-
Content count
19,240 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Everything posted by Joseph Maynor
-
My Top 3 Clips from 101-150 116 Spiritual Teachers Are Wasting Your Time 122 What Is Requisite Variety 143 Things You Can't Trust Anyone With
-
No I prefer to play live. I have made videos that were tutorials but I took them down because I realize my approach to playing Jazz is so different from what is commonly taught that they might even be harmful to Jazz students who are trying to make a career out of being a Jazz musician. This is one of the performances of me playing live on YouTube. It is very old.
-
But this begs the question as to what deliberate practice means. I never wanted to play music to please anyone else. I decided early on that I would only play what I enjoyed and I took the attitude that if others like it, that is a bonus. I play music for myself, so this is the difference between doing something for yourself primarily or doing it to make money -- where you are doing it to impress or please others because you are trying to make money doing it. However, I still want to improve even if I am doing it for myself because I hear myself and I listen to a lot of music, so I want to sound better for me. But that is a different motivation and not the same sort of pressure of trying to make money or a career as a Jazz musician. For me deliberate practice is whatever I want to do, but I do see how if you want to improve, it is good to find a way to attain another level: otherwise you're not really pushing yourself, you are just looping on what you always do. That is not really practicing. Practicing is when you are isolating something to try to become better at mastering an artform.
-
-
Joseph Maynor replied to Brandon L's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
This video is tough to watch. -
Joseph Maynor replied to RisingLane's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
I would say the overarching I Am is not ego. -
Yes. This is the most important thing. To keep playing. Practicing depresses me because even when I am practicing I like to be playing. I don't have a strict duality between practicing and playing. When I am practicing, I am still performing for myself. It is always about the sound and performing IMO.
-
Anyone running a business must elevate their brand and themselves, unless you want to rely completely on donations.
-
This is the elephant in the room. This is why arguing about spirituality never ends.
-
Joseph Maynor replied to RisingLane's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
I think the I Am goes beyond ego. Ego is a very loaded term so I don't like to use it in this context. But there is an I that is not part of ego to use your word. -
Joseph Maynor replied to RisingLane's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
I agree with this with the exception that the center is not synonymous with the ego IMO. -
I've had close friends that have schizophrenia, so I do know how they differ from me. I try not to be judgmental.
-
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
My experience suggests otherwise. I've seen situations where people behave in not very nice ways because they do not think morality exists. -
Doesn't assuming everything is a hallucination seem like a schizophrenic take?
-
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
My question for you is how do you know this is right for others? -
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
It seems like there is a waffling with trying to be serious and trying to be funny on here, and I can't tell when one is being emphasized or not. -
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
What mistake am I making? -
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
Right. So the next step is that there is no morality, except all these creators also presuppose it. -
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
Jim Newman is entertaining but he is not really good. -
I think we need to contemplate if we are communicating for real on here or not. That goes to truth too I hope!
-
Joseph Maynor replied to Razard86's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
This no separate self thing gets old just like the no self thing IMO. -
Joseph Maynor replied to Wilhelm44's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
Jim Newman wouldn't be able to fool me, but I would still do coffee or dinner with him. -
Use your direct experience to find out.
-
Joseph Maynor replied to Razard86's topic in Spirituality, Consciousness, Awakening, Mysticism, Meditation, God
Again, this dismissal of the self also dismisses actual relation. It is a way to neg someone or negate someone by claiming they have too much I -- but really the people doing this are hiding behind the scenes too. Hiding behind a fence. -
Interacting with people you never met before in real life online.
