center, remember it’s all part of the equation.

15 hours ago, Merkabah Star said:

@Karmadhi yeah the gennadiy guy is in your face but I actually like him the most because he is the most honest. I respect that more. 

Thank you @Merkabah Star sometimes I am too honest and cannot hold back, I don’t like to think one thing, say another and do a third. And by the way it’s not only in politics it’s everywhere. On a different note, I attended a wedding and gosh the bride was not good looking (to say flat she was ugly, not by behavior or by act, just she was extremely not attracted, you know what I mean, sometimes you just have ugly people). So people were giving her compliments how beautiful she was, but my tongue could not have said that to her, even people were pushing me to give her a compliment so the best what I did was to tell her that she had amazingly beautiful dress. And honestly during the evening I even tried to force myself to say but just could not. So this is the price for being honest. However on the other hand, in small business, if you are very honest or brutally honest, that may swing your way and people would appreciate that. Again not probably on the corporate level,  but for a small business, you will be surprised how many people gave compliments and thanked me for being honest and flat with them. 

Since you gave a feedback about me, I would like to give a feedback about you. I see your posts at other topics, and honestly I like your feedback and I like how you look soberly at things and I like how you are truly on the center not too much to the left and not too much to the right. But no offense, when it comes to Israel, I see you kinda loose it, you are very into one side, just the videos you post. Contemplate on that, maybe something personally bother you, or something similar may have happened in your life. Again just observing. 

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Gennadiy1981 said:

On a different note, I attended a wedding and gosh the bride was not good looking (to say flat she was ugly, not by behavior or by act, just she was extremely not attracted, you know what I mean, sometimes you just have ugly people). So people were giving her compliments how beautiful she was, but my tongue could not have said that to her, even people were pushing me to give her a compliment so the best what I did was to tell her that she had amazingly beautiful dress. And honestly during the evening I even tried to force myself to say but just could not. So this is the price for being honest.

I say a little prayer to people that others would judge when i walk by them, like homeless people or anyone other people would look down on, I say in my head things like i hope you find peace, beautiful angel or bless your heart and soul.

The bridal story reminds  me of the Seinfeld episode where everyone is saying how beautiful the baby was when its was really ugly. 😀

Edited by Merkabah Star

On 6/17/2024 at 5:56 AM, Merkabah Star said:

@Karmadhi yeah the gennadiy guy is in your face but I actually like him the most because he is the most honest. I respect that more. 

I also appreciate his honesty.

I believe we are all being honest, but the cynical side of us has a harder time believing someone's sincerity when their positions are more pallatable. It's the reason why someone like Donald Trump has so much trust from his base. The thought process is, he's said these wild things but I'd rather have someone unsavory tell me how it is than a two faced democrat speaking from both sides of their mouth. 

The only problem is, in Donald Trump's case he is also one of the most blatant liars and frauds.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, hundreth said:

I believe we are all being honest, but the cynical side of us has a harder time believing someone's sincerity when their positions are more pallatable.

Yes. Or when contradict how one thought Israelis "should" behave, what is natural to think about a society you don't know or especially very far geographically from to which the mind default position is negativity.

Edited by Nivsch

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

Screenshot_20240618-214008_Chrome.jpg

🌲 You can rarely pretend to give an effective advice to someone just from the fact that you cannot see the unique inner logic behind his actions, no matter how obvious you will mistakenly think the answer is. If you really want to help and not to harm, encourage him to trust more his own logic.

5 hours ago, hundreth said:

I also appreciate his honesty.

I believe we are all being honest, but the cynical side of us has a harder time believing someone's sincerity when their positions are more pallatable. It's the reason why someone like Donald Trump has so much trust from his base. The thought process is, he's said these wild things but I'd rather have someone unsavory tell me how it is than a two faced democrat speaking from both sides of their mouth. 

The only problem is, in Donald Trump's case he is also one of the most blatant liars and frauds.

We are all too emotional, myself included, so when you see someone who has no emotion in it and even though they are saying things like there is no two state solution, it kind of gets through easier and feels more logical. As an example, Leo doesn’t post with emotions. What people say is a bit punchier when you remove the emotional energy and drama.

Trump would get my vote if i was American. Same kind of thing. Both sides are lying scumbags. Better to be with the guy that’s not afraid to say it to your face. 😀

Posted (edited)

@Raze The amount of war crimes they do at this point does not even shock me anymore.

I dont know what else is left for them to do.

Every evil known to the human mind has been done at this point there.

100x worse than Hamas attacks

Israeli politician quotes Hitler, talks of wiping out Gaza | Al Jazeera Newsfeed (youtube.com)

The face of modern Israel, i honestly do not understand how a Jew think about quoting Hitler out of all people.

Seems like 4 Israeli ministers are Neo Nazi in their attitude (agriculture and heritiage minister on top of the common 2 which are well known to be like that).

Edited by Karmadhi

@Raze I saw the videos you posted but how do you know or what makes you think that the man on the ground is shot by an Israeli army. It can have very well being shot by either Hamas militant or by PLO militia, indeed that is more likely to be the case, I do not see any IDF there. And the PLO militia is very similar in that manner and I did see videos in the last of them executing someone who believe collaborated with Israel. Now the  video about bombing, ok I see people running but I do not see bombs being dropped. And especially you quote Al Jazeera, they are extremely biased and indeed many times lied with their info about Israel and quite about USA, but mostly about Israel. The videos do not show IDF in the picture but about IDF you need to be very careful and filter as there are tremendous amount of fake info floating out there.

@Merkabah Star I see you guys mentioned about people being emotional vs not. Again I personally have a skin in the game and therefore I do have personal biases so I do have a side to pick. But otherwise for other topics I am pretty much neutral and believe it or not I am even politically maroon. Most items outside my bias I do not tackle them emotionally because emotion can get the best of us and we can loose a grip on reality. I remember when I was a teen I got invited to a restarurant for someone’s birthday party and outside that restaurant they posted one teen who was murdered in a fight, basically it’s more of a. Ishtar restaurant, you know the ones that work till 4am, and he was with his friend who encountered another teen group and basically he was stabbed outside the premises. But I only witness the photo to that teen and flowers under since the event probably happened few weeks before. And you know, even though I didn’t know the teen who got Murdered, but I remember as a teen myself I got so aggregated, that I even told me friends that I would avenge but killing the murderer. Don’t know why but something sparked in me for no apparent reason. So you can see if we let our emotions run, we are very susceptible to jumping to conclusions. 

But for example take Russia and Ukraine, I have no skin in the game, so I am actually very neutral to that entire thing and I can understand both sides and I do see their arguments.

Posted (edited)

@Gennadiy1981

28 minutes ago, Gennadiy1981 said:

@Raze I saw the videos you posted but how do you know or what makes you think that the man on the ground is shot by an Israeli army. It can have very well being shot by either Hamas militant or by PLO militia, indeed that is more likely to be the case, I do not see any IDF there. And the PLO militia is very similar in that manner and I did see videos in the last of them executing someone who believe collaborated with Israel. Now the  video about bombing, ok I see people running but I do not see bombs being dropped. And especially you quote Al Jazeera, they are extremely biased and indeed many times lied with their info about Israel and quite about USA, but mostly about Israel. The videos do not show IDF in the picture but about IDF you need to be very careful and filter as there are tremendous amount of fake info floating out there.

@Merkabah Star I see you guys mentioned about people being emotional vs not. Again I personally have a skin in the game and therefore I do have personal biases so I do have a side to pick. But otherwise for other topics I am pretty much neutral and believe it or not I am even politically maroon. Most items outside my bias I do not tackle them emotionally because emotion can get the best of us and we can loose a grip on reality. I remember when I was a teen I got invited to a restarurant for someone’s birthday party and outside that restaurant they posted one teen who was murdered in a fight, basically it’s more of a. Ishtar restaurant, you know the ones that work till 4am, and he was with his friend who encountered another teen group and basically he was stabbed outside the premises. But I only witness the photo to that teen and flowers under since the event probably happened few weeks before. And you know, even though I didn’t know the teen who got Murdered, but I remember as a teen myself I got so aggregated, that I even told me friends that I would avenge but killing the murderer. Don’t know why but something sparked in me for no apparent reason. So you can see if we let our emotions run, we are very susceptible to jumping to conclusions. 

But for example take Russia and Ukraine, I have no skin in the game, so I am actually very neutral to that entire thing and I can understand both sides and I do see their arguments.

Al Jazeera, while being biased, is actually a decent source of information from the other side! Because of them they gathered what happened, during the Al Nakba from 80 years ago up to recent:

Now if you have any common sense left over, ask yourself why Israel labeled the Al Nakba a top secret confidential matter? Especially when it isn't a threat to their national security? And why they tried to suppress this information?

Edited by Danioover9000

You all can keep hiding from truth, lying from truth, sleeping on truth, but TRUTH WILL CONSUME YOU!

@Danioover9000 regarding the Al Nakba this is the first time I am hearing this that Israel kept it as a secret. This is one of those conspiracy theories out there, no offense. Israel never tried to label it as a top secret at all, and by the way Al Jaazeera did a good deal of lies like during the 2006 Lebanon war, it was Hezbollah who was shooting from a hospital and their shells detonated but or was reported that Israel did it and a week later it was found otherwise, where major news apologized or retracted, Al Jaazeera did not bother to apologize. So that’s one.

I am not hiding from any truth, I am a flat out person who says what I think and what I feel. 

Posted (edited)

@Gennadiy1981

13 minutes ago, Gennadiy1981 said:

@Danioover9000 regarding the Al Nakba this is the first time I am hearing this that Israel kept it as a secret. This is one of those conspiracy theories out there, no offense. Israel never tried to label it as a top secret at all, and by the way Al Jaazeera did a good deal of lies like during the 2006 Lebanon war, it was Hezbollah who was shooting from a hospital and their shells detonated but or was reported that Israel did it and a week later it was found otherwise, where major news apologized or retracted, Al Jaazeera did not bother to apologize. So that’s one.

I am not hiding from any truth, I am a flat out person who says what I think and what I feel. 

YES! Keep poisoning the well, keep filling every counter source or alternative source with so much radioactive poison and propaganda that we lose trust in anything said here. Yikes you Zionists are made of lies, literally building blocks of devilry!😂

Edited by Danioover9000

Man you need to do some soul searching. You are being very bitter. This is a conscious politics forum, no need to be right and everyone else is wrong. You stick to your beliefs. Why do you think you can convince us but we cannot convince you. This world is not black and white and there are many perspectives and opinions and views. 

27 minutes ago, Gennadiy1981 said:

Man you need to do some soul searching. You are being very bitter. This is a conscious politics forum, no need to be right and everyone else is wrong. You stick to your beliefs. Why do you think you can convince us but we cannot convince you. This world is not black and white and there are many perspectives and opinions and views. 

I tried as well. Unfortunately you can't reply to that poster with any substance or reason without them ignoring everything you say and going on a crazy rant. So I stopped bothering.